Simplex ~ In The Field Testing and Results

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Simplex arrived a couple of days before Christmas.

I've taken it out and spent some good hours searching with it.

There's a walking path that makes it way around a local park,
I'm a sand guy and I don't go in the grass that often.
But I figured that targets could be along the path, either side, in the grass.

Very mineralized here, machine said 89. something to 93.

My friend Walt, who teaches gold finding in Arizona, told me some numbers to look for.
He said 22 for nickels, my readings were more 24 / 25.

First find was three coins in a hole.

20191230_151413.jpg

Next was a 1 dollar coin
(the reading was 90 / 91)

20191230_152015.jpg

I mad my way around the park.
Flattened steel bottle caps were one thing that could fool the system.
But, if sweep it in a number of directions, the numbers would vary enough to tell you, "not a coin"

I drove to a number of places.
Checked some more grass, wood chips, and sand.
I was out for many hours.

Here is what I scurried up,........

20200105_135939.jpg

And the trash,........

20200105_140444.jpg

Numbers

Pennies seemed to be 75 /76

Nickles looked to be 24 /25

Dimes were reading 80 / 81

Quarters came in 90 /91

Dollar coins read 90 /91

All the trash

Those flattened steel bottle caps try for a 90 or so number,....
but the number won't stay stable, but some are too close to call.

Those pull tabs with two holes, the ones people break off and toss,.....
They often gave a "double beep", and were a bit louder than average signals.

In about every case a bad target could not hold consistent numbers.

Evaluation

Good machine.

A little heavier than a common Tesoro.

Seems to be sensitive to small targets.

The coil is bigger than I usually use in parks

Not too bad around poles, which was a surprise

"Severe" interference with the TRX pinpointer and Garrett Propointer

Perhaps a Notka unit at 11.6KHz, instead of 12KHz would help.

SanMan

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice finds for just getting to know the machine. Those VDI’s are pretty close to
My Fisher 75 Ltd. Congratulations :icon_thumright:

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got mine yesterday, spend t hour and a half around my house in the yard, my house was built in 2015 but used to be a house here with an outhouse that's still standing and that home was built early 1900's. Anyways, I've never even held a machine but I bought the simplex + yesterday. Today all I could find is trash lol well I guess not necessarily trash but nothing that i could realky tell what the item was. My simplex gave good signals all over the yard but I'm just not familiar with these detectors and readings yet. Cany wait to use it and learn the system though. I'm hooked! And the buckle was cool or bracket 20200105_162141.jpg 20200105_162152.jpg

OP
OP
S

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds for just getting to know the machine. Those VDI’s are pretty close to
My Fisher 75 Ltd. Congratulations :icon_thumright:

Thanks rook.

I have to add this,.........
It's the first thing I found with / without the Simplex.

20191229_211433.jpg

It was cold as hell the first night I was going to take out the Simplex.

I drove to a park and was still considering to go out or not.
As I walked across the parking lot to the restrooms, I saw a colorful piece of paper.
First I thought it might be foreign money, went over and picked it up,..... $100 bill.

I figured I had done well enough for the night,.......

Took the machine out the next day and night,.........
Until I was exhaused.

I searched 5 parks one after another.

OP
OP
S

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got mine yesterday, spend t hour and a half around my house in the yard, my house was built in 2015 but used to be a house here with an outhouse that's still standing and that home was built early 1900's. Anyways, I've never even held a machine but I bought the simplex + yesterday. Today all I could find is trash lol well I guess not necessarily trash but nothing that i could realky tell what the item was. My simplex gave good signals all over the yard but I'm just not familiar with these detectors and readings yet. Cany wait to use it and learn the system though. I'm hooked! And the buckle was cool or bracket

The numbers I gave above will put you on the right track.

Also, lay out some coins on a clean piece of ground and sweep over them,......
Bury some and try that, try bottle caps and pull tabs, learn what numbers are likely for what target.

Read the manual a couple of times.

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The numbers I gave above will put you on the right track.

Also, lay out some coins on a clean piece of ground and sweep over them,......
Bury some and try that, try bottle caps and pull tabs, learn what numbers are likely for what target.

Read the manual a couple of times.
Ok thanks for the help!

OP
OP
S

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks for the help!

Always come here and ask questions.

There's guys here with tons of experience.

That property you were talking about?

Try this,..........

You have 4 modes there, for now try "field" mode.
Don't crank the sensitivity, set it to show 3 bars.

Can't hurt to ground balance, be sure to use a patch of ground that is clean.

Now work the edges of that property.
Take your time, check every inch along what ever walls / fence all the way around.

That will find you some cool stuff.

A key, a couple of washers, and maybe a bashed up ring.

For now, "Dig All Signals"

Take note what gave you what number,........

You'll get to the point where you'll be able to predict pretty well what's in the ground.

Audio plays an important role, take note of what target produces what in the way of audio.

Armed with those two bits of information you will be on your way.

Then practice, use the machine, make up games, have friends bury targets in the yard.
Get to know the machine, the more confident you are in your machine the better result in the field.

"Remember"
"When in doubt, dig it up"

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Try this,..........

Take your time, check every inch along what ever walls / fence all the way around.

You'll get to the point where you'll be able to predict pretty well what's in the ground.

Audio plays an important role, take note of what target produces what in the way of audio.

Then practice, use the machine, make up games, have friends bury targets in the yard.
Get to know the machine, the more confident you are in your machine the better result in the field.

"Remember"
I used it on field mode most of the time and I got so many hits. Some were 20's, 50's, 60-70 then 80-93. The higher ones I dug I found stuff. Usually nails or what I had pictured. Thought the few I had around 90 were gonna be something good. Just to dig the stuff i had pictured. My pointer would hit on two or three different places inside my holes as well. Just didnt know what I truly needed to did and what was scrap.

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Try this,..........

"Remember"
The way my property is set up, there is an old barn on the back of my property. An old broken down outhouse is between my house and the barn on the side of the property. Problem is, there is a ton of trash that people have left in the past in and around the edge of my property. No walls or fences to look around. Mostly wooded. Thought about hitting around the outhouse but stayed mainly around the barn today

OP
OP
S

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way my property is set up, there is an old barn on the back of my property. An old broken down outhouse is between my house and the barn on the side of the property. Problem is, there is a ton of trash that people have left in the past in and around the edge of my property. No walls or fences to look around. Mostly wooded. Thought about hitting around the outhouse but stayed mainly around the barn today

The trash is going to be a chore, I hate to tell you, but bit by bit, you will get through it.

You get three signals in a hole?
Drag the stuff out of there and see what it is.

If worse comes to worse get some wood and some 1/4" screen and sift some of that ground.

You have a fight on your hands.

That is a good spot to pace.

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trash is going to be a chore, I hate to tell you, but bit by bit, you will get through it.

If worse comes to worse get some wood and some 1/4" screen and sift some of that ground.

I didnt know if my pinpointer was picking up rocks or roots lol so I could have missed something then? It's like that all over my property by the barn. Figured itd be just more of the stuff I already found but confused me as why there were so many signals. I put it on the park setting and it cut alot out. Was still getting hits but not very strong tones and montor said they were deep

OP
OP
S

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pace from the back door, pace from the barn door,.......
Think in your headhow and where would you bury something of value.

Check the base of trees, check any low spots on the property, check all around any entrances and exits.
Check all foot traffic areas.
If you can check under the front and or back porch do it.

There is stuff there, you canbet on it.

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pace from the back door, pace from the barn door,.......
Think in your headhow and where would you bury something of value.

Check the base of trees, check any low spots on the property, check all around any entrances and exits.
Check all foot traffic areas.
If you can check under the front and or back porch do it.

There is stuff there, you canbet on it.
I'm hoping so, I cant wait to get out again. Trying to do some research as to where exactly the old house was compared to mine but came up empty handed so far.

OP
OP
S

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt know if my pinpointer was picking up rocks or roots lol so I could have missed something then? It's like that all over my property by the barn. Figured itd be just more of the stuff I already found but confused me as why there were so many signals. I put it on the park setting and it cut alot out. Was still getting hits but not very strong tones and montor said they were deep

There is tons of crap there.

Imagine the yard of a guy who he and his sons did auto mods and repairs for 20 years.

You should consider sifting some of that surface trash, no doubt it's masking good targets.

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is tons of crap there.

Imagine the yard of a guy who he and his sons did auto mods and repairs for 20 years.

You should consider sifting some of that surface trash, no doubt it's masking good targets.
Ok I'm gonna get on it, thanks for your help sanman. Keep you posted

OP
OP
S

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And check every square inch of that barn.

Especially the corners of the building.

There is a jar of coins there somewhere I can feel it.

OP
OP
S

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread