Need metal detecting advice :)

JuddS

Feb 11, 2020
bend oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys hows it going my name is Judd and i am from bend Oregon I've been gold panning and treasure/crystal hunting most of my life. I just bought a metal detector i have tried it out at parks trails and the river and have found a few little things here and there. :) If anyone has any tips on locations in my area or any advice for a first time metal detector i would be great full to take in some of the knowledge. Thanks Happy treasure hunting!

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always fill your holes...
Welcome to Tnet...

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net from Michigan! First of all, always have permission where you detect. I can't speak for the parks near you, but if they haven't posted signs like this...

Detecting Sign.jpg

then go ahead and detect. Signs like this are the result of someone that is not filling in the holes they dug to remove a target. Learn how to dig a plug, remove the target and put everything back so nobody would know you were ever there, and always remove all trash you dig or find on the ground.

Check online to see if your state allows detecting in State Parks. Usually, they limit where you can detect.

If you're after some old Silver coins, get permission from a home owner who's home has been around for a quite a few years before 1965.

Don't be concerned with the amount of trash you find in the ground (pulltabs especially). A large percentage of our population never got the message, "Don't Litter!"

Put some coins and some trash target in the ground on your property, so you can see how your detector responds to each target.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always get permission to hunt an area and fill in your holes.
Leave a site as clean or cleaner then when you got there.
Picking up a few pieces of trash during your hunt is really good PR for the hobby.
One person going into a public area with a big shovel or making a mess, makes us all look bad and can get everyone banded from a good site !

Good Hunting !

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make a test garden in your yard bury some coins pop tops ect learn your machine when you go somewhere dont leave signs that you were ever there pick up all garbage you dig. Have fun research research research. Good luck. Tommy

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Welcome to the hobby. I like sports fields, bleachers, and concession areas, as well as schools, especially if they are old. You will dig new coins, old ones, and jewelry from time to time. Having alot of targets in these areas, including the trash, will help you learn your detector. But always detect like someone is watching, and by that I mean what everybody has already said, fill your holes. They sell shovels to dig with, and hand trowels as well. I use a hand trowel, it draws less attention to me when I hunt these areas. Also if you haven't learned already, learn to dig a flap when you dig for an object, and if you dont have one yet, get a pinpointer, almost a necessity if you want to dig neat holes and leave an area without someone knowing you were there.

Good luck and happy hunting!

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Sunny frigid Wisconsin..
I could add to what the others have said..... well, ...nothing!
Have fun!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunt where people would have gone and reached into their pockets.

Or, hunt where people might have taken off a jacket and draped it over a low fence while doing something (tot lots, ballfields, basketball courts, parks).

Look at old postcards or photographs (your local library or historical society) for old picnic grounds, fair grounds, airshows, carnivals, circus events, etc.

Last edited:

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had good luck hunting parking strips (the strip of dirt between the sidewalk and curb). In many locations they are city property, but you will want to confirm that in your town. Older neighborhoods will have silvers/old coins in those strips. If it looks well manicured, I'll skip over it. As already mentioned, older parks, ballfields, and fairgrounds are great locations as long as it's not off limits. Door knocking for permissions is another option, though that isn't something I like to do. In my area there are lots of old railroad/mining camps that have been productive for coins and relics. That ought to at least get you started with some ideas, good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread