Garrett AT Pro or Minelab Equinox 600?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Garrett AT Pro or Minelab Equinox 600?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2005
    Vinemont, Alabama
    Garrett Ace 250
    218 times
    Metal Detecting

Garrett AT Pro or Minelab Equinox 600?

Hey all, I'm wanting to upgrade detectors and was hoping for some advice. I've been using a Garrett Ace 250 for over 12 years now and have been in and out of the hobby. I'm wanting to get more serious into detecting and upgrade my machine but I'm not sure which to upgrade to.

I will mainly be detecting older sites for coins and relics and going back over past sites to see what I missed with the Ace.

The AT Pro and Equinox 600 are at my max price range at the moment. I've seen pros and cons for each machine and I'm mainly looking to find that deep, older stuff and to eliminate as much trash as possible.

Amazon currently has the AT Pro Sports Pack for $488.70 and the cheapest Equinox I see is $649. If the Equinox is the better machine, is it worth that price difference?

A follow up question for Equinox users....I've heard that Equinox is great at finding nickels. Is that true in your experience?

Thanks so much for the help!
    "Today's the day!" - Mel Fisher

Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    NOX899
    4002 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Equinox is the winner hands down...
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

us
    Mar 2017
    Western North Carolina
    Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
    394 times
    I started with the AT Pro. Fine machine. I sold it and got a 800, also a fine machine.
    The difference is the 800 is great at the beach the AT is not.
    The At is easier to use. The 800 has many more settings to get used to.

Those are just a few things that really pop out.

us
    herman

Mar 2013
    taylorville,IL
    minelab equinox minelab e trac
    34 times
    PM sent

Jul 2014
    113 times
    I use both. If you ever plan salt beach detecting then the Nox is a must over the pro. However if salt is not in the picture then the the Nox does not have much of an edge. Neither machine in my opinion will eliminate trash. In fact the Nox might increase your trash take. The pro is a grab and go machine with excellent versatility. Its traditional battery use is in my opinion a plus. It is sturdy, reliable and with a small coil very effective in trashy areas and hard to get to spots. The Nox is a bit more sophisticated and maybe with a great deal of learning and tweaking of various settings it has a slight edge on depth. Wireless is also a factor if you want to use it but involves another set of variables. Just my thoughts and somethings to consider. Either will do the job.
    mh9162013 and Dancer like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Drew

Jan 2020
    Lebanon pa
    Garrett AT pro
    33 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm new at this and my AT Pro I'm happy with , I'm interested about intel of salt water with the AT Pro. Any info
    From you guy would be appreciated. Ground balance is nice easy to use as waterproof to a point

Jul 2014
    113 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    I'm new at this and my AT Pro I'm happy with , I'm interested about intel of salt water with the AT Pro. Any info
    From you guy would be appreciated. Ground balance is nice easy to use as waterproof to a point
    I am very close to the beach and in my area of the north east the ATPro just can't cut it. In the wet salt the sensitivity needs to reduced to the point that effective detecting is very compromised, if not impossible. On dry sand it does work well, but I do mean dry, not low tide dry.

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    10420 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Have you checked out the Vanquish line? Looks like a pretty good deal and a simple step up from your ACE.
    mh9162013 likes this.

us
    May 2010
    67 times
    The AT pro doesn't have a backlight so if you like hunting in low light conditions, you will have difficulty seeing the small display. They equinox has a backlight and a lot larger display which is easier to see in low light conditions.

The AT pro doesn't have a rechargeable battery. You can buy a rechargeable battery which will add to the price. The equinox has a rechargeable battery and good battery life.

You can also buy some aftermarket Bluetooth headphones for the equinox. The equinox has a built in transmitter so all you will need is a set of compatible headphones.

You can also buy the z-lynk for the Garrett and make it wireless. It will be a bit more pricey but you can also get the wireless pin pointer with it and you can hear the pin pointer in your wireless headphones which also comes with the z-lynk kit. It runs around $250+

By the time you go wireless with the AT pro and buy a rechargeable battery, you will be paying a lot more than an equinox 600 and some wireless headphones.

If you like the Garrett detectors, the better way to go is with the AT max as it comes with the wireless Z-lynk. Plus the max has a backlight. Find a package deal that includes the wireless pin pointer. All you would need to do at some point is buy a rechargeable battery.

After all is said and done, the equinox 600 will be the cheaper way to go and a better bargain.
    Last edited by halfstep; Feb 18, 2020 at 09:05 PM.

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    555 times
    I had an AT Pro, used it for two years and then Purchased the Equinox 600 and with my military discount it came to about $550.00. I can't really name one thing that is better about the AT Pro. The Equinox 600 for me outperforms the AT Pro in all aspects. Just get your self a pair of low latency wireless headphones (I got them off amazon for like 35.00 and they automatically connect wirelessly to the EQ600, no adapters needed).
    Last edited by GoDeep; Feb 18, 2020 at 09:39 PM.
    cudamark likes this.

Feb 2020
    Europe
    Invenio by Nokta-Makro
    1 times
    Cache Hunting
    Hey there, i have been looking everywhere and quite everybody says the equinox is better, i didn’t have any of them at hands but i would consider the what the majority’s experience with those machines.

I wish you luck with your future detector

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8199 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I can't think of one thing that the At Pro does better than the Equinox, plus it's lighter.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    855 times
    I had been away from detecting for many years and re-entered with a Equinox 600. I had a long learning curve but really like the machine now that I have a few hours of experience with it. If you are looking for deeply buried treasures, the EQ-600 is a depth monster. My "best" find at depth is a cadmium plated siding nail at about 14".
    ---------------------
    To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.
    Therefore, remember your creator in the days of your youth.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, Simplex, sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot.
    957 times
    Relic Hunting
    AT Pro is a very good machine, easy to learn and use. Proven over time to be a solid machine. Equinox will be harder to learn. Stay in the default modes and you will be fine and have an easier learning curve. As you really learn the settings and theory behind the settings then you can adjust them a little from the default setting. Usually that is all you need to do.

To answer another reply about ocean beach hunting:

AT pro is pretty worthless in salt water. Little better in ocean wet sand and really ok for dry beach. For ocean water (moving salt water) need PI machine or Equinox. I have used both on the ocean beach in the moving salt water.
    Last edited by pulltabfelix; Mar 08, 2020 at 08:55 AM.
    My New book "Guide to Modern Metal Detecting" January 2019, 164 pages. Printed version on Amazon - $29.00
    Special offer to Treasure Net members - PDF ebook ready for PC, Mac and iPhone - FREE Download send me private message for link.

us
    Dec 2015
    Pennsylvania
    AT Pro Infinium L/S Deep Tech Vista X Headhunter Pirate Pro
    89 times
    Metal Detecting
    If your just hunting dirt, fresh water and not great on modern Technology I go with the Pro. Get the 5x8 coil for trashy sites.
    If you like tinkering your machine for a little more performance, and hunting salt water, go with the Nox.
    When you by do your self a favor. Check out the sponsors on this forum. You'll be talking to a person who will help you through any difficulty. You might be surprised at their prices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links