Upgrading from Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, but couldn’t pull the trigger.

BABALONGOGGLES

Jan 10, 2020
Eastern WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I’ve got about 24 hours in with the Tracker IV and I had originally told myself I had a limit of $400 so decided to get the Garrett ACE 400. Added to cart and read a negative review and chickened out.

My question is: if I’m getting about 4 inches for coin targets with the Tracker IV, how much more depth could I reasonably expect to get from an ACE 250? 350? 400? I’m willing to spend the money if I’m assured to get at least 8 inches, but I’d rather spend around $300. I’ve found that I do alright with tones, but a visual ID might be nice. However, a bunch of extra features aren’t super important to me.

Would you recommend a different detector altogether in the $250-$400 price range? I’d like to make a purchase today, so any input that isn’t “just save up and get an AT Pro” would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Classic ID, Mikronta 4003
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Save up and get an equinox 800. Lol but in all honesty I'd go Garrett anyday over bounty hunter.

halfstep

May 11, 2010
The Notka Makro Simplex is hard to beat for the money. It is a waterproof detector and has some nice features. It runs $254 or $339 depending on if you want wireless headphones.

Also, the Minelab Vanquish are also a good choice and is a multi-frequency detector. It isn't waterproof so it depends on your needs.

The Garrett Ace series detectors are good detectors but have been out for a while and there are better choices for the money. They really need to update their Ace line. It appears Garrett has something new in the makings and should be released soon so if you are interested in a Garrett detector, it may be worth waiting.

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nokta Makro Simplex + at that price cannot be beat.
Contact a dealer for best pricing.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own the Equinox and the Vanquish. I am very familiar with most of the Nokta Makro and Garrett, Whites and First Texas detectors too having owned and used many of them. If you have moderate mineralization in you soil near Spokane where you hunt, the Equinox and Vanquish may give you better numerical target ID and tone accuracy. Their Multi IQ simultaneous multi frequency operation really does help with penetrating deeper in moderate to high mineralization than most single frequency VLF detectors. They are the only detectors that I have used that can accurately identify targets past 5 to 6" in my Colorado dirt. You can get a Vanquish 440 for less than $300 and it operates much better than the typical entry level detector. The 540 is a little higher but still a great option if you can afford it.

Jeff

DIGGINNDETECTIN

Feb 20, 2020
NORTH STONINGTON, CT
Detector(s) used
XP ORX, EQUINOX 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want the best bang for your buck in my opinion the best deal is the Simplex the fact that it is waterproof alone makes it worth it. I have handled one and used one for a minute but do not own one. I have heard good things about it and it is well equip for the price.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
With the Simplex, if you’re beach hunting the “Beach Mode” with its single tone may not be the best choice as every target sounds the same. IMHO

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive neen using an ACE 250 for 3 years now. Can definatly pick stuff up at 6 to 8 inches. I am looking to upgrade as I have some water spots I'd like to hit. Good machine but there are better ones for the money. Dont be hasty with your choice and good luck out there.

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been using an Ace 250, upgraded from a Bounty Hunter, since 2014. Recently, I upgraded the coil to the 11 inch Double D and I am finding targets really, really deep. Some as much as 12 to 14 inches.

I live on 4 acres in an area that was settled in the late 1700's. It has picked up 7 very tiny pewter with gilt buttons pretty deep. Sometime in the next year I am going to invest in the Equinox 600, but many, many hours on the Ace have taught me to listen to my machine and know my ground. I love the 250.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I’ve got about 24 hours in with the Tracker IV and I had originally told myself I had a limit of $400 so decided to get the Garrett ACE 400. Added to cart and read a negative review and chickened out.

My question is: if I’m getting about 4 inches for coin targets with the Tracker IV, how much more depth could I reasonably expect to get from an ACE 250? 350? 400? I’m willing to spend the money if I’m assured to get at least 8 inches, but I’d rather spend around $300. I’ve found that I do alright with tones, but a visual ID might be nice. However, a bunch of extra features aren’t super important to me.

Would you recommend a different detector altogether in the $250-$400 price range? I’d like to make a purchase today, so any input that isn’t “just save up and get an AT Pro” would be appreciated.

There are a number of machines (in your stated price range) that can hit coins at 8 inches - providing the soil conditions aren't too harsh. I have no experience with the Tracker IV, but it could be that your soil is limiting the machine's ability to detect coin sized objects deeper than 4 inches. If your soil is tough it will be a factor no matter what machine you end up using.

Coil size will play a role as well.

The deepest coin I've ever dug was a quarter at a legitimate 12 inches, but that was in fairly sandy soil that was moist (it had rained the day prior). Most of my coin finds have been dug at 6 inches or less.

You might want to consider a used machine. If your mind is set on an AT Pro, I would think that you can find a good condition used AT Pro for $400 if you give yourself some time.

Other potential machines (used and new) not yet mentioned:

Tesoro Vaquero - will easily hit 8 inches in most soil conditions
Tesoro Cibola - should hit 8 inches in most soil conditions
Tek Patriot - will easily hit 8 inches in most soil conditions (I believe it sells for $400 brand new)
Makro Kruzer - will easily hit 8 inches in most soil conditions (shopping around might find a good used one for $400)
Nokta Makro Racer 2 - should hit 8 inches in most soil conditions (likely to find one used for $400 or a bit less)
Whites MX Sport - will easily hit 8 inches in most soil conditions (might find a good used one for $400)
Whites MX 7 - will easily hit 8 inches in most soil conditions (might find a good used one for $400)
Whites MX All Pro - will easily hit 8 inches in most soil conditions (might find a good used one for $400)
Tek Omega 8500 - will hit 8 inches in most soil conditions (new for $400)
Tek Eurotek Pro - should hit 8 inches in most soil conditions (new for $250)
Fisher F75 - will easily hit 8 inches in most soil conditions (should be able to find a used one for $400 or a bit less)
Tek T2 - will easily hit 8 inches in most soil conditions (should be able to find a used one for $400 or less)

I'm sure there are a number of machines that I've overlooked.

Good luck with your hunt for a new machine.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
DON'T BUY ANYTHING RIGHT NOW! At 24 hrs w a machine, any machine, you don't have any experience to speak of and even less knowledge of metal detecting. Stick w the Tracker IV until you have 200 hrs on the machine and understand all the features and what are the true limitations given your area/soil/hunting conditions. Like golf clubs, we're always looking for something more, something new. But until you get some real hrs of hunting under your belt, just learn and understand the machine you have. Sure a new machine sounds good but do your research and do not rely on others to tell you the best machine for you for your money. Read, read and do more reading on this site and others. If you jump in and buy another metal detector before you really know what your dealing and what YOU really need you will ultimately be disappointed.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DON'T BUY ANYTHING RIGHT NOW! At 24 hrs w a machine, any machine, you don't have any experience to speak of and even less knowledge of metal detecting. Stick w the Tracker IV until you have 200 hrs on the machine and understand all the features and what are the true limitations given your area/soil/hunting conditions. Like golf clubs, we're always looking for something more, something new. But until you get some real hrs of hunting under your belt, just learn and understand the machine you have. Sure a new machine sounds good but do your research and do not rely on others to tell you the best machine for you for your money. Read, read and do more reading on this site and others. If you jump in and buy another metal detector before you really know what your dealing and what YOU really need you will ultimately be disappointed.
Best advice yet. [emoji106]

yearsago

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2017
VA.
Detector(s) used
XP, DMC2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agreed the best machine is the one you know how to use.
Learn your machine and learn to trust it.
Dig it all..
Best of luck and happy digging.

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True. 24 hours is not enough time. Ive been using my Tracker for three years and just when i think i know it , it will surprise me. I kept buying other detectors but kept going back to the Tracker because it was simpler , easyer to use and i knew it. I have a Fisher CZ6a but unless im near the saltwater or hunting a specific spot for old coins , i still prefer the Tracker. You'll be surprised what you'll know after 50/60/70 + hours.
Around here my Tracker goes as deep as any other detector ive had. Quarters at 6inch in dirt 8 in dry sand.
Except my Fisher will go 10 in dirt and 16 in sand but its a $800 machine thats been Dan Kowalski tuned.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions