Best way to detect silver rounds in my attic

Yeager84

Mar 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hidden about 100 silver rounds somewhere in my house and can not remember where they are.
What is the best detector to search inside a home? Budget friendly :)
There is about 2 oz of gold and 100oz of silver.
My problem is my cheap detector sounds off on everything. There is a lot of metals in an attic. How do I detect just for silver among aluminum, steel, iron, brass, and copper?
Please help. I was in a plane crash and my memory before the accident is terrible.

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a tough one not sure a detector will help, but if your detector had different tones for the different metals it might work for the silver because silver is a high conductor and will give a high tone, the gold will be more difficult because it will sound like aluminum or iron..

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact theringfinders.com to see who in your area could help and discuss it with them. A detector won't do the job in your house.

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I typed in theringfinders.com and that other linked appeared...

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, I typed in theringfinders.com and that other linked appeared...

You can edit your prior post; you should do that because the link is confusing. Just replace the incorrect post with something like <error - see next post >

OP, I agree that it's unlikely a detector will help you solve this mystery because as you found there is a lot of metal in a home, and even the best detectors (which cost $$$) can't perfectly discriminate between metal types.

I suspect that a manual search by family/friends might be the best approach. I can't imagine that your attic is more than 1-2,000 square feet. I think a few people could manually search that in an afternoon.
Do you remember what the precious metals were stored in? (a box? what color?) 100 silver rounds and 2oz of gold should be about the size of a tissue box.
I'm also assuming your attic has the classic batt insulation; your search party could make one pass through the attic without removing it all and then if the treasure isn't found you could even remove the insulation one bay at a time and look.
Are there other items in the attic? If so, this is a good opportunity to clean up and throw out anything not needed.
And finally: are you 100% sure the coins are still in the attic? Even if you aren't 100% sure, the search is worth it. (Story #1: my son and I were asked to search for a wedding ring on a beach once, so we set up a search grid and spent about 90 minutes searching but didn't find it. The owner came down from the condo and said, "oops - the ring was up in the condo the whole time". My son and I still had fun together, and I got a great picture of our "grid" from up high.)

(Story #2: if by chance you never find the coins, I know the financial cost will be difficult to bear, but please know that someone in the future will find them and you will make them extremely happy. I happened to find silver coins hidden by my home's previous owner in our basement back in 2015; you can check it out in this link: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/466360-found-treasure-hidden-basement.html)

Good luck to you!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can edit your prior post; you should do that because the link is confusing. Just replace the incorrect post with something like <error - see next post >

OP, I agree that it's unlikely a detector will help you solve this mystery because as you found there is a lot of metal in a home, and even the best detectors (which cost $$$) can't perfectly discriminate between metal types.

I suspect that a manual search by family/friends might be the best approach. I can't imagine that your attic is more than 1-2,000 square feet. I think a few people could manually search that in an afternoon.
Do you remember what the precious metals were stored in? (a box? what color?) 100 silver rounds and 2oz of gold should be about the size of a tissue box.
I'm also assuming your attic has the classic batt insulation; your search party could make one pass through the attic without removing it all and then if the treasure isn't found you could even remove the insulation one bay at a time and look.
Are there other items in the attic? If so, this is a good opportunity to clean up and throw out anything not needed.
And finally: are you 100% sure the coins are still in the attic? Even if you aren't 100% sure, the search is worth it. (Story #1: my son and I were asked to search for a wedding ring on a beach once, so we set up a search grid and spent about 90 minutes searching but didn't find it. The owner came down from the condo and said, "oops - the ring was up in the condo the whole time". My son and I still had fun together, and I got a great picture of our "grid" from up high.)

(Story #2: if by chance you never find the coins, I know the financial cost will be difficult to bear, but please know that someone in the future will find them and you will make them extremely happy. I happened to find silver coins hidden by my home's previous owner in our basement back in 2015; you can check it out in this link: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/466360-found-treasure-hidden-basement.html)

Good luck to you!

Thanks Brian!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A manual search with a pinpointer. They have less range than a bigger unit but that would be my best idea. Go one area at a time carefully.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Give me your address, leave the house for a few hours.... I’ll convince you that I found nothing.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .:hello:

OP
OP
Y

Yeager84

Mar 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like a hand search is the only answer. My ignorance told me there would be a silver detector.
Oh bigwavedave thanks for the offer that's very kind of you to offer your time lol.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, you remember you HAD silver and gold, but don't remember where you put them. Are you sure you remember HAVING the silver and gold, correctly?
Good luck, I hope the first memory of actually having it was correct. :laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would be easier to physically check the attic.

If I wanted to use my detector I would have to switch off the main power breaker but the wiring, plumbing and nails would still make it impossible to use inside a room.

If they are "in a lump" balance for the floor joists but then turn the sensitivity to minimum or detune the detector so it only spots large returns.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
if you're one of those people that is a hoarder ? good luck ? the possibilties are endless. otherwise it shouldnt be too hard. are you lucky ? otherwise it could take years. you must have hid it really well. nuthin like a good hidin place. ask your wife if you're married ? women always know better than men ? ask any woman they'll tell ya ? is there a finders fee if i come help ya look ? i'm a zombie i have nuthin better to do ? hell i could jump on a plane and be ther in no time ? planes are flyin empty now days. they'd prolly even let me fly first class ? would i feel like a bigshot. i could tell the airline ? i'd be willin to risk Corona virus if you let me fly first class for free and if i die ? who cares ? think about it ? its a win win situation

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread