Two Way Radios
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By TheDirtKing
  • 4 Post By alan m
  • 2 Post By Bum Luck
  • 1 Post By sjvalleyhunter
  • 1 Post By Simon1
  • 2 Post By Bum Luck

Thread: Two Way Radios

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2017
    Colorado
    Nokta Makro Simplex + Teknetics T2 Teknetics Patriot Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
    397 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Two Way Radios

Looking for recommendations for walkie talkies in the field. Something to reach my digging partners no more than a mile away, sometimes wooded conditions, sometimes open field. Not needing super professional, special license, talk to the space station type radios, just durable, clear sound, and if they were rechargeable or had a optional battery power option, that would probably work great. Weather resistant a plus. Any ideas?
    alan m, rook3434 and Toecutter like this.

us
    Jul 2011
    Gold canyon AZ
    2067 times
    Cache Hunting
    I have used these with no issues, and they did not cost a lot, around $50.00
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4C397938-467D-4EAE-8229-5240FA5BAC07.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	286.7 KB 
ID:	1800237  
    time for another drink

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Pro Find 35, Carrot, LeTrap, Moby (KIA), Darby, The Sooperoo
    637 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    I use the Motorola i355 ( an old Nextel cell phone). Not exactly cheap, but they are good. Also, digital, multi channel, rechargable, and secure

https://www.survivalmonkey.com/threa...uration.56310/
    It ain't treasure, If ya can't touch it.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    1270 times
    I'd stay away from “blisterpack” radios.

Don't skimp on quality, but get units that block other calls with privacy codes if you want to stay sane. Radios without became unusable due to the constant chatter of truckers who migrated from the insanity of the CB band to higher freqs with large illegal amps. Not only that, neighborhood Beavis and Buttheads tend to like hearing their own chatter. That makes working with them in city environments impossible.

An alert code that buzzes too if you are using headphones.

Be prepared to discount claimed ranges heavily. VHF penetrates brush and "goes around" hills much better than UHF, 462 and 467 MHz. But, if you don't want to deal with licensing, FRS is the only way to go.

Some have exterior speaker/mics (or the capability) that are very handy for some users.

SO:
    The Motorola MS350R seems to garner good reviews from a variety of serious users. I won't link to it, but it's easily found at around $120 for 2.

-121 privacy codes attached to each of the 22 channels

-VibraCall silent vibrating ringer (for headphone use when detecting!)

-NiMH rechargeable battery pack (make sure your seller includes that)

-IP-54 rating, weatherproof (won't handle submersion though)

-all these radios say 35 mile range, but that's ridiculous. fu-get it.
    Simon1 and Mackaydon like this.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2018
    Michigan
    6361 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I bought these 30$ easy to use and find and seem to work great..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124025701927
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

us
    May 2014
    Central California
    Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
    2086 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bum Luck View Post
    The Motorola MS350R seems to garner good reviews from a variety of serious users. I won't link to it, but it's easily found at around $120 for 2.
    If you can link it, Id appreciate it. Ive been looking for a good pair of radios as well but Amazon has this particular model for $499 and other sites show it to be discontinued. If its still available for $120 Id consider buying them.
    Simon1 likes this.

Charter Member

Jun 2015
    56932 times
    Underwater B.B. stacking
    As Bum Luck said. I used a pair of those Motorola's for my work and liked them especially with the headset with mic.. And it got nowhere near the 35 mile mark and unless you go to something that has a repeater or ham radio operation, you are not going to get the 35 mile range. On good days I could pick up my office which is about 3/4 to a mile away. Radios are small, and recharge pretty fast. They seemed to have a greater range when installing fresh alkaline batteries. Good luck
    Last edited by Simon1; Feb 12, 2020 at 04:02 AM.
    Bum Luck likes this.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    1270 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sjvalleyhunter View Post
    If you can link it, I’d appreciate it. I’ve been looking for a good pair of radios as well but Amazon has this particular model for $499 and other sites show it to be discontinued. If it’s still available for $120 I’d consider buying them.
    I did find them on Amazon for that, but are now discontinued. So they may be available, but at weird prices. I found them at Walmart for $64, but gone. Someone may have them, but they're replaced by other models.
    sjvalleyhunter and Simon1 like this.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Sponsored Links