Twelve hours with this hobby and found my oldest coin today.

BABALONGOGGLES

Jan 10, 2020
Eastern WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a 1943 Canadian penny found in Eastern Washington, not worth much, but now I have a date to try and beat. I only found pennies today, so I'm wondering if I had the settings off. I feel like I'm not getting deep enough with my BH Tracker IV. Supposedly, a former Nazi once lived in this home and I'm told by the current owner that they tried to build a fence and hit bedrock about 8-10 inches underground. If that's true, I need a better machine to reach that depth. I can't wait to get my tax return and upgrade so I can find the deeper coins. HH from WA.

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from a former Spokane resident. Don't judge your machine's ability on twelve hours, in one yard. Make sure you're swinging that coil correctly. Nice and flat to the ground, almost making contact. Fairly slow swing speed. Good luck, and have fun!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BABALONGOGGLES : Nice find by anyone's standards . If your close to Goldendale you should look up a poor old Tom on here . He is a experienced Detectorists. Let me ALSO WELCOME you to a VERY FINE and HELPFUL forum .

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet BABALONGOGGLES.

Kray gelder is right. keep that coil on the ground if possible and be sure to have a coil cover. Pay no attention to those "experts" you see on TV who swing six inches over the ground.
Not all treasure is 8-10 inches deep.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hello2:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats your going to be surprised at all the cool coins and relics your gonna find keep em coming and great start Tommy

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, you've got a start. As others have said swing close and slow but don't over do the slow, and also overlap your swings by at least 1/3 coil length/diameter. I also might add turn your sensitivity up to where it gets a little crackly, than back off just to where it sounds smooth on the threshold. Welcome to T net.

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here and especially in yards most of what you are going to find is within four, maybe six inches. Don't be thinking you are missing everything because of depth. I have all the best machines and, yes, they are much better at finding the goodies but most are still shallow. Guess what I'm saying is that odds are you aren't missing much because of depth, more that you just need experience with the machine you have.
Of course it is much more fun with better equipment and I always recommend upgrading when you can so you can enjoy the hobby that much more.

LByles

Dec 23, 2019
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! I started with a BH Discovery 1000....I was pretty sad when the speakers went out and I was going to be forced to use headphones. Hubby got me a Simplex now, but I found some good stuff with the BH. A WWI military button was about 6-7 inches deep. Don’t underestimate that bad boy!

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Your detector will go about as deep as the size of your coil for coin sized objects. I bought a BH 3300 last year and it had a 7" coil and went about 7" deep. Deeper for larger objects. Yours may have an 8" coil, so if the soil is only 8"deep or so you probably won't gain much by moving to a different detector w a larger coil. Enjoy what you have now and learn the intricacies of the BH TK 4. Those Bounty Hunters really pack a lot of punch for their modest costs.

BTW Gave the 3300 to a sister and her and her husband got hooked on MDing and they bought a second detector for him (AT Pro) for dirt detecting.
Happy Hunting

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the find, especially being so new to the hobby! The more you use your detector the better you will understand it and make better and older finds. Thanks for sharing! Welcome to the forum from northeastern Oregon. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread