Custom Fabricated Digging Tool

Rick Dangerous

Sep 12, 2018
St. Albans, VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a at a friends house this weekend and he showed me his custom fabricated digging tool. It's like a mini-backhoe that you push into the earth and then pull the lever to scoop up. He said it works well in the hard soil of VT.

What do you think?

IMG_20200111_113838.jpg IMG_20200111_113833.jpg IMG_20200111_113823.jpg

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks very impractical to me. No place to kick into the soil, heavy and will do no better a job than a good regular shovel. I bet I can dig a better hole faster with this. It is a narrow shovel which I put serrations in with a simple bench grinder. Light weight, efficient, and fairly inexpensive, cuts through hard dirt and roots very well. Of course shovels are for in the fields and woods, I NEVER use one in public parks, schools, or any lawn situations.

DSCN1505.JPG

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Now that is one heck of a contraption. Looks like it came from the first Terminator movie.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to love human ingenuity, looks heavy though

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
too big , too heavy . no need to reinvent the wheel . I have used the same WW2 army entrenching shovel for 30 years.
it's small but effective. his fabricating skills are good but the product is not useful in my opinion ..

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to compliment the garage engineering, and the workmanship looks great! A gas motor added, and you might have something. The term nut-buster comes to mind.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice piece of engineering! :occasion14:

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like someone has way to much time on there hands! It is cool though. Would draw a lot of attention.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm trying to figure out the leverage. It looks like the "shovel" hand has to support the vertical shaft while the scoop hand has to lever the chunk of soil up.

So instead of using your strongest back and leg muscles and the rim of the hole to lever out the plug you have to use arms to support, scoop and lift.

Not buying it as better in hard soil than a regular shovel. A sandbox, maybe. Or to clear out a deep hole.

Looks like the old Pit Boss posthole scoop.

resize.php

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do my best work sitting down .
shopping