Ford Model T Key

TheHbeast

Jun 21, 2016
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, please excuse if this post was made incorrectly or in the wrong place, been a long time since I've used this interface. I found a Ford Model T ignition key today and was wondering if anyone has any information on rarity, or why they all seem to be made in the same shape. Mine has a large "74" printed on the back. From research it seems they were numbered 1-74 or so during production. I would also appreciate some tips on how to clean it. Like a barbarian, I usually use chemical cleaning as opposed to electrolysis. but want to be more delicate with this. I found it in Maine, in a vacant lot next to the ocean, there are other steel parts there, possibly car parts. Thanks for any information.

Attachments

• IMG_2972.jpg
    IMG_2972.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 0

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Hey that’s really cool! I have lots of keys and a few that look like that but never really cleaned them up and looked at them closely. Gonna go check my keys.

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lemon juice.

OP
OP
TheHbeast

TheHbeast

Jun 21, 2016
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you, will that do any damage to sensitive metals?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lemon juice can be acidic - ive ruin some nice coins and relics when i was a kid using it
I have found 3 of those - i sold one when i was a kid in the late 70s to a key collector
I still have the other 2 (which i have in my display coffee table
- i just used a little baking soda and soft tooth brush - its old - you really dont want to
put a shine on it

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot of people dont realize
More than 15 million Model T's were sold during its years of production (1908–1927), making it the most popular automobile of the time.
and a fair amount of them survived - there are rare cars with rare keys out there that are more collectible
but still nice conversation piece - nice to put in a display case
way back when i think i got $5 for one i sold - see them now going for $7 and up

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you, will that do any damage to sensitive metals?
Watch the 2-Toes video on removing rust from iron, beer cans, old locks... He's a prospector and treasure hunter. He uses lemon juice and also uses electrolysis to remove rust. He shows how to do it. It looks real easy.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on finding a real cool piece of history !

After finding two Model T keys a few years ago I also did some research.

Not saying what you should do but I cleaned my keys with an Electrolysis Bath and some very fine steel wool - they look great.
Electrolysis is not the best way to clean all types of relics and caution should be used.
From what I've seen, Copper, Brass and Bronze pieces that have been cleaned with Electrolysis will develop a darker patina within a few months.

Model T's were mfg. from 1919 to 1927 and as you can see in the attached photo - the keys were numbered from #51 to #74.

MAH - Finds 10-23-12-F - Ford Model T Ignition Key - Mfg. 1919 To 1927 - Number 52 - 12-18-11-7 .jpg

Good Hunting !

Last edited:

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We should start a thread to see how many people have found Model T keys.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions