Mistaken for a mole

toregano54

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2007
N. IL
Detector(s) used
whites di5900
First, as a new member I would like to thank Jeff of Pa and Sandman and others for welcoming me to TN. Been reading stories for a long time and decided to join in. Thought this might be funny to others besides myself. I rehunted an old balldiamond in back of a torn down school today, the backstop looks to be quite old but I don't really know the age. The area is on the edge of town so is not exactly remote and people are curious since there are not many MD'rs around. I was oblivious to anyone around me while I was furiously ridding the area of poptops and aluminum, headphones on and in a zone.
I caught an older guy intently watching me out of the corner of my eye, so being polite and hoping he wasn't some authority figure I said hello. The first words out of his mouth were " yur makin quite a mess arent ya?" I was sort of mystified because I am pretty meticulous about not leaving any signs that I have dug any holes. I said "I'm not sure what you mean ." He points to some mounds of dirt nearby and tells me that I better not let the cops see that. Now I'm thinking he's a comedian, but he's serious. So I said " I think you have me confused with a mole." He did a double take at the dirt mounds and then laughed and apologized profusely and started asking lots of questions about detecting. I had just found a 1919 wheatie and he was pretty impressed by that. He said he was going to get a detector and I encouraged him. He hung around and watched me for a while. If anyone reading this doesn't know the damage a mole can do, just imagine your yard looking like a bowling ball ran just under the sod for extended lengths then disappeared and reappeared somewhere else with sometimes large piles of dirt scattered here and there. I guess the moral of the story is that even a mole can be responsible for bringing new people into the hobby. I didn't show the guy the pocketful of junk I had. Didn't want to discourage him too soon.

Upvote 0

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
you mean this guy?... ;D Moley, moley, moley, moley, moley!

Attachments

• mole.jpg
    mole.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 6,851
B

BIG61AL

how about people just minding thier own business and leaving us alone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread