Lightest Weight Brand/models of Detectors?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there are, zminelab Equinox is 2.8 pounds, but zip suggest you consider a chest harness that connects to detector shaft with an adjustible bungie cord, but takes weight off your arm and centers it on your chest.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
XP Deus is the lightest that I know of.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just about every company selling metal detectors has a lightweight model or models that may be what you are looking for. Check their websites for comparisons.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, you should not be "holding up" the detector. You should adjust it so that your arm hangs naturally. This is an error a lot of people make, and complain about how much it hurts to swing XXX detector. Very few detectors are so badly balanced that it should cause pain. You got some good options above for lightweight detectors that have excellent performance.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
BTW, you should not be "holding up" the detector. You should adjust it so that your arm hangs naturally. This is an error a lot of people make, and complain about how much it hurts to swing XXX detector. Very few detectors are so badly balanced that it should cause pain. You got some good options above for lightweight detectors that have excellent performance.

Excellent analogy.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if the XP ORX is the lightest, but it has to be very close and has better balance. Many people with arm/shoulder injuries have dropped their awkward, out-of-balance machines in favor of the XP machines and have been very pleased. The very lightest configuration would be the ORX with the elliptical coil and carry the remote control in your pocket or on a wrist band. Full weight 1 lb. 14 oz. and very well balanced. Carry the remote and you can cut that down another 3 1/2 oz. The Deus is a few ounces heavier. It's a joy to swing. A lot of good reports on the ORX. Finds tiny gold (so does the Deus).

Last edited:

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have neck/shoulder disc damage. Holding things up for long periods of time can be a struggle. Are there particularly lighter weight detector models/brands?

Tesoro machines are known to be the lightest, and among the lightest, in the industry.

Borrow or rent one and try it out.

And true, you shouldn't be holding the machine up, or pushing or pulling it.

When you have things right, it feels like the machine is floating.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP Deus at under 2 pounds. My neck, shoulders, hips and knees are gone now, and it's the only thing I can swing. Tesoro is out of business, but I loved their machines.

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
XP Deus in my opinion. I have owned Bounty Hunters, Garrett AT and a XP. The Deus has been a pleasure to swing and I will buy another when this one poops out.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I switched to the Fisher F-75 LTD because the Minelab GT was doing a job on my shoulder. I can swing the F-75 all day with joy. It is a fantastic detector too! I have had it about 10 years now.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All good, but only have swung my Tesoro Cibola for thirteen years, and it is really
light-weight, compared to others that I've tried...! The bungee cord taking some of the
weight, is a good idea tho.....

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
With both my rotators being repaired and heavy arthritis the XP Deus is my go to detector. I have no issues using the HF Coils on my Deus and ORX. Best of luck to you!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lightest ever i think is the Mighty Mite - any one remember those?

UncleTom

Jun 3, 2006
SEABROOK TEXAS
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I and II, CTX-3030, Equinox 600, X-terra 70,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Green 8-)

Attachments

• P1010641.JPG
    P1010641.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 41