Ok...how about your opinion??

CanadianMoose

Greenie
Feb 19, 2005
Newmarket, Ontario
Hi folks......I've been in the market for new M D'er and ...after alot of thought...I narrowed my choices to between 2 Garrets....either an Ace 250 ....or....the GTAx 550.......The Ace is brand new ($330 Canadian)...The 550 is used new condition, used 3 times, $275 Canadian)....

Really leaning towards the 550.....you opinions would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks
Steve

Upvote 0
A

aj_chicago

My opinion is that you are looking at paying too much for the ACE 250. I just bought one new off of eBAY from a reputable detector dealer a month or so ago and $199 was the going price from a couple of different dealers. That's quite a bit less than $330 Canadian. Can't speak to the GTAx 550 as the ACE 250 is my first, but I am truly happy with my decision. I was leaning real hard toward the best White's I could find under $400, but the tales from some of the more experienced folks finally convinced me that the ACE 250 offered some of the best features of the more expensive detectors. I think they were right! It's easy to learn, turn on and go, has notch out discrimination capabilities, separate factory set programs and one you can progam yourself, pinpointing is a breeze and it's ID capabilities are right on most of the time. I've only had it for a month and made a few visits to playgrounds nearby and already have about 1/20th paid for in finds! Good luck. I know what you're going through.

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Howdy there CanadianJeep.
I have used the Ace 250 and a GTAx500 and can tell you ..Get the GTAx 550, for the price you can't pass it up.
The GTAx MDs are darn good.
I use a Fisher CZ70 for most of my hunting unless I'm in a lot of trash then I use my GTAx500 that I've had for years, it really works great for coins, it loves wheat pennies.
And if the 550 has no owners manual with it, being used, then you can pull one up through the Garrett web page.
I have bought and sold a few MD, and have had my GTAx a long time and it will be the one I always have.
HH

Red

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
I went to the bank of canada and did a currency exchange $330 Canadian is $266.82 American. Seems you should be able to get one in the $199.00 range American money. Although you may pay a little more for shipping...

Dudes

Overvoltage

Apr 23, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett GTAx500, Infinium L/S, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting with a GTA500 that I had the electronics upgraded to GTAx550 for 20 years now. I bought it used for $400 in the early 90's. I recently went hunting with a friend that has an AT Pro. He let me use it for a while. It beeped way too much and too many different sounds for me. After he left I went back over the area that I used the AT Pro and found quite a bit of clad that I missed with the Pro. Now it may be to my lack of experience with the AT Pro, but Ill thake my GTA any day.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say the best is the GTAx550 that is the one i would go for..Oh well i just noticed this post is from 2005 and the last time that ..canadianmoose posted was 2007.........i guess i should check things before i post.....

Last edited:

Overvoltage

Apr 23, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess it was an old post, but is still dosent change my post. Ill take the GTAx 550 any day.

Overvoltage

Apr 23, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did notice that there are some very critical people on this forum. I guess you poved it.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
overvoltage, don't be so defensive, but Keppy does have a point. He was trying to help someone thinking it is a new post, not one from 7 years ago. :laughing7:

Oh, by the way... If you think Keppy is opinionated wait to you read anything I type :laughing9: Keppy is a good student of mine, but he has just a little more to go to reach my status :tongue3:

I also noticed that you have 4 posts and half are right here in the old dead letters column. :thumbsup: :tongue3: And that isn't near critical :headbang:

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
overvoltage, don't be so defensive, but Keppy does have a point. He was trying to help someone thinking it is a new post, not one from 7 years ago. :laughing7:

Oh, by the way... If you think Keppy is opinionated wait to you read anything I type :laughing9: Keppy is a good student of mine, but he has just a little more to go to reach my status :tongue3:

I also noticed that you have 4 posts and half are right here in the old dead letters column. :thumbsup: :tongue3: And that isn't near critical :headbang:
I am trying hard to reach your status and i will ........... It's the only way we can keep these guy's here on there toes....... Otherwise every thing just gets dull and boreing................... The same thing over & over & over & over & over & over & over ...........:notworthy:... Look at that i spelled over right .:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread