Beach renourishment affect

BobbyO

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area, the SC east coast, beach renourishment is common. This is done by pumping huge amounts of sand from the water onto the beach then leveling out the sand using large bulldozers. This adds feet to the height of the beaches. Just wondering if these areas are better or worse for metal detecting. Seems like metal on the beach would be buried further but then something in the water may be pumped up on shore. Of course the pumped sand goes through pumps which may destroy objects. Comments?

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
First, welcome to the forum. Just remember that the beach gets replenished yearly with finds. I know my machine will find small coins up to 9-10 inches. Good luck.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area, the SC east coast, beach renourishment is common. This is done by pumping huge amounts of sand from the water onto the beach then leveling out the sand using large bulldozers. This adds feet to the height of the beaches. Just wondering if these areas are better or worse for metal detecting. Seems like metal on the beach would be buried further but then something in the water may be pumped up on shore. Of course the pumped sand goes through pumps which may destroy objects. Comments?

Seems like about 99.9% of the time, the sand pumped in is barren. Yes, all its doing is burying the gold and silver already there so that you can only hope to find fresh drops. The sand isnt going through the pump, that would shred the impellers. But I'm sure there is likely a screen to keep any larger "debris" from being pumped in. Id be more interested in diving the dredge spot after they move.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found OLD silver and gold after "renourishment's," dredged up from places I can't get to without SCUBA gear. It's a blessing, and a curse.:skullflag:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be hard to tell but would be fun to see

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from MI Tommy

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a blessing and a curse. When they did the replenishment at Coin Beach, Delaware, for awhile they were lazy and just dumped buckets full of sinkers, reales, gold escudos, fish hooks, cell phones and everything right on the sand. Ever try to carry 15 pounds of sinkers off a beach a mile from the car? My daughter got 2 eight reales, a 1/2 escudo and several shipwreck coppers in one little pile, in 5 minutes no less, she whooped me real good that day - with the 15 pounds of sinkers and 500 miles of monofilament line!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a blessing and a curse. When they did the replenishment at Coin Beach, Delaware, for awhile they were lazy and just dumped buckets full of sinkers, reales, gold escudos, fish hooks, cell phones and everything right on the sand. Ever try to carry 15 pounds of sinkers off a beach a mile from the car? My daughter got 2 eight reales, a 1/2 escudo and several shipwreck coppers in one little pile, in 5 minutes no less, she whooped me real good that day - with the 15 pounds of sinkers and 500 miles of monofilament line!

I hope she wasn't complaining..........

I have found OLD silver and gold after "renourishment's," dredged up from places I can't get to without SCUBA gear. It's a blessing, and a curse.:skullflag:

I can imagine. Any time there's disturbance, there's opportunity.

Just don't fall in a slush hole.

Last edited:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In Florida they often get the sand from near by shoals or bars and contain absolutely nothing. Got to avoid for a year while it gradually gets replenished and then it washes away again. I prefer the washed away beaches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread