Beach renourishment affect
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By BobbyO
  • 3 Post By rook3434
  • 1 Post By Jason in Enid
  • 4 Post By Terry Soloman
  • 1 Post By smokeythecat

Thread: Beach renourishment affect

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1

    Jun 2019
    6
    10 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Beach renourishment affect

    In my area, the SC east coast, beach renourishment is common. This is done by pumping huge amounts of sand from the water onto the beach then leveling out the sand using large bulldozers. This adds feet to the height of the beaches. Just wondering if these areas are better or worse for metal detecting. Seems like metal on the beach would be buried further but then something in the water may be pumped up on shore. Of course the pumped sand goes through pumps which may destroy objects. Comments?
    Terry Soloman and A2coins like this.

  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    Rook

    Nov 2013
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    22,978
    83607 times
    Cache Hunting
    First, welcome to the forum. Just remember that the beach gets replenished yearly with finds. I know my machine will find small coins up to 9-10 inches. Good luck.
    AARC, A2coins and Terry Soloman like this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

  3. #3
    us
    Silver Fiend

    Oct 2009
    9,560
    9219 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyO View Post
    In my area, the SC east coast, beach renourishment is common. This is done by pumping huge amounts of sand from the water onto the beach then leveling out the sand using large bulldozers. This adds feet to the height of the beaches. Just wondering if these areas are better or worse for metal detecting. Seems like metal on the beach would be buried further but then something in the water may be pumped up on shore. Of course the pumped sand goes through pumps which may destroy objects. Comments?
    Seems like about 99.9% of the time, the sand pumped in is barren. Yes, all its doing is burying the gold and silver already there so that you can only hope to find fresh drops. The sand isnt going through the pump, that would shred the impellers. But I'm sure there is likely a screen to keep any larger "debris" from being pumped in. Id be more interested in diving the dredge spot after they move.
    A2coins likes this.
    You can follow me in other places.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

  4. #4
    Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 -- Minelab Pro Find 35 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick // Sponsored By Fort Bedford Metal Detectors
    17,939
    25996 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have found OLD silver and gold after "renourishment's," dredged up from places I can't get to without SCUBA gear. It's a blessing, and a curse.

  5. #5
    Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

    Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    33,515
    42147 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Would be hard to tell but would be fun to see
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

  6. #6
    Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

    Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    33,515
    42147 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Welcome to tnet from MI Tommy
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

  7. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    17,523
    32346 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    It is a blessing and a curse. When they did the replenishment at Coin Beach, Delaware, for awhile they were lazy and just dumped buckets full of sinkers, reales, gold escudos, fish hooks, cell phones and everything right on the sand. Ever try to carry 15 pounds of sinkers off a beach a mile from the car? My daughter got 2 eight reales, a 1/2 escudo and several shipwreck coppers in one little pile, in 5 minutes no less, she whooped me real good that day - with the 15 pounds of sinkers and 500 miles of monofilament line!
    Bum Luck likes this.

  8. #8
    us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    3,484
    1270 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    It is a blessing and a curse. When they did the replenishment at Coin Beach, Delaware, for awhile they were lazy and just dumped buckets full of sinkers, reales, gold escudos, fish hooks, cell phones and everything right on the sand. Ever try to carry 15 pounds of sinkers off a beach a mile from the car? My daughter got 2 eight reales, a 1/2 escudo and several shipwreck coppers in one little pile, in 5 minutes no less, she whooped me real good that day - with the 15 pounds of sinkers and 500 miles of monofilament line!
    I hope she wasn't complaining..........

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    I have found OLD silver and gold after "renourishment's," dredged up from places I can't get to without SCUBA gear. It's a blessing, and a curse.
    I can imagine. Any time there's disturbance, there's opportunity.

    Just don't fall in a slush hole.
    Last edited by Bum Luck; Jan 12, 2020 at 03:48 PM.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

    "You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

  9. #9
    us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35, Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil
    807
    1855 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    In Florida they often get the sand from near by shoals or bars and contain absolutely nothing. Got to avoid for a year while it gradually gets replenished and then it washes away again. I prefer the washed away beaches.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

 

 

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Beach renourishment
    By tarpon192 in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Dec 08, 2013, 10:54 AM
  2. beach renourishment...
    By sandnut in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Oct 16, 2011, 01:37 PM
  3. BEACH RENOURISHMENT
    By tarpon192 in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug 28, 2011, 05:37 PM
  4. Beach Renourishment Battle- Florida
    By itmaiden in forum Shipwrecks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Dec 09, 2009, 07:40 PM
  5. So much for beach renourishment.... lol
    By Hangingfor8 in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: Aug 26, 2008, 05:33 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0