Upvote 0

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Classic ID, Mikronta 4003
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had thought that high pitch tones identifies a high 'number' target ID. As I get used to the Simplex, ... I am seeing low numbers with high pitch and high numbers with high pitch, ... I'm confused.
Good lord that would definitely throw me off

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can be ground mineralization. Did you ground balance? In certain soils you will have to manually ground balance. You may have to turn down sensitivity as well as change frequency. Do you have a cellphone on?
The Simplex is pretty sensitive and will pick up anything the coil is swung over. The coil since it is the 11" maybe seeing too many targets close together which is fooling the processor. Depending upon the mode your using, the Simplex likes a faster sweep speed. What mode are you using? Try Beach mode. A smaller 7" coil is in the works which would also improve the Simplex in trashy areas.
Also, does your Simplex have the updated search coil pictured?

Attachments

• update.jpeg
    update.jpeg
    5.5 KB · Views: 194

Zhar

Greenie
Jan 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The issue is that id's displayed are not reliable so you have to use the sound (not the id display on your screen).
Just my mind after trying some different brands of metal detector.

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had thought that high pitch tones identifies a high 'number' target ID. As I get used to the Simplex, ... I am seeing low numbers with high pitch and high numbers with high pitch, ... I'm confused.

Hello...

I am not an expert with the Simplex+ and I have only been able to use mine for 30 minutes. However, I had the same problem that you mentioned at first. I went back through some of the Threads here on Tnet and watched a bunch of YouTube videos and this is how I set mine up:

Park Mode (Trashy Areas): Sensitivity Level - 4; Iron Sound Level - 1; Ground Balance - Check and set it about every thirty or so minutes.

I still get some High Tones but they are broken and real jumpy. Therefore, I know they are trash such as Foil, Tin, and Aluminum - the TIDs range from 65 up to 94 and are not consistent or constant.

My Simplex reads Zinc / Copper Pennies at 65 - 77 and Foil at 17 - 18 every time I get a solid signal.

What I have found unusual is that Pennies will hit at 65 up to 77 no matter if it's Zinc or Copper.

Field Mode: I run the same settings as Park Mode and I never Discriminate in any mode.

I've been metal detecting for a long time and have become used to the tones so that is what I go by. However, when I hear tones like you are getting, I look at the TID numbers for see if they are jumping excessively.

Like SvenS said, the Simplex+ will sound off for whatever you swing it over and Ground Balancing and Mineralization will cause the issues you are having as well as overhead electrical wires and Cell Towers.

Target separation, on the other hand, with the 11 inch coil is better than other 11 inch coils on two of my other machines. You have to swing fast and listen carefully to catch the difference in the tones you are hearing.

All Metal Mode is tough on the Simplex+ because the TIDs are not like other detectors (in any mode) but, I will be going to this mode when I get used to the tones and IDs.

I haven't tried Beach Mode as of yet and won't be using it until it gets back into the upper 50s.

Speaking of cooler / cold weather, all metal detectors will "act" up and some won't work at all. Most manufacturers will give you the temperature range for the detector.

As I said above, I've only been able to use mine for 30 minutes since I received it but, I am going off other detectors that I have used over the years.

Hope this helps you some and doesn't confuse you any more than you are and I was (there is plenty of time for me to become more confused using my Simplex+). :)

Cheers.
-DH-

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread