Terrible plugs! I really want to strangle these idiots. - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Terrible plugs! I really want to strangle these idiots.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    3698 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I always carry a gallon plastic bag when hunting yards, parks, schools, etc. I don't open the bag, I lay it flat on the ground and put plug and more importantly any dirt I have to dig out below the plug on the plastic. After recovering target it is so easy to just pick up the plastic and pour all the dirt back into the hole and re-seat the plug. Never any dirt all around the hole on or in the grass. It costs a whole plastic bag and works well. I have seen a few use a small towel but the dirt slides more easily off the plastic.

I too have had plugs removed later by animals, caught some squirrels doing it.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    Apr 2007
    Missouri
    AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Minelab equinox 800/ Deus XP
    148 times
    Relic Hunting
    I was taught as a young boy to dig a U shape and then place it firmly back, try not to give a hint that that anything was violated....Fast forward in time ....I am now in therapy recovering after watching episodes of Oak Island.
    civilman1, SD51, AARC and 2 others like this.
    Have detector, Will Travel RJW

us
    May 2019
    Flawda
    Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    2281 times
    I work at my plugs but as mentioned before there are reasons that some digs look really bad besides poor detector work. This time of year all the turtles are laying eggs. All the predators are looking for the eggs. The turtles wander out of the low lying areas sometimes to large open areas in the sun. Around here any clearing and even dirt roads.(probably something to do with warmth while the eggs are incubating) You can dig a nice plug today and come back tomorrow and find it dug up. I started paying attention to that years ago because I knew it wasn't me leaving them like that. When that coon, possum, or armadillo or whatever other creature it is at the time smells, sees, or senses fresh dirt, they think it's a new turtle nest and dig it up to eat. Let me tell you, they don't feel like covering their holes up after digging an empty one. I know it's a problem with some uncaring people, but that's not always the case.
    SD51 and RustyGold like this.

Sep 2016
    GTA East, Ontario
    AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
    1463 times
    Metal Detecting
    Foxes will do this too. I do a pretty decent job of cutting the plug but one night I came back to several of my plugs being flipped back after the previous nights hunt where the foxes had been buzzing me. Luckily it was the next day and I could fix. Two things Iíve noticed helps. 1. Hunting in the morning. I figure the smell must diminish. 2. Trying to avoid hunting grass once the ground gets dry. Wetter plugs seal better of course.
    SD51 likes this.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35, Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil
    1832 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    A few years back, I detected an old yard and dug quite a few holes. I filled everything perfectly. The following day I went back to the same yard. Half of my holes were open. Since I remove/control wildlife for a living, I knew right away that a skunk had opened up all those holes. I caught him that night and took him away.
    Just saying, sometimes its not what you think.
    This also happened in my back yard - skunks will redig my holes and throw the plugs to the side as they look for grubs. Guess I should treat my 2 acres for grubs...or just shoot the skunks.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

us
    May 2018
    Athens Georgia
    Garret AT pro
    906 times
    Metal Detecting
    I ran into a fellow detectorist at a spot a few years ago, he was complaining about how someone wasn't filling their holes. It was obvious armadillo work, even the worst digger in the world doesn't spray fans of dirt out 2 feet from the hole. It's amazing how typically the nicer the lawn/dirt, the easier it is to plug properly.
    RustyGold likes this.
    The universe rewards the observant.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    40249 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Yep there are alot of them out there.
    RustyGold, Aeds151 and SD51 like this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 89 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Jan 2019
    NC
    EQ800, T2SE
    297 times
    Metal Detecting
    I seen this last weekend in a place I have hunted many times. It really pissed me off because I'm afraid people will think I did it!
    The moron dug holes, flipped the dirt out on top of the ground and left it. Wish I could have planted my sampson shovel ball end against his forehead.
    RustyGold and SD51 like this.

Apr 2007
    Southern MN
    AT Pro
    144 times
    99% of the plugs I dig are as close to invisible as you can get. But that 1% pisses me off because that will be the one some busy-body finds and has to take pics of and post on the net.
    SD51 likes this.

May 2020
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DigToChina View Post
    Foxes will do this too. I do a pretty decent job of cutting the plug but one night I came back to several of my plugs being flipped back after the previous nights hunt where the foxes had been buzzing me. Luckily it was the next day and I could fix. Two things Iíve noticed helps. 1. Hunting in the morning. I figure the smell must diminish. 2. Trying to avoid hunting grass once the ground gets dry. Wetter plugs seal better of course.
    One of the more popular trapping sets for carnivores is the dirt hole set. Not so much for cats, but canids and mustelids are extremely attracted to disturbed earth.

ďWell Iíd say it to your back, but my car only has half a tank of gas!Ē Al Bundy during a heated discussion with a disruptive customer.

Dec 2017
    The Boot
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Minelab Equinox 600
    316 times
    Metal Detecting
    Itís one thing finding a patch of terrible plugs at a park, but itís even worse when you scan a few only to discover a beer can, or other piece of trash, has been purposely left at the bottom of the plug.

On the other hand itís a great feeling when you find a nice target adjacent to one. Just the other day I found a merc dime a mere foot or so from someone elseís dried up, moon crater plug!
    SD51 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links