Oak Island

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched an episode of The Curse of Oak Island yesterday and Gary found what he thought was a flat piece of silver what looked like to be about 3”X1” long at the end of the slip way. Turned out to be lead with a high content of tin. Gary uses his trusty CTX, I’ve never used a CTX but I’m pretty confident my nox 800 would be able to tell the difference between lead and silver, especially with a chunk that size. My nox would probably blow a speaker and catch on fire if it sniffed a piece of silver that size[emoji1] To all you CTX users out there, can you tell the difference between lead and silver? Or maybe the high content of tin made it ring up like silver. Maybe it was just to add drama.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He's no fool. Even if it isn't scripted he knows that if he keeps picking up objects and saying "junk", "trash", "crap" and tossing them in the scrap pile he won't be invited back. But if he keeps acting excited and giving a reason to hang around through the commercial breaks they will keep him on the show staff.

After all, he's a "Metal Detection Expert" so he must know a silver from a lead item. That would overload my detector up close . . . but I know enough to back the coil away until it is a stable reading.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all a fraud for the camera. If he isnt smart enough to tell lead from silver, then he isnt even close to being the "expert" hes portrayed as. But I agree with Charlie, its all about the show, even if they specifically tell to say "silver".

RwP

Feb 12, 2020
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry in my little mind the whole series is a insult , it's just another sitcom. Don,t understand why history channel would have a show like it, also think NG airing finding big foot is a let down for what these channels should be. Guess I,m a more realistic type.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry in my little mind the whole series is a insult , it's just another sitcom. Don,t understand why history channel would have a show like it, also think NG airing finding big foot is a let down for what these channels should be. Guess I,m a more realistic type.

Because REAL science and history arent exciting for the brain-dead masses. No viewers = no advertisers = channel goes bankrupt. Now days its all about suspense, drama and fights, even if they have to invent every second of it.

RwP

Feb 12, 2020
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because REAL science and history arent exciting for the brain-dead masses. No viewers = no advertisers = channel goes bankrupt. Now days its all about suspense, drama and fights, even if they have to invent every second of it. [/

I have been watching the Washington series on History channel (last segment on tonight ) and it's more what interests my,so not all bad.

Last edited:

CrowtownSkies

Jan 19, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582115929.404456.jpg

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not sure if everyone is talking about identifying a lead vs silver item BEFORE digging but:
Not sure of the specific piece size (1 x 3 x ?) but in terms of VDI numbers there is no way to tell the difference between silver and lead targets of different sizes with any detector.
I had published previously the correlation between gold ring weight and VDI number for the CTX (CO number) and Equinox 800; as target weight increases so does VDI number – the higher the weight the higher the VDI number for a specific class of items. Here I extend those results to lead and silver.
I took 10 lead items (fishing weights) and 10 silver rings (925) and air tested them with the CTX 3030. For lead, weight ranged from 3.14g to 8oz (224g). VDI CO number ranged from 12:13 to 9:41 (see photo 1). In general, VDI number increased as weight increased. For silver rings, weight ranged from 1.1g to 7.4g and VDI number ranged from 12:22 to 13:47 (photo 2). Again, as weight increased so did VDI number. Due to the large overlap in VDI numbers for lead and silver, it would not be possible, a priori, to differentiate lead from silver (or gold) alone.

Lead VDI number and weight 2020.jpg

Silver ring VDI and weight 2020.jpg

Besides VDI number, MDers can use VDI number stability and sound to differentiate targets. For both lead and silver, VDI numbers are very stable (as opposed to some junk) and so it is unlikely that VDI number stability alone adds much value in differentiating lead from silver targets. This leaves sound and the only remaining source of information for differentiating lead from silver. Due to severe hearing loss, I cannot comment as to another MDer’s ability to use sound to differentiate lead from silver – all I can say is I sure cannot differentiate lead from silver by sound alone.

Gold – 16
Silver – 24
Lead – No idea

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Take these reality tv shows for what they are, entertainment, and not so much reality. They are told at times what to do and how to act. A good example is the legend of the superstition mountains. It ran for one season, but the cast members have continued the series on youtube. Interviews on youtube from the cast members explain what they were told to do and what not. I knew before watching this it was probably that way, but hearing it from them just confirmed it for me.

OP
OP
nuggetdog

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if everyone is talking about identifying a lead vs silver item BEFORE digging but:
Not sure of the specific piece size (1 x 3 x ?) but in terms of VDI numbers there is no way to tell the difference between silver and lead targets of different sizes with any detector.
I had published previously the correlation between gold ring weight and VDI number for the CTX (CO number) and Equinox 800; as target weight increases so does VDI number – the higher the weight the higher the VDI number for a specific class of items. Here I extend those results to lead and silver.
I took 10 lead items (fishing weights) and 10 silver rings (925) and air tested them with the CTX 3030. For lead, weight ranged from 3.14g to 8oz (224g). VDI CO number ranged from 12:13 to 9:41 (see photo 1). In general, VDI number increased as weight increased. For silver rings, weight ranged from 1.1g to 7.4g and VDI number ranged from 12:22 to 13:47 (photo 2). Again, as weight increased so did VDI number. Due to the large overlap in VDI numbers for lead and silver, it would not be possible, a priori, to differentiate lead from silver (or gold) alone.

View attachment 1803202

View attachment 1803200

Besides VDI number, MDers can use VDI number stability and sound to differentiate targets. For both lead and silver, VDI numbers are very stable (as opposed to some junk) and so it is unlikely that VDI number stability alone adds much value in differentiating lead from silver targets. This leaves sound and the only remaining source of information for differentiating lead from silver. Due to severe hearing loss, I cannot comment as to another MDer’s ability to use sound to differentiate lead from silver – all I can say is I sure cannot differentiate lead from silver by sound alone.

Gold – 16
Silver – 24
Lead – No idea

The piece of lead was approx. 1X3” and thin like sheet metal.
That’s interesting you say that no detector can tell the difference between lead and silver. My nox 800 consistently reads 16 for lead from fishing sinkers up to a 4 inch long salmon lure and 25 and up for silver items.
Thanks for posting, just found it funny that Gary claimed he found silver but it turned out to be lead.
I will continue to watch the series when I can for entertainment.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats strange, on the F75 lead is not a high tone?

chub

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A metal detector has zero knowledge of what metal is under the coil. Anyone who claims different doesnt understand his equipment. But when you look at something after cleaning it off, THAT is when you can begin making determination of composition

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece of lead was approx. 1X3” and thin like sheet metal.
That’s interesting you say that no detector can tell the difference between lead and silver. My nox 800 consistently reads 16 for lead from fishing sinkers up to a 4 inch long salmon lure and 25 and up for silver items.
Thanks for posting, just found it funny that Gary claimed he found silver but it turned out to be lead.
I will continue to watch the series when I can for entertainment.

A 16 reading on the Equinox could be a pull tab, chunk of can slaw, fishing weight, small silver item, or a gold ring. I've found all those items with a 16 reading along with all kinds of other items. At Oak Island, he's running all metal and digging everything, which is what he should be doing. I just wish he would be using some headphones and grid each area with cones......he looks like such a newb hunting the way he does.

SilverDreams

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2005
Vinemont, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A 16 reading on the Equinox could be a pull tab, chunk of can slaw, fishing weight, small silver item, or a gold ring. I've found all those items with a 16 reading along with all kinds of other items. At Oak Island, he's running all metal and digging everything, which is what he should be doing. I just wish he would be using some headphones and grid each area with cones......he looks like such a newb hunting the way he does.

Totally agree! Each episode he says he's going to do his zigzag pattern and then he finds 2 iron spikes and they're done for the day. It's frustrating!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread