Ah man, no way is this happening !!!###=!

Dancer

Dec 21, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Infinium L/S
Deep Tech Vista X
Headhunter Pirate Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So wife and I were away for a week end. (Before Cell phones) Night before we agreed for her to drop me off for a hunt and pick me up couple hours later. So changed out my batteries for fresh ones. Got all the rest of my gear ready. Before leaving made sure to ck every thing. So she dropped me off I put my head phones on and switched the machine. Than to my horror ,the switch was already on. Silence ! Somehow fate got me good. Batteries drained. No transportation or phone. Had to sit around for 2 hours feeling stupid.

Upvote 0

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did something very similar except I drove out to a site and discovered the same thing but I was able to drive to a 7-11 and score some more go juice.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks I've lost my pin pointer after about an hour into a hunt and had to spend 3 hours looking for it next time will be a payday to make up for it. Tommy

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So wife and I were away for a week end. (Before Cell phones) Night before we agreed for her to drop me off for a hunt and pick me up couple hours later. So changed out my batteries for fresh ones. Got all the rest of my gear ready. Before leaving made sure to ck every thing. So she dropped me off I put my head phones on and switched the machine. Than to my horror ,the switch was already on. Silence ! Somehow fate got me good. Batteries drained. No transportation or phone. Had to sit around for 2 hours feeling stupid.

One of the golden rules is to have a spare set of detector batteries and one for the pin pointer every time you go out. I was hunting an hour away from home one Saturday in a small town and had to pay a fortune for two 9v batteries at the local hardware store. Heck I get enough batteries for Christmas to last a season or more now and for the past 4 years so I am the go-to-guy when I detect with multiple friends and their batteries die.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sucks I've lost my pin pointer after about an hour into a hunt and had to spend 3 hours looking for it next time will be a payday to make up for it. Tommy

Hey Tommy I had that happen back in 2014 with the old black Garret pin pointer in a dark woods at dusk. Luckily I found it after 45 minutes of back tracking. I now have some hot pink duct tape on it so it stands out better in the woods. I have 2 pin pointers now, won't hunt without one anymore.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That sucks!
But not as bad as last year when I lost a backpack out the back of my truck that had about $500 worth of MD items including 2 pointers, new rain jacket, gloves, duc tape, tools and about every spare part you need for a CTX 3030 and Excal 1000 including spare battery packs! Drove back-and-forth (45 minutes one way) twice looking for the backpack on side of the road and never found. Worse yet, never did get to hunt that day.

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks!
But not as bad as last year when I lost a backpack out the back of my truck that had about $500 worth of MD items including 2 pointers, new rain jacket, gloves, duc tape, tools and about every spare part you need for a CTX 3030 and Excal 1000 including spare battery packs! Drove back-and-forth (45 minutes one way) twice looking for the backpack on side of the road and never found. Worse yet, never did get to hunt that day.

I remember that... wow never did find it. That sucks.

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Drove 5 1/2 hours with hot plans to hunt some late 1800s houses. Got there, put on all my gear, flipped the switch and....nothing!??? Changed battery packs....nothing! Removed batteries and replaced with fresh from a pack....nothing. Contacted mfg and sent it to them..$100! Said they fixed it and sent it back. Slid in a battery pack with fresh batteries...nothing!:BangHead: Sent it back. This time with one of my battery packs. They checked it out and found I had a grey film corrosion on battery pack leads. Cleaned the leads and it worked perfectly. :violent1: I now carry a piece of super fine sandpaper in my possibles backpack!

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drove 2 hours to a site with the wife and kids, brand new batteries. This site was way up in the mtns. Detector was broke down and packed in the backpack. Hiked 1 hour to the site, put it back together and nothing, wouldn’t turn on. I tried everything i could think of and nothing worked. Luckily we packed gold pans so the day wasn’t a total loss. We all felt a little spooked that day, felt like we were being watched. When we got home I put the machine back together and it started right up and never had a problem since.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Drove 2 hours to a site with the wife and kids, brand new batteries. This site was way up in the mtns. Detector was broke down and packed in the backpack. Hiked 1 hour to the site, put it back together and nothing, wouldn’t turn on. I tried everything i could think of and nothing worked. Luckily we packed gold pans so the day wasn’t a total loss. We all felt a little spooked that day, felt like we were being watched. When we got home I put the machine back together and it started right up and never had a problem since.

Spooky!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had my GF drop me at beach at sunrise - she was gonna race back to hotel and sleep for a few hours then come back when parking lot opened
I grab everything (so I thought) I was going out to hunt the water before beach opened and people jump in making it harder to hunt.- I got my mask my dive boots my pouch my gloves my machine - she drives off - she is like 50yrds away when I realize my left hand is empty ...no scoop. I try waving hoping she might look in her mirror - nope. Okay...I got my mask - I will just have to drop and fan....nope...get in water and there is no viz at all. I drop down and cant even see my hand.
Ended up doing something you would rarely ever see me do - I hit the dry sand. I did dry sand when I was younger - I do not do dry sand now. It is usually hammered by many others and I never found even close to the amount of gold on land as I do in the water. I figured I wasn't gonna find anything because guys usually pound this beach at sunset...well, they must have been hitting one of the other popular beaches because I actually found 5 pieces of silver jewelry and a ton of new coins. I was upset about not being able to do which was the water before people showed - but could have done much worse.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing, I've not forgot anything of late.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to put my detector in the car once after a hunt. Saw it fall in my side mirrors. Would have definatly drove over it had I not seen it while reversing. So sorry your batteries died. I would have looked around for surface finds if I were stranded..

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000 w/NEL SS, Nokta Impact, Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Minelab Equinox 800, White's Coinmaster 4/DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks!

That is brutal! Dang.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread