Nox 800 or Simplex? I Just Want A Machine For The Park AND The River..

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. Im ready to move on from my Ace 250. We've had some fun finds over the last 3 seasons. I can't tell you how many hours I've put on the old thing.

Anyways Im ready for an upgrade. Mostly I detect a large park with woods (spring/fall) and playing fields (summer) There is a river spot that has been calling me for a while now. There was a large swim beach in the 1930s and 1940s. Im ready to get in the water this summer. I've taken my kayak through the swimming area and I say its maybe 4-5 feet at its deepest and ankle deep at the shalowest.

I've seen a lot of videos of both the Nox and Simplex. I know they are worlds apart in price. Is the Nox worth it? Is the Simplex too good to be true? I like the multi frequency option and I have a single frequency machine now. I like the vibrating handle option. Backlights, Coil options, Waterproof, Mode options all that jazz. Id like to make a purchase I will be happy with AND keep my wife on my good side too :laughing7: I know I'm not going to just hop in the water and find the good stuff. Im ready to learn the new machine and put the hours in. I will proably make a purchace within a few months when the weather is Much better.

If you have used either machine or both let me know your thoughts. Id like to know what other machines you have used also. Looking forward to hearing from you guys and girls.

Thanks and happy hunting!

TheMilDetector.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I had the NOX600 and there were just some things that didn't sit well with me personally like the audio tones and vdi range (but those are personal preferences) The main issue I had is that the tight vdi range at least for me had me guessing more than I would like to in the parks. For example everyone will tell you a nickel is 12/13 or solid 13 (If I recall correctly) but you will get all kinds of stuff in a modern park from 12-18 range. Now this is a subjective opinion but I like a little more separation between my mid conductors. I got to the point with the machine where I was over selective because of this range and only dug 20 or greater. You could argue that I probably passed over a lot of good targets including gold rings but it was just information overload and I don't like digging trash all day. However I know it is a great machine and probably does very well in areas of saltwater.

When I purchased my XP ORX It just was a night and day difference in terms of weight/balance and audio response. I can call my targets with incredible accuracy from a quarter to bottle cap to a nickel to sometimes even two coins next to each other it just that fast.
Also don't be fooled the 9" HD coil on the ORX is very deep maybe a little less than the NOX but certainly good enough for Indiana fields. I don't worry about park1, park2,field1, field2 fe ..blah blah. You can turn it on and go and I will occasionally switch from Deus Fast to Deep to check a target but that is it. ( I like simple)

Now I just got the Simplex (My wife is also super happy about this as well! but you only turn 40 once!) so I will be taking it out some today maybe and this weekend and will let you know what I think. I can already tell you it is pretty awesome in terms of build quality and features.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks eman1000 for your response. Currently my Ace250 is a 0-99 machine but it lacks having any vdi numbers. I just get a fancy bar at the top with pictures for what the target may be. I think it has 20 bars that it bounces around for target id. So for me having any numbers is a plus but I can understand the frustration of having less numbers to go off of.

Im fortunate to have many centurys worth of targets ranging from fur trade hatchets, a 1807 KGIII, 1800s IHPS, 1900s silvers, muzzle loader and modern lead and jewlery and so on. I try to dig everything but its not possible sometimes.

Build quality and multiple programs is a plus. Let me know how the simplex works out for you this weekend. I think my ground is not frozen finally and I'll be hitting the dirt as well. Winter is not my favorite. Its been too long.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The Equinox is a far better detector than the Simplex. One example is on the Simplex, in the Beach mode, it only has 1 tone. I need more than a single tone to ID targets at the beach..especially at a trashy beach.

You can grow with the 800 but I believe, for me anyway, I could quickly outgrow the Simplex.

The detector that I use the most, even at the beach, is the XP Deus. It’s the perfect detector. Super lightweight and incredibly advanced. I love the x/y screen when beach hunting and the last outing with it I found a nice platinum ring.

The next detector that I suggest you take a look at is the XP ORX. I’m just getting to know this excellent lightweight hunter and I think it’s one of my favorites. See Gary’s video on YouTube on the ORX to get an idea of how awesome it is.
Good luck,
Rusty
P.S. I did own the Simplex and it has some good features, for it price set, but it was not one I wanted to use on the beach or shallow saltwater.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks RustyGold for your input. I run all metal with full sensitivity always. For me iron tells me a story about what I may expect to find. In the past I've tried to discriminate the iron but those darn square nails sound too good to pass up somtimes. They will ring like a dime on occasion.

I've detected one beach on lake Michigan once when I first started and all I heard was trash. It turned me off to beach detecting. The other time was in Mexico but there was so much else to do while I was there and I maybe spent an hour detecting. Still fun to find some pesos but not much else.

This swim beach is on the Milwaukee river. I expect to find a lot of trash so I will use all metal like always. I wish the old picture if people swimming was still around so I could show just how packed this place used to be. There were maybe 500 people there in that old picture but I cant find it online anymore. I definatly want a machine I can grow with so thanks for your opinion. Im at the point where I've outgrown my Ace.

Sticking with Garrett was an option till I saw a side by side with the AT Max and Nox 800. For $100 more the Nox was night and day with coin targets as the Max sounded like iron on the same coin target. I was shocked.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_2020-03-06-11-38-22.png

Here is a arial pic from 1937 of the swim beach.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a awesome place to detect..

Inspector Comet

Jan 3, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go with Garrett before a Turkey made, Nox land is where you want to be..

Blasphemer!

Sorry Toecutter, couldn't resist :laughing7:

In all honesty I do think the Simplex is a solid, well-built, feature rich machine at a stupid low price. If they can charge less given that it's from Turkey, then that sounds like a good deal to me. Call it a turd if you want. In that case it's a turd I don't mind swinging around in public.

Now then, opinions aside...

I've seen a lot of videos of both the Nox and Simplex. I know they are worlds apart in price. Is the Nox worth it? Is the Simplex too good to be true?

The simplex Target ID is going to line up more neatly than the Nox will to your Ace 250. Though there may still be some differences, it might be a faster adjustment. You also have the price advantage as you mentioned.

On the other hand, the Nox looks like a solid machine and I know a lot of people like it (looking at you Toecutter). I bought the Simplex as a way to get into the hobby, so if you are looking for a step up from your first machine after a few years, it may make sense to get a more mid to high end machine like the Nox. I think the Nox will be the better machine, but the question is if it's worth the extra cost. One other thing I'll say for the Nox is that there are other coils available for it, which is something the Simplex does not yet have.

Choose wisely, and keep us informed!

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave_e please end the personal insults now.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a Simplex and it's big cousins the Kruzer, Multi Kruzer, and Anfibio. Those last three are great detectors too and the Simplex is just a less feature rich version of those more complicated waterproof detectors. You might want to look at them too.

The XP detectors are not waterproof and submerging them even using the XP waterproofing kit is awkward and scary in my opinion. Otherwise, they are incredible detectors. Like Beachhunter, I really like the XP ORX. Would I pick it over a Simplex, Kruzer, Anfibio, Equinox, Whites MX Sport or Garret AT series for submerged freshwater work????? NO! Would it work well on dry salt water and damp salt water beaches....yes.

If you aren't going to do any gold prospecting and if you plan on hunting submerged, you may not need the wireless module and bluetooth headphones supplied with the Equinox 800. You might need waterproof wired Equinox headphones instead. The Equinox 600 is a great metal detector and detects just as well as the 800 when they are set up the same way. I have both the 600 and 800 and know this to be true.

If you aren't going to submerge the control box, the Minelab Vanquish models are outstanding detectors for the money, just like the Simplex. They would be an upgrade for your Ace. Also, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the Garrett AT series detectors. They are an excellent value as all terrain detectors and will get the job done very well. This is not to discount the test you referred to. That test is accurate from my experience. Every detector has "blind spots".

I believe I read that you like to use all metal with sensitivity at max. The detectors mentioned here made by Nokta Makro, XP, Minelab, Whites and the AT Max are very HOT detectors and are operating at very high transmit levels. Using them with no discrimination and maxed out sensitivity can get overwhelmingly noisy.

Jeff

Last edited:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello everyone. Im ready to move on from my Ace 250. We've had some fun finds over the last 3 seasons. I can't tell you how many hours I've put on the old thing.

Anyways Im ready for an upgrade. Mostly I detect a large park with woods (spring/fall) and playing fields (summer) There is a river spot that has been calling me for a while now. There was a large swim beach in the 1930s and 1940s. Im ready to get in the water this summer. I've taken my kayak through the swimming area and I say its maybe 4-5 feet at its deepest and ankle deep at the shalowest.

I've seen a lot of videos of both the Nox and Simplex. I know they are worlds apart in price. Is the Nox worth it? Is the Simplex too good to be true? I like the multi frequency option and I have a single frequency machine now. I like the vibrating handle option. Backlights, Coil options, Waterproof, Mode options all that jazz. Id like to make a purchase I will be happy with AND keep my wife on my good side too :laughing7: I know I'm not going to just hop in the water and find the good stuff. Im ready to learn the new machine and put the hours in. I will proably make a purchace within a few months when the weather is Much better.

If you have used either machine or both let me know your thoughts. Id like to know what other machines you have used also. Looking forward to hearing from you guys and girls.

Thanks and happy hunting!

TheMilDetector.

I have owned the 800 since Mar 2018 and I own the Simplex. If money is no object, then buy the 800 and STAY in the default modes for a long time.

If your budget is stretched with the 800 go with the simplex. Learning the advanced and even normal features on the 800 is a huge leap from the Ace series. I came from 3 years on the AT Pro.

If you find you don't like the Simplex after 2-3 months sell it and get the 800 or even the 600.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheMilDetector -

I haven't forgot about you. I have used the Simplex a few times now in both the field and park but my verdict is still out there. I am still learning the machine as well so I want to be as fair as possible in my review. I will say this my initial thoughts on build quality are very good. The lower shaft has some flex that you do not get in the Deus which has a similar design also the machine is heavier than an ORX for sure but still not heavy heavy.. Very much on par with the weight of the NOX.

I need to dig a hundred targets or more before I can say that the vdi is stable but my initial impression is that it is not as fast or stable as the ORX but still very good. IMO it is a very hard machine to compare to anything I have owned because it is so much better than anything under $400 dollars but also so very close to anything that cost >$500 if not better in many ways. So I keep comparing it to a machine that cost $650 dollars which isn't entirely fair but what else can we do.

Just as a thought 4 years ago I was using the F22 and there not even close in terms of what you get for $300 dollars.

The weather has been really poor the last few days but hopefully I can get out again and compare some shallow <6" targets to see if I can get a feel for what I am digging. I'm so good with the ORX I can usually call my targets and even tell if their is a coin spill or two coins next to each other or a bottle cap..etc..

When I had it at the park the other day I dug several new bottle caps that fooled me for quarters (to be expected) and I also did not dig any nickels but dug several pull tabs which come in the nickel range as well as gold ( I'm ok with this) but it would be nice if I could start to see some signs between these bad targets and good targets. This may be in the form of jumpy vdi, audio, or iron grunt ..I am missing on the new machine.

There are a few things I really like a lot - I think the headphone pairing is excellent and the pinpoint button is also one of the better performing ones I have used.

HH

Eman

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went from the AT Pro to the 800. I then purchased the Simplex and did not like the tone system at all. Tones are find (and adjustable) on the 800. Caution only use the 800 in the standard mode and don't try to monkey with the settings (other than sensitivity) unless you really know what you are doing. If you don't know what you are doing, you will likely detune the 800 and make it about as effective as a a $54 Harbor Freight detector.

If you were not going to submerge your detector I would recommend the Vanquish 540.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to thank everyone for your input on these machines. After all the research Ive done I decide to go with the Nox 800. I'm invested in this hobby for the long run and I felt the need for a detector I can grow with. So I placed the order through bigboyshobbies today. Hope to be swinging the new machine this week. Again thanks everyone, good luck, happy hunting! Ill make a post with my first finds soon.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to thank everyone for your input on these machines. After all the research Ive done I decide to go with the Nox 800. I'm invested in this hobby for the long run and I felt the need for a detector I can grow with. So I placed the order through bigboyshobbies today. Hope to be swinging the new machine this week. Again thanks everyone, good luck, happy hunting! Ill make a post with my first finds soon.
Best of luck with the new detector MD. Please shows us your finds.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck to you with your new machine!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck and Happy Hunting with the new machine! :icon_thumleft:

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had an 800 but sold it after I got an XP Orx. Then I had second thoughts about selling my 800 and bought a 600. I realized I rarely used the 800 out of the default programs so the 600 made sense. Very happy with the Orx and the Nox. Good luck with your 800

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Good luck to you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread