Youtubers...

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch a TON of youtube videos. I have a job that either I am busy or I am waiting to be busy. Mostly I am waiting. I am starting to think a good portion of youtube detecting videos are fake. I am not saying all, but the just did a quick hunt for an hour and got 3 silvers, and this gold ring.

So give it to me straight, am I a cynical asshat or am I seeing the light? I

Upvote 0

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a couple thoughts. First, most guys aren't posting all their video content. They're posting the stuff people will find interesting....ie cool finds. It doesn't represent the time they've invested in the hobby and most don't pretend it does. Second, if you are only going for "clicks", I think you'd have a lot more success with different content. Metal detecting isn't exactly one of the most popular American past times. I honestly feel most people are watching with a bit too much of a critical eye. Is there clickbait? Sure, but I think it's limited. Maybe I'm just gullible....who knows. I feel like the vast majority are just regular guys filming their finds and sharing them with like minded people. Sometimes things don't come out of their ground the way it comes out of my ground.

Also, if you are watching the first few videos that pop up on a search, you're watching the click bait. I don't watch this stuff. I typically limit my searches to a certain period of time or I'll have youtube list it in order beginning with most recent. I never watch in the order Youtube lists originally. Another HUGE clue on the click bait is the TITLE. Are they begging you to watch it? If so, it's probably not worth watching.

I know of a couple of guys on the Florida east coast who do quite well finding gold rings with ice. But they don't post on forums or make youtube videos. Came across them when I was writing some books on beach hunting. They ask me not to reveal their names. Smart guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread