Buying another detector - Should I buy the Nokta Makro Simplex or...

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buying another detector - Should I buy the Nokta Makro Simplex or...

Should I buy a backup Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro? Both are in the $250.00 range and if the LRP were waterproof, there would be no question which one I would buy.

I am very fond of my LRP, well let's say I enjoy the heck outta using it, and would like to have a backup. I've only had the LRP for 3 months so I really could wait awhile on purchasing a back up for it.

My main concern with the Simplex is that the batteries are built-in rechargeable ones and we all know that they do not last forever. I have not been able to find any documentation on whether they are user replaceable but, I have been told they are not. I haven't talked to anyone that has one so I am not sure about this.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Upvote 0

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hello2:

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the batteries go bad what are you supposed to do, there has to be an explantion. I was looking into getting a Simplex also..for the money its a no brainer.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Simplex. By the time the batteries give it up, you'll be ready for a new machine.

Inspector Comet

Jan 3, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a Simplex as a relatively new detectorist; I had purchased a Fisher F22 a few months prior to that. I think the Simplex is a fantastic machine, and in general I think it's helpful to have two different detectors since each will have their own strengths and weaknesses. Yeah you have to get used to a new machine, but once you do, you have two options to choose from.

As far as the batteries go, they have lasted me something like 8-10 hours while detecting after dark (with permission) so that the backlight is on the entire time, which will of course drain batteries faster. So even if batteries age a bit and don't hold a full charge, I have no doubt they would be able to run the detector longer than my arm would be able to hold it during a single session. Also, if the batteries were to need replacing, I'm sure it's something that could be done by a careful electrically-inclined person.

All that to say, go for the Simplex! Hope this was helpful.

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Simplex. By the time the batteries give it up, you'll be ready for a new machine.

I have 6 Metal Detectors at this time and I passed on buying a few because of proprietary issues - hence, no Garrett MD's in my collection.

If I have a machine go down and I am not able to fix it, then I will buy a new one. However, if a new one comes out that adds a feature that I think would be helpful to my hobby, I will consider purchasing one. This doesn't usually happen as I am an Electronic Tech (Retired) and have no problem fixing most of my equipment, albeit the technology is about to pass this old man up.

Cheers

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Simplex as a relatively new detectorist; I had purchased a Fisher F22 a few months prior to that. I think the Simplex is a fantastic machine, and in general I think it's helpful to have two different detectors since each will have their own strengths and weaknesses. Yeah you have to get used to a new machine, but once you do, you have two options to choose from.

As far as the batteries go, they have lasted me something like 8-10 hours while detecting after dark (with permission) so that the backlight is on the entire time, which will of course drain batteries faster. So even if batteries age a bit and don't hold a full charge, I have no doubt they would be able to run the detector longer than my arm would be able to hold it during a single session. Also, if the batteries were to need replacing, I'm sure it's something that could be done by a careful electrically-inclined person.

All that to say, go for the Simplex! Hope this was helpful.

Thanks for the info!

Oh, and does the Simplex appear to have a battery compartment?

Last edited:

Inspector Comet

Jan 3, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
does the Simplex appear to have a battery compartment?

Not that I can tell... The part with the "guts" appears to come apart in two pieces; there's a seam between the top and bottom so those look like they're molded separately. No screws that I can see either. That said, there are service centers around, which means there is probably a way to get it apart along with (if you're lucky) a technical service manual. As the unit gets older you might be able to get a hand on some instructions, or the knowledge of someone who has repaired one in the past.

I've looked for replacement lithium ion batteries before and some commonly available li-ion cells can be bought online... I realized that the Simplex+ uses a lithium polymer battery which would be a little harder to find online, but I looked quickly and there are several different sizes you can buy retail. The cheapest way for Nokta Makro to manufacture the Simplex would be to use a commonly available battery pack, which means odds are you could buy a replacement online.

I think you would most likely be able to wire in a replacement battery yourself. Once you got the unit apart the specs of the battery would be printed on it, so it would be pretty easy to find a replacement. And as a last resort, there are also people who would have professional knowledge of detector service and would be able to replace the battery for you. Also, keep in mind that using this type of battery is a design choice: Nokta Makro gets to use a higher voltage and/or more powerful electronics when this type of battery is incorporated. There are benefits associated with using the built-in battery, although as you point out, the trade-off is that you might have some replacement costs down the road. For me though, benefits outweigh the risks.

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inspector Comet: "For me though, benefits outweigh the risks." - Would this be like taking prescription medicines... "The good outweighs the bad"? :smile:

Thanks for the info. I'm sure that with my technical knowledge I could fathom a replacement platform for the battery if needed. I think I have enough electronic contacts left that I would be able to receive assistance if necessary.

I was merely making a comment from a practical point of view and do not think that the battery, or batteries, would go bad during the 2 year warranty period. It's always good to get another perspective on a topic of interest from other like minded individuals.

Thanks again!

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin,

My opinion is that if your trying to say under $600 dollar budget the Simplex is the way to go. The battery really should be fine for 5 years (3 at a bare minimum) and possibly longer. Also Nokta support has been excellent from all accounts I have heard. (They are one of the few manufacturers that actively listen to the community and participate in the forums)

Also I'm willing to go out on a limb and bet you a silver quarter that the Simplex will probably run circles around your Land Ranger Pro. (If the simplex has the same brains as the racers I feel pretty good about this)

I've seen some head to head comparisons of the Simplex against my Deus and it is very impressive for the price tag! HH eman

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin,

My opinion is that if your trying to say under $600 dollar budget the Simplex is the way to go. The battery really should be fine for 5 years (3 at a bare minimum) and possibly longer. Also Nokta support has been excellent from all accounts I have heard. (They are one of the few manufacturers that actively listen to the community are participate in the forums)

Also I'm willing to go out on a limb and bet you a silver quarter that the Simplex will probably run circles around your Land Ranger Pro. (If the simplex has the same brains as the racers I feel pretty good about this)

I've seen some head to head comparisons of the Simplex against my Deus and it is very impressive for the price tag! HH eman

I'm going to order the Simplex (actually the Simplex+ without the headphones) Friday (tomorrow). As long as it's in stock I should have it no later than next Thursday. I will still buy a LRP for a backup but, I'm not in a rush to do that now.

As for running circles around my LRP, I think that is going to be a tough contest. You know I will be putting them both on the starting line for the race of the century. :grin:

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All great comments....the Simplex would be my backup to my Minelab 4500 p.i.Once in a while you want to take a break form nuggethunting and go back to the beginings..relics and coins. Truth is, all my detectors and coils have payed for themselves many times over.....so if the battery goes bad after the warranty expires so be it. Buy another one...

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the info.

As I mentioned above, I will be ordering the Simplex tomorrow. It should be in by Thursday next week.

Cheers!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck with the new Simplex+. I think it’s a great unit that can easily be replaced should the occasion arise.

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with the new Simplex+. I think it’s a great unit that can easily be replaced should the occasion arise.

Bit the bullet and went out in the rain and freezing temperature to get a quick test in on the Simplex. In 10 minutes (I couldn't take much more than that) I found three Zinc Pennies and a Zipper Pull. The thing about that small hunt was I had been over that same area with three other detectors without digging. I'm going to give these quick finds to the fact that the Simplex has an 11 inch DD coil - the other three were 8, 9, and an oval 11 inch (LRP).

No I have more testing to do with the other detectors so that I can freshen my memory. That's the problem when not using your equipment often enough. CRS jumps in and takes over. :smirk:

Time to get warm.

Cheers.
-DH-

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed now over a long period of time, that every time you get a new machine and go over the same area, you pull out more stuff. Sometimes all you have to do is wait a few months, then go back with the SAME machine over the SAME area and you can still pull out more stuff. It's not so much the machine, but the ground conditions and your skills, which have increased in the meantime.

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I've purchased the Simplex+, how do I close this thread? I've searched...

the world over and haven't found uh, OK I won't say it, any help that I can make sense of.

Cheers.
-DH-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread