Youtubers... - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Youtubers...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    5999 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I was among the first to do youtube metal detecting video's in early 2008, camera's were crude and video quality was poor. There were just a handful of us doing them, and all were pure and simple. Now after 12 years it seems to be who can outgun who, and get the most SUB's. I would imagine many are setup, and many are the real deal. I think common sense will tell you in time who is who. It's got so crazy I've narrowed down my favorites to just a few. I still do my video's with close to 500 but rarely do I share. I'm not going to give anyone a chance to figure out where I hunt for all it takes is one to recognize a landmark and your best spot will be pouched. On the other hand if your planting targets.......... then I guess you don't have to worry about giving up the location.
    Owassokie and CASPER-2 like this.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
    2020......Gold Rings....21 .......Silvers ...17

us
    Dec 2007
    CT
    Whites MXT, DetectorPro HH Underwater
    1174 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Owassokie View Post

Another HUGE clue on the click bait is the TITTLE. Are they begging you to watch it? If so, it's probably not worth watching.
    There, fixed it for you. (HUGE TITTLE? Is usually click bait)
    Oldest Coin Finds to Date
    1737-1760 KGII Hibernia Half Cent ('10)
    1787 Fugio Large Cent ('15)
    1869 Two Cent ('09)
    1867-1883 Variety I Sheild Nickel ('09)
    1900 Barber Dime ('13)
    1929 Standing Liberty Quarter ('17)
    1944 Walking Liberty Half Dollar ('09)

Jun 2012
    Oklahoma
    Equinox 800, Ace 250
    369 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    There, fixed it for you. (HUGE TITTLE? Is usually click bait)
    True
    OBN likes this.

us
    Apr 2005
    upstate NY -- Lake George region
    XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
    111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgivs View Post
    There are fakes for sure, but then there are real hunters who spend hours editing their recordings so that you only see what you came for (no one wants to watch 45 minutes of pull tabs and 5 minutes of coins). What you find depends on where you look. If you're hunting the same tired sites then chances are you aren't going to come up with big finds like the guys who do hours of research and go door-knocking like its their job. My favorite tuber is aquachigger and I don't think any of his finds are fake.
    I agree. When I talked about editing, I didn't mean to suggest that video makers did it in a dishonest way. As you mentioned, nobody wants to watch 45 minutes of digging pull tabs. But editing to eliminate the junk sure makes the videos seem too good to be true, even though you know what really happens on a dig. I guess there's no way to avoid that other than mentioning on camera how much junk was dug and edited out.

Many of these guys are experts, do extensive research and are rewarded with excellent finds. No one would want to watch videos of me swinging a coil through miles of woods and finding nothing, or digging can slaw and rusty bottle caps.
    i_am_mongoose likes this.

Jun 2012
    Oklahoma
    Equinox 800, Ace 250
    369 times
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    I agree. When I talked about editing, I didn't mean to suggest that video makers did it in a dishonest way. As you mentioned, nobody wants to watch 45 minutes of digging pull tabs. But editing to eliminate the junk sure makes the videos seem too good to be true, even though you know what really happens on a dig. I guess there's no way to avoid that other than mentioning on camera how much junk was dug and edited out.
    And I think what you're talking about above is probably what a lot of people are labeling as "fake" or "staged" when it's really just edited for viewership. You have to think of it from the video posters perspective. Why are they posting. They are probably either creating a video journal, educating, or entertaining. Most of the videos with lots of clicks are made for entertainment. Edited does not equal fake. There are plenty of MDing videos that don't have a ton of editing....you just have to skip over all the others to find them. Problem is, most people don't actually want to watch unedited or lightly edited MDing video because it can be tedious and boring.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2014
    Kentucky
    Unicorn Treasure Master Pro Modes: Dowsing Pulse Induction Multi-Frequency Ground Penetrating Radar Beat Frequency Oscillation Aural Target Identification
    160 times
    Metal Detecting
    If you watch enough videos from different channel owners you see a pattern.

I think of it as a checklist they are working from:

1. Snazzy intro that eats into the video time.

2. Enthusiastic host, usually over the top.
    HEY GUYS! Welcome back to another...and today we are going to...
    If you like the video don't forget to press the like button and be sure to click the bell so you don't miss any exciting new videos.
    And if you haven't subscribed, go ahead and subscribe!!!
    If you like my videos and want to support this channel, I've put a link to my Patreon account in the description. Patreon members can get free stuff and deals on merchandise so check it out! It's all in the description below.
    Cue content
    -------------

Not necessarily fake but the vibe is money.

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2728 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    like i said before i do not watch people on you tube metal detecting. The only thing i watch you tube for is help oh repairs i know nothing about. Other wise than that youtube is a waste to me.
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

us
    Coinshooter

Dec 2019
    Iowa
    Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Dr Ötek Junior, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
    144 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I saw on Youtube the other day a guy who “found” 50 gold coins at the beach. They had seams on the edges lol. But there are some good videos
    Check out my YouTube Channel!-Coinboy Detecting and coins! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFLxG6yeF6ejxaAUp6vpaow
    “Today’s the day!”- Mel Fisher
    2020 totals: SNOW SNOW AND MORE SNOW
    Love to hunt for coins and relics in Iowa!

us
    May 2019
    Flawda
    Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    1969 times
    I have one big "irk" that keeps me from clicking on one. When the title includes "you won't believe what we found" or such as "if it wasn't filmed, you wouldn't believe it" I get a bad taste in my mouth. First, I'm looking at a filmed event if I consider watching it. Why would I not believe it, you're about to show me photographic proof...
    Owassokie likes this.

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Minelab Equinox 800
    1196 times
    I notice that most of these MD videos are compilations of several hunts/permissions all blended into one video. I enjoy watching certain diggers vids, but for the most part it's click bait. I'll usually only watch them when the weather is bad, or if the ground is frozen. C'mon Spring!

us
    Aug 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Garrett ACE 250 & ACE 400
    13 times
    Metal Detecting
    They got to do something to drum up viewers. Most of them wouldn't look good in a bikini...
    Dig more holes

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16014 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    I do slide shows of finds on youtube and show the good finds as well as the bad
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9z25g56LhkEv_fdD_Gglsg

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16014 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by OBN View Post
    I was among the first to do youtube metal detecting video's in early 2008, camera's were crude and video quality was poor. There were just a handful of us doing them, and all were pure and simple. Now after 12 years it seems to be who can outgun who, and get the most SUB's. I would imagine many are setup, and many are the real deal. I think common sense will tell you in time who is who. It's got so crazy I've narrowed down my favorites to just a few. I still do my video's with close to 500 but rarely do I share. I'm not going to give anyone a chance to figure out where I hunt for all it takes is one to recognize a landmark and your best spot will be pouched. On the other hand if your planting targets.......... then I guess you don't have to worry about giving up the location.
    I made that mistake long ago with having my GF take pics of me hunting - I didn't crop out landmarks behind me and then next time I went to hot spots they were loaded with other hunters and places I killed it became sparse of finds
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    28086 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I see them as mindless entertainment. Interesting. Kind of like watching birdies outside the window. I never subscribe to any of them.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    12801 times
    Metal Detecting
    I like it when they just edit out the fluff and show the finds.

In fact, a still image will do fine. Less chance I'm going to see some twerp with his hat on crooked throwing gang signs.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links