Gloves, safety and stupidity...

Fivey

Apr 7, 2014
Midwest
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy of mine and I went to a favorite metal detecting spot a couple days ago. (In separate cars and following responsible social distancing so we don’t get anyone sick). He’s older but kind of a tough guy - a Marine and Vietnam Vet. We used to detect for hours. It’s less nowadays. We were stupid but we learned. We never used to bring water with us (..but enjoy some cold beer after.). We were stupid but we learned. We’d both talked about gloves. Can’t count how many times I’ve dug into the ground and found glass or a nasty knife or whatever and said “Dang, we should be wearing gloves”. Then moved on to the next signal.

So, this spot is hidden in plain view. It’s a tangled mess of woods bordered by railroad tracks. You’d never know it was a farm 60+ years ago. It’s within a mile from our homes in suburbia. It’s safe. We’d know most people here. There’s no criminals. Nobody would ever come here as the border is a run off swamp. Good to detect in early spring. Buggy and overgrown the rest of the time. But we are super familiar with the spot.

My friend was digging and said “oh crap”. I figured he hit something really good. “No, really bad” he said. Sure enough, he was right. Flipping hypodermic needle. A huge one. Dirt encrusted. Probably used on a horse from the farm that was once here. But who knows?
I suppose the spot would be great for a homeless drug addict. Someone could shoot up and sleep in the woods. Nobody would bother them. Law-enforcement would never come here. We both looked at it. Then each other. ...and put on gloves.

What’s so bad about a hypodermic needle?
Tetanus
Hepatitis b c
Tuberculosis
Mersa
Streptococcus
And other infections

… Not to mention trying to get treated in light of the current medical emergency.
So don’t be stupid. Learn from our mistakes.
Wear gloves!

Attachments

• 9B46D5C9-129D-4836-BA8E-D98885084DFE.jpeg
    9B46D5C9-129D-4836-BA8E-D98885084DFE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 157
Upvote 1

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes.... Don't know if gloves would have worked on that sticker!!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A cutting tool need only be harder than what is being cut.
Gloves offer a level of protection.
Meaning , gloves only offer a certain level of protection.
So says the gloves I've discarded from being damaged recovering detecting finds!

OP
OP
F

Fivey

Apr 7, 2014
Midwest
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True. I guess the rubberized ones might be slightly better. If you have advice I’m interested.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally don't stick my hands IN the ground. I use an oversized digging tool, flip the target out, move it around until I see it, then grab it. I have no idea why I don't do an aquachigger and just jump in with my hands. Never did. Maybe because I almost NEVER kneel on the ground (can't get back up.)

OP
OP
F

Fivey

Apr 7, 2014
Midwest
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally don't stick my hands IN the ground. I use an oversized digging tool, flip the target out, move it around until I see it, then grab it. I have no idea why I don't do an aquachigger and just jump in with my hands. Never did. Maybe because I almost NEVER kneel on the ground (can't get back up.)

I suppose you’re right and doing it the right way. It’ll be hard enough to get used to wearing gloves! The pic doesn’t do that thing justice; it was big and nasty looking. Made an impression.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Based on the length and gauge of that needle, it’s not designed to be inserted into a person’s body. It is either for the transfer of large volumes of fluids from one place to another, ot it could even be used in the manufacturing industry i.e. for inserting glue into tight places. None the less, if you got poked by it, it would hurt like a dickens!

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As a retired Law Enforcement officer, the only type of glove that gives a person a fighting chance at avoiding a "poke" from a needle or a "slice" from a blade, are Kevlar Lined Leather gloves. Those aren't cheap, and surely you wouldn't want to ruin them scooping out dirt from our digs.
I'll venture a bet here, that most people think that the cops just wear gloves to look 'tough'. But they actually wear them because they are afraid. Afraid mostly to get poked by a needle while either patting a subject for weapons, searching a vehicle or house (or anything), or wrestling a subject who is resisting arrest.
I actually wore my Kevlar gloves probably 90% of every shift I worked, because there are plenty of times that you just don't have time to say "hold on, I need to glove up".

As for detecting, I Glove Up Every time, from the time the gear comes out of the car, until the time the gear goes back in at the end of the day. The rubber palm/finger gloves still won't stop a poke from that or any needle, but they will resist a sharp piece of glass or metal!

Happy hunting Ya'll

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other

As a retired Law Enforcement officer, the only type of glove that gives a person a fighting chance at avoiding a "poke" from a needle or a "slice" from a blade, are Kevlar Lined Leather gloves. Those aren't cheap, and surely you wouldn't want to ruin them scooping out dirt from our digs.
I'll venture a bet here, that most people think that the cops just wear gloves to look 'tough'. But they actually wear them because they are afraid. Afraid mostly to get poked by a needle while either patting a subject for weapons, searching a vehicle or house (or anything), or wrestling a subject who is resisting arrest.
I actually wore my Kevlar gloves probably 90% of every shift I worked, because there are plenty of times that you just don't have time to say "hold on, I need to glove up".

As for detecting, I Glove Up Every time, from the time the gear comes out of the car, until the time the gear goes back in at the end of the day. The rubber palm/finger gloves still won't stop a poke from that or any needle, but they will resist a sharp piece of glass or metal!

Happy hunting Ya'll

Well said!
dts

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Slightly different story but same theme: I was renting a tile saw from Home Depot a few years ago and the guy was trying to show me how to fold it down. When I tried I released it too quickly and somehow it crushed my pinkie finger at the first knuckle. Luckily I had put on my work gloves Before working with the equipment. It was still gushing blood into the glove, and when I got to the ER it needed some stitches (3 or 4?) to put it back together. But the doctor at the ER had said that if I hadn't been wearing gloves I might have lost the tip of the finger.
I try to wear gloves as often as I can.
Wear gloves.

(PS funny side note: the guy at Home Depot wanted me to stay at the store and fill out paperwork on the injury. At first I was in shock and went along with him, but as the questions got stupid I finally told him "dude this is serious and my finger is gushing blood; I need to go to the ER" and I left. He never offered me a first aid kit or a ride to the hospital. He did hand me paper towels though....)

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Classic Hill Mine, Siskiyou County
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Bazooka Gold Trap Super Prospector
Fossicker Production Pan
Proline 3in Dredge/Highbanker Combo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work at a recycling center. I have nearly been stuck at least 6 separate times in the year + I have been there. Kevlar gloves. The type cops use. Good for dexterity and needles.

OP
OP
F

Fivey

Apr 7, 2014
Midwest
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll look for some. Thanks.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

Happy hunting Ya'll

Great advice!

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Happy hunting Ya'll
Thank you for reminding all about safety!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread