Considering a new pinpointer what do you recommned?

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

FWest

Jun 27, 2017
Detector(s) used
EQ 600, ORX, TDI SL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 3, the old black garret, mi6 from xp and a tekpoint. Rechargeable in the xp is nice. They also have a mi4 that is stand alone. The mi6 connects to the remote of the orx and deus. The tekpoint is a pulse unit, uses aa batteries and causes a bit more interference with most detectors but works great. Both waterproof for all but diving.

So my vote is for either mi4/mi6 or tek.

plains digger

Apr 21, 2009
Westwood Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Whites DFX
Eager to hear what people say.I'm also looking for a new pinpointer. I use a detector pro pistol probe. I works good adn can detector coins from a couple inches but it is a bit big and cumbersome.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Garrett Carrot water proof lots of cool settings from beep to vibrate also has a pin point function like when you find a target and it beeps in the hole you can press and hold the button and gives a very accurate pin point I have lost it like a half dozen times and if you set it while hunting it gives off a beep periodically in case you left it at your last target plus its orange and you can spot it fairly easy.

OP
OP
jamest64

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for your help, Ill check them out. today.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the TRX. while the garrett is a fine pointer, I prefer the tip sensitivity on the TRX …….:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
jamest64

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well FWest, I checked them out (crummy day here in Michigan). It looks like the tek has the best range. Mi4 looks the most waterproof but I'm not sure that the difference will matter. Do you find messing with the settings of the Mi4 an issue? The video I watched was good but might be tough changing setting in the field? If you have a minute, what is your experience with that? Thanks in advance. Also, I see you have the EQ600. Considering buying one this week and getting rid of my Garrett 400. If you had to do it over, would you buy the 800?
jamest64.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Can't go wrong with the Garrett carrot. I prefer the MI6 especially if you have Deus to sync with and adjust power.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
From personal experience DO NOT BUY a Fisher F-pulse; I've had 3 of them fail, replaced 2x by Fisher and got so mad at the last F-pulse they sent me because of failure that I sold it for $25 just to get rid of it and I had bought it for $119 just 8 months ago. [Begged Fisher for a refund, but no go] Also, I would NOT RECOMMEND the Minelab Pro-find 15 or 35 (mine). After 7 months use, the Pro Find 35 button broke through the soft casing and allows water and debris to enter inside the unit - it is still working but failure is imminent. Also, the Pro Find has a speaker just opposite the on/off button and you end up pressing the speaker all the time thinking it is the on/off button - very poor design.

7 Month Old Profind 35.jpg

I'm currently looking for a new waterproof pointer and the Garrett carrot looks the best to me right now. I know I can get a knock-off pointer on e-bay for something like $35, but they'll ALL Chinese knock-off junk and I'm willing to pay for the real thing and support AMERICAN companies and businesses rather than chinese rip-off companies. SUPPORT AMERICA!!!

OP
OP
jamest64

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lawerence, check out the Tek pp. (grey/blue in color) Watched video today, they are all around 130 bucks for waterproof and I might go that route.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Garrett carrot is an excellent choice as I have used mine many times in the water. No issues at all and it works really well.

Another pinpointer to check out would be the Land or Sea by Gold Digger Innovative Products. I use that one from time to time and works great as well. About the only complaint would be the volume is not very loud.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im looking for a pin pointer that only detects gold. Any recommendations? :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Garrett Carrot. My favorite and easy to adjust although I like and own the MI-6 to use with the XP Deus and ORX.
Good luck!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Garrett Carrot:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread