Looking at getting into metal detecting

Twitchson

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
My Dad (Twitch) is a long time user here, but on the Native American Artifacts and Coin Roll Hunting forums. I am 13 year old and want to start trying to metal detect for coins or other goodies. We live in the St Louis Mo area. I know very little about metal detecting, my dad has never used one, not even once. I have a ~$20 detector and have found ever nail in our backyard already. I'd like to get more serious about it.

A couple of questions:
1) I found a "Avid Power Metal Detector for Adults Kids, Waterproof Metal Detectors with LCD Display, Pinpoint Function, Discrimination Mode, Distinctive Audio Tone and Carrying Bag" on Amazon for $69.99, and 1 day delivery. Any thoughts on this unit? The Amazon feedback seems reasonable. Is there a different, similarly priced model we should be shooting after?

2) I'm finding tons of conflicting feedback on how to find a spot to hunt. Parks or any public spaces seem to generally not be OK. We're not from here so I don't know a lot of people. I found 2 detecting clubs online, 1 said it was full and not accepting new members and the 2nd one hasn't yet responded to me email. I know this is super remedial and we're still doing research but do you guys have any tips for getting started? I did find a state park near by that allows metal detecting in the beach area so if we can't find a better spot, that's where we'll start.

3) I assume this hobby involves a lot of door knocking, similar to our primary hobby of arrowhead hunting. Do you guys cold-knock residential homes, school, churches, or are you calling ahead to check?

Again, I apologize for the basic questions. Just trying to get a head start on the hobby.

Thanks,
Jack

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome Jack! This is an awesome place to get started. Good questions. the only thing I can suggest is save enough money to purchase the Nokta Simplex to start off with You'll be able to grow into it and it will do you right. Best of luck!

OP
OP
T

Twitchson

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated. We do a lot of 'treasure' hunting already, arrowheads, coin rolls, fossils, different stuff but haven't gotten into metal detecting. Thanks.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Jack
Maybe one of our members has a nice used unit
Being winter you don’t need to rush it
Don’t know where you are, but there may be a member near you who could take you out a couple times and learn you some

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start asking around to acquaintances to see if they have one just laying around not used. Do some yard sells to see if they may have some. With all your contacts in other treasure hunts you may run across someone that has one to loan you until you have saved money for one you want. Welcome and Happy Hunting

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Jack (Twitch Jr.), welcome to the metal detecting forum. My thoughts on your questions:
1. a new detector in that price range may not be all that different from the detector that you're using to find nails. Have you tried using that $20 detector to find coins by burying them in your backyard? A lot of people create 'test gardens' of metal objects of various sizes and at various depths. Finding those items will give you confidence in what you could find in a park.
My son and I started with a $120 Whites metal detector (Prism V) about 10 years ago and it would find coins. We've upgraded to newer, more powerful detectors as we realized we enjoy the hobby.

2. Where I live (New Jersey) I'm allowed to hunt local parks, county parks and some state parks, but never national park/historic parks. That beach would be an OK place to practice. YOu'll find mostly junk, but removing it from the beach is helping the neighborhood and planet.
Your best bet may be to write to some local government officials. In NJ there are many towns each with their own administration (we have dozens of "boroughs" and "Townships" in each county, and each has its own mayor, town administrator, etc.) I've written to them and my local administrator has granted my son and me permission to hunt some awesome historical town-owned properties. When I write I am very honest: I tell them about our hobby, that we are responsible and clean up after ourselves, and I offer the town anything we find (because it could be historically meaningful). They never want any of it, but I offer. I've even sent pictures of the cooler finds. The administrator doesn't care, frankly, but the mayor apparently thinks it's cool.
I've also asked at historic farms in the area. You may want to do some research looking for historical maps of your area and see if there are any old farms, schools etc. Figure out who now owns the property, and yes - (#3) knock on their door, or leave them a note and tell them you'll be back to talk with them about whether they're open to allowing you to hunt.
My family and I are part of a farm "co-op" (meaning we sign up to get produce all summer from them), and I started talking with the farm owner. I learned that the farm was in his family for the last 150 years, and asked if we could detect - again offering him anything we find, for his sentimental reasons. We've found cool old flat buttons - and he and his daughter did take them. His daughter (8 years old) apparently treasures them. That's way more valuable to me than the buttons would be.

Good luck, and enjoy the hobby! Post some pictures of what you find!

- Brian

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!

Welcome 35.jpg

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard T-Net from Northern Virginia :skullflag: Brainc053 gave you some good gouge about putting in test garden. If you and your dad are out and about arrowhead hunting bring the machine along and see if the landowner will allow you to use it as well. This forum has a wealth of information, spend sometime looking through the forums, I PM a lot of the members when I have questions and have found everyone very helpful.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
welcome from Atlanta.

be cautious about buying a metal detector that has not gotten favorable comments from a forum member. Lot of junk detectors from China with lots of advertised features that barely work and often don't work for long. Only buy a metal detector from a recognized quality dealer like Garrett, Minelab, Whites, Nokta Makro, XP Deus, bounty hunter, etc.

For instance I think you can get a Minelab Vanquish 340 (Multi-Frequency) for $199 at Dicks Sporting good. Detectors from the above list will work as advertised and have long warranties. $70 vs $199. Save some more money and don't be disappointed.

Good luck

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey twitch son i’m also 13 and i live in iowa city area. I suggest the simplex. Ps if you get into detecting we should hunt together!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can say one thing “son”...your command of the English language, grammar and punctuation is above and beyond. Props to you for not appearing to be a 13 year old! The Simplex would be a GREAT choice based on what I know, even though I don’t have one. It’s enough machine to keep you busy on a lot of fronts and to teach you a lot about the hobby itself. Buying a machine based solely on the “cheap price” is NOT a good idea below 200.00 IMHO....many of those machines won’t do even the beginner any justice. Start with a solid machine and build solid skills that will serve you well down the road.
Welcome aboard, it’s great to see more young people with an interest in treasure hunting, because that’s exactly what all of this is!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can say one thing “son”...your command of the English language, grammar and punctuation is above and beyond. Props to you for not appearing to be a 13 year old! The Simplex would be a GREAT choice based on what I know, even though I don’t have one. It’s enough machine to keep you busy on a lot of fronts and to teach you a lot about the hobby itself. Buying a machine based solely on the “cheap price” is NOT a good idea below 200.00 IMHO....many of those machines won’t do even the beginner any justice. Start with a solid machine and build solid skills that will serve you well down the road.
Welcome aboard, it’s great to see more young people with an interest in treasure hunting, because that’s exactly what all of this is!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread