Nox 800 or Simplex? I Just Want A Machine For The Park AND The River..

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. Im ready to move on from my Ace 250. We've had some fun finds over the last 3 seasons. I can't tell you how many hours I've put on the old thing.

Anyways Im ready for an upgrade. Mostly I detect a large park with woods (spring/fall) and playing fields (summer) There is a river spot that has been calling me for a while now. There was a large swim beach in the 1930s and 1940s. Im ready to get in the water this summer. I've taken my kayak through the swimming area and I say its maybe 4-5 feet at its deepest and ankle deep at the shalowest.

I've seen a lot of videos of both the Nox and Simplex. I know they are worlds apart in price. Is the Nox worth it? Is the Simplex too good to be true? I like the multi frequency option and I have a single frequency machine now. I like the vibrating handle option. Backlights, Coil options, Waterproof, Mode options all that jazz. Id like to make a purchase I will be happy with AND keep my wife on my good side too :laughing7: I know I'm not going to just hop in the water and find the good stuff. Im ready to learn the new machine and put the hours in. I will proably make a purchace within a few months when the weather is Much better.

If you have used either machine or both let me know your thoughts. Id like to know what other machines you have used also. Looking forward to hearing from you guys and girls.

Thanks and happy hunting!

TheMilDetector.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lemarquez

Greenie
Nov 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. Im ready to move on from my Ace 250. We've had some fun finds over the last 3 seasons. I can't tell you how many hours I've put on the old thing.

Anyways Im ready for an upgrade. Mostly I detect a large park with woods (spring/fall) and playing fields (summer) There is a river spot that has been calling me for a while now. There was a large swim beach in the 1930s and 1940s. Im ready to get in the water this summer. I've taken my kayak through the swimming area and I say its maybe 4-5 feet at its deepest and ankle deep at the shalowest.

I've seen a lot of videos of both the Nox and Simplex. I know they are worlds apart in price. Is the Nox worth it? Is the Simplex too good to be true? I like the multi frequency option and I have a single frequency machine now. I like the vibrating handle option. Backlights, Coil options, Waterproof, Mode options all that jazz. Id like to make a purchase I will be happy with AND keep my wife on my good side too :laughing7: I know I'm not going to just hop in the water and find the good stuff. Im ready to learn the new machine and put the hours in. I will proably make a purchace within a few months when the weather is Much better.

If you have used either machine or both let me know your thoughts. Id like to know what other machines you have used also. Looking forward to hearing from you guys and girls.

Thanks and happy hunting!

TheMilDetector.

Personally, between NOX and SIMPLEX, I prefer NOX because it is much more versatile. I have the 2 machines and I use NOX every day and the SIMPLEX I use for backup.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks lemarquez. Got the nox800 2 weeks ago and it has not disappointed me at all. I've found things the ace has missed and it finds DEEP relics. Once i can post pics again I'll give a round up of my first 10 hours with it �� good luck out there.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe it's time to get the Wife a Simplex with wireless headphones?

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's time to get the Wife a Simplex with wireless headphones?

Lol she CAN'T STAND the beeping. I need to mute my MD videos sometimes if she is there with me :laughing7:

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya that Nox should blow the Ace line out. Good choice and best of luck.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do your research and the go with your gut. If you don't have a good feeling you will always wonder. Any detector I ever bought that didn't give me butterflies waiting for it to be shipped I wasn't happy with. I took a very reputable vendors advice on one detector I wasn't sold on and in 6 months I was in the market again. For me I have had what I say are 3 fails in detectors I didn't like and 3 wins for detectors I was excited about.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do your research and the go with your gut. If you don't have a good feeling you will always wonder. Any detector I ever bought that didn't give me butterflies waiting for it to be shipped I wasn't happy with. I took a very reputable vendors advice on one detector I wasn't sold on and in 6 months I was in the market again. For me I have had what I say are 3 fails in detectors I didn't like and 3 wins for detectors I was excited about.

Thanks for the advice Normsel. I went along and got the Nox800. Believe me I had butterflies when it showed up at my door and couldent get it together fast enough. I have about 20 hours on it so far and it has not disappointed me. First silver coin with it was a 1944 Walker 9 inches deep. Lots of other cool relics too that I have missed in the past with my Ace250. Good Luck Happy Hunting and Stay Safe!

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice Normsel. I went along and got the Nox800. Believe me I had butterflies when it showed up at my door and couldent get it together fast enough. I have about 20 hours on it so far and it has not disappointed me. First silver coin with it was a 1944 Walker 9 inches deep. Lots of other cool relics too that I have missed in the past with my Ace250. Good Luck Happy Hunting and Stay Safe!

You need to look at it another way. That ACE 250 helped you clean up the top layer of junk so the Equinox 800 could see deeper. There is nothing wrong with using a "weaker" detector that has less depth to clean up before a deeper seeking unit is used over an area. Sort of smart method really. You get double the hunting fun. Unfortunately in this humid heat must admit I'd rather cherry pick.

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I did the same thing with my NOX 800. Had the same issue. I used to think of it as the coin collector. Bought an XP Deus and haven’t looked back. Sold the Equi 3 days later. I’m calling targets to, and doing pretty good.

silverhog

Dec 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
consider the equinox 600

There is no comparison between the equinox 600 and the simplex --- equinox is far superior. You don't have to go all the way from simplex to the equinox 800. For what you are using it for (which is the same as myself) you can get an equinox 600 for 500 bucks and you will find all the coins you want. Also consider the Nokta makro multi kruzer. I just got one of these machines for 500 bucks and it has really nice settings like the equinox 800 where you can set the tones, tone breaks and tone volume --- this makes it much easier to detect the target you are looking for. You can only read the signals for so long when there is a lot of chatter but with these advanced settings you can detect much longer and discriminate much easier.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no comparison between the equinox 600 and the simplex --- equinox is far superior. You don't have to go all the way from simplex to the equinox 800. For what you are using it for (which is the same as myself) you can get an equinox 600 for 500 bucks and you will find all the coins you want. Also consider the Nokta makro multi kruzer. I just got one of these machines for 500 bucks and it has really nice settings like the equinox 800 where you can set the tones, tone breaks and tone volume --- this makes it much easier to detect the target you are looking for. You can only read the signals for so long when there is a lot of chatter but with these advanced settings you can detect much longer and discriminate much easier.

I conseidered the 600 but went with the 800 anyways. Been using it for 6 months or so and Im at 25 silvers, 1 big gold ring, 2 Large cents and A LOT of sweet relics. I will be getting the 6 inch coil for it soon. Verry impressed with the machine so far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread