Considering trading or selling my Deus for something different. Any opinions?

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all. Hope the digging have been good for you. Anyways, the title says it all. I bought an XP Deus with WS4 headphones, pinpointer, remote, HF coil and 11"
LF coil. Ever since I purchased it I've wished I would've went with something different. It should be approaching 2 years old. I kind of wish I would've bought the Nox 800, or maybe a racer...or something just different than the Deus.

I know a lot of people will get upset with this, but I just dont think it was worth the money and really doesn't fit "me" for what I like in a detector. I just don't understand all the hype.

At the same time, a lot of people will probably say the same thing about any detector. But my curiousity is still there. So now I'm faced with the decision of not only getting a different detector, but also getting a fair trade. Just because I wasnt happy with the price/end product doesn't mean that others would feel that way, and it was a really expensive machine.

My questions to you guys are: what is a trade you would recommend? Is it a fair trade? And am I just crazy and Deus is really THAT amazing?

Thanks in advance for your replies and feel free to voice other opinions than just answers to those questions...if you'd like.

Happy hunting y'all

Upvote 0

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't offer any advice on which machine is best for you because... well, I'm not you. I do think we (people) tend to worry far too much about what others will think if we dislike/like a certain machine. I have nothing against the Deus (never used one) but if it isn't the right machine for you - it isn't the right machine for you. Nothing wrong with that at all.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, if you don't like it, nothing wrong with that. What DON'T you like about it? I like my Deus over everything I've ever used, and I've used a lot of different machines. I find it lightweight, well balanced, deep, and it has a great discriminator.

Now what else to get? I'd wait a few months and see what all the manufacturers come up with this spring. Lots of talk from lots of companies about new machines coming out.

You already have a Minelab and some White's listed in your stable. Don't know what you're looking for. You'll lose 30-50% on the Deus if you sell it, more than likely. And what do you think you'd like to GET?

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep the Deus add an equinox. That deus is fast and supposed to be better in iron than the Nox. Nox is supposed to be deeper and multipurpose.

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I've got an Equinox and couldn't be happier.
I DO notice, however, that people with the Deus in our weekly club hunts consistently come up with more coins and finds.
Not sure if that is due to operator experience or the machine itself.
For me the Nox is a great fit. Light weight, way better than my old detector, and goes plenty deep.

My 2-cents, anyway.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Your detector is merely a tool. That tool's effectiveness depends on the user and the environment. I had a Deus and eventually sold it. Why? 99.9% of my detecting is on salt water beaches. The EQX, CTX and Excalibur were far better for me than the Deus. The Deus is a good tool as many attest but the Minelabs "fit me" better for my type of hunting.

The advice you've been given above is solid but only you can make the final decision. If you decide that another machine is more adept for the type of hunting you do, go for it. If the Deus will not be used for whatever reason, then that's another decision for you to make. I've noticed one thing since the EQX came out however, the resale of detectors like the Deus has gotten more difficult and the price it brings has gone down as a result.

Just the view from my foxhole...

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the Deus and the Equinox for my particular hunting (beach) and I find more good targets with the Deus as a result of knowing how to use it in that environment.
I haven’t used the Equinox as much but it isn’t as clear on target I.D. As the Deus is for me but there again I have more time on the Deus.
In the damp sand and the wet the 800 is a great performer but so is my Deus on the damp sand with the HF Coils.
So, as above, it really depends on the operators experience and what environment one chooses to use it in.
If you feel you need a change then go for it because if your comfortable learning how to use it then you will up your good targets as long as the good targets are under the coil.
Best of luck!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add one thing, I've gone head to head with an Equinox 800 on a few occasions and done better, now the Deus did not blow the 800 out of the water, but just got an extra coil, button or such.

If you have a dealer near you I would highly recommend you test drive a machine if you can. I'd kind of like to try one of the Nokta machines, but will be getting another machine soon and don't need anything else at this time.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can you give us some specifics why you are disappointed with the Deus? What type of hunting do you mainly engage in?

When I got my Equinox 800 in March 2018, I was disappointed with it. So chatty. a rather long learning curve for someone coming from the AT Pro. I used the AT pro for 3 years and it was/is a great machine. But a lot fewer options compared to the 800 or XP Deus.

My solution was to really buckle down and get back to learning more about metal detecting theory and more about the 800. I did this by reading forums, asking questions about the 800 and lots of new hunting to learn the tones.

Now I am very satisfied with my 800 and my ability to tweak it for my different hunting environments.

Just maybe you need to give the XP Deus some more time. People like Calabash digger swear by the deus for relic hunting.

Of course you have to like your detector for what ever reason to be happy. I bought a Nakto Marko simplex for a backup detector and I don't like it. Why? Not because it is not a good detector, just don't like the tones compared to the 800. So I hope my wife will not know the difference and find a lot of gold at the beach when we go in Feb.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
grass is always greener on the other side of the fence ? then when u get over there ? ur like dang if it isnt the same color ? DOH!

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you weren't really specific about what you do or do not like about it. I'll will tell you I have the XP ORX and it is simply a fantastic machine the only feature I wish it has was the XY graph you have on your remote. I have used the Equinox and many other machines and the DEUS is that good! #1 in my book but I do a very specific type of hunting (relic & coin-shooting) in moderate mid-west soil others situations the Equinox would be the better choice.

I also know that feeling you have and so I would recommend you sell it and get something that feels right!

As far as a fair trade I'm not sure but I would work with one of our supporting Vendors like Fort Bedford to find the machine you like. The NoX, Impact, Anfibio, CTX, etc..

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have the remote with your Deus? If so, I'd probably trade you a barely used Nox 800.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would trade your deus for an 800 equinox plus a couple hundred bucks in like new condition , unless there is a six inch coil in the trade and a pointer . I have both . Used the deus for a couple of years and bought the equinox right when it came out . I went over all my permissions and found alot the deus missed or gave the ole iron buzz . Bottle caps are the worst for me with the deus and I never did shake it . The slow back off and approach was to much and frustrating for me . I have dug soooo many bottle caps I just gave up . I still have the dues for a back up but I only used it once last year and it quickly reminded me why I leave it at home . The constant chatter gives me a headache . I find much more with the equinox . I find it way more user friendly tones and I do not have to change coils/ frequencies all the time . Down side it is more weight .Small coil likes nails . You just can not beat the deus for swinging or nails but the bottle cap thing drives me nuts . I like coins and the equinox is a silver dime bug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions