Mbeckk

Feb 14, 2020
Eastern North Carolina Coast
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello everyone!

I'm in the market for my first metal detector. I live on the East Coast in NC and am primarily interested in searching in wet/damp sand, shallow water/creekbeds/tidelines, and mud. Basically the beach and marshlands, with some creeks. Though eventually, I will probably want to venture out to parks and battlefields, so if there is a good all-purpose metal detector that excels in wet environments and dry that would be ideal.

My price range is around $400 or so, though the Nox 800 has caught my eye so I may save up for that. I don't necessarily need something with a gold option, but if it has one for an affordable price, that's great too. From the small research I did, I think a VLF detector will be best, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you for your time and suggestions!
- M

Upvote 0

Oregon_Digger

May 11, 2019
Lane County, Oregon
Detector(s) used
MX Sport -
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If waterproof is a must the new cheap nokta simplex has gotten great reviews for the price ~$255. Or the wet sand comment minelab vanquish is coming out soon. (Only available now in the $500 package or the base model $199 exclusively through dicks website) the 540 for ~$370 isn’t available yet. Minelab vanquish all models even the $199 are multi frequency. Making it IMO one of the best new entry level machines.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox 600 is less expensive than the 800 and might suit your needs too.

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 600 is nice.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Agree with Oregon Digger; since price is a main concern, wait a few months for the Vanquish 340/440/540 series to come out (all on back order) and you can get the 340 for about $200, the 340 for about $300 and 540 for about $450 (you can read the instruction manual for the 440/540 on the Kellyco web site). The main advantage is that the Vanquish is the least expensive multi frequency machine that can handle salt water. Don't let anyone convince you that a single frequency machine (called a VLF) can handle salt water - they can't! Well, I guess that they can if you turn them off or lower the sensitivity so you detect very little.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread