Need help deciding what kind of metal detector to get.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By xr7ator
  • 2 Post By ColonelDan
  • 1 Post By Greybear

Thread: Need help deciding what kind of metal detector to get.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2020
    Placer county, CA
    Minelab GM1000
    51 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Need help deciding what kind of metal detector to get.

I've never had a detector before, and am planning on getting one (possibly very soon). I want one that I can detect nuggets with, but also would like to be able to find coins and relics.

I've looked at the Fischer Gold Bug, and it seems pretty decent for what I need, but just wanted to know if there are any others that I should consider that would be in the same price range.

I also want to know if it is Ok to get a used one, or if I should just get one brand new.

us
    Oct 2016
    Vermont
    Garrett ACE 400, ProPointer AT
    1859 times
    Metal Detecting
    AT Gold? Never owned one but as I understand they are pretty good gold and relic machines.
    Notable 2020 Finds:

Coins: 1863, 1865, 1874, 1897 indian head pennies, 2 Connecticut coppers, 1 wiped colonial copper (suspected CT copper), Georgivs Triumpho 1783 copper, 1853 Trime, 1957 Rosie Dime

Relics: Brass batwing buckle, small pewter spoon bowl, ornate shoe buckle frame fragment, crotal bell, lots of 18th -19th century flat buttons of varying sizes & metal types

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    4606 times
    Minelab EQ800.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9058 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoesnsocks View Post
    I've never had a detector before, and am planning on getting one (possibly very soon). I want one that I can detect nuggets with, but also would like to be able to find coins and relics.

I've looked at the Fischer Gold Bug, and it seems pretty decent for what I need, but just wanted to know if there are any others that I should consider that would be in the same price range.

I also want to know if it is Ok to get a used one, or if I should just get one brand new.
    If you can find a good used machine, that would certainly save you some money. The trick is finding a used machine that you KNOW is good. Not having had a detector before, you may not be able to assess a machine's condition. If you choose that route, I would suggest that you buy one from a local detector shop where they can test it and show you how it operates, or by buying one from one of our sponsors here on Tnet where you can at least get a guaranty. As for a new machine, for what you want to detect, you would be best to get a multiuse machine. The Gold Bug is a good nugget machine, but, not a particularly good coin machine. If you can afford it, the Equinox is a much better all-around detector, and waterproof too. If that is above your budget, look at the Vanquish series.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Feb 2020
    Placer county, CA
    Minelab GM1000
    51 times
    Thanks y'all. I will consider these other detectors. The AT gold sounds pretty nice. I'm starting to think about going with one that is water proof. I want to be able to use it in creeks and also want it to be easy to wash since it's going to inevitably get poison oak on it.

Is the EQ800 friendly for a beginner? I don't mind the idea of learning how to use a higher end detector, but also don't want something that's going to be too complicated.

The EQ800 is probably about as expensive as I'll go, but would like to even spend less on the AT gold if it will be good enough for what I need.

Charter Member
    us
    Colonel

Jan 2014
    Central Florida
    EQX 800; CTX 3030; Excal II
    1368 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The AT Gold has been around quite awhile but it's still a single frequency machine. The EQX 800 is much more current technology and multi frequency. Additionally it has two dedicated modes for gold and can pick up really small gold! The answer to me is clear...EQX 800.

Just the view from my foxhole....
    cudamark and Shoesnsocks like this.
    ~The Challenge: Big Beach; Little Coil; Tiny Targets~

~"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~ Leonardo da Vinci

~Pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. Its up to you to pick the best seat~

us
    Rawhide

Nov 2010
    SouthWestern USA
    Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
    2154 times
    There are so many and they all make wonderful claims. What ever you get learn it well. You will need two detectors as the freq for coins and freq needed for nuggets is just to wide a gap. If you are on the gold, get the gold bug and find gold then buy a coin machine. Good luck.

us
    fixer

Dec 2019
    Northern Virginia
    Whites 6000D Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter 202, Nokta Simplex+with SP24
    142 times
    Metal Detecting
    the Nokta Simplex hits waaaay above its weight class regarding performance, features and price. Hear me now, ... believe me later! The Simplex fits your 'target' requirement better than a glove.

Jul 2013
    1607 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    XP Orx.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9058 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    There are so many and they all make wonderful claims. What ever you get learn it well. You will need two detectors as the freq for coins and freq needed for nuggets is just to wide a gap. If you are on the gold, get the gold bug and find gold then buy a coin machine. Good luck.
    The Equinox does both quite well. Since you own one, you probably already know that.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Grey Bear

Dec 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    Whites XLT and Whites GMT
    52 times
    I have owned a AT Gold for about 7 years. They will detect gold as the name imply and are excellent at coin and relic hunting. The down side is the are not good near salt water if that is in your plan. They also will not find real small pucker nuggets. It is a compromise detector for gold. In truth there is no one good detector that will find both small gold and coin/relics with all the features needed for both. For under $1000 I can recommend either the AT Gold as I still use that detector along with my Minelab CTX 3030 and the second machine Id recommend is the Minelab Equinox 800. The 800 seems to be a bit more sensitive to small gold than the AT Gold and is an excellent detector for coin and relics as well. It is also better at the salt water beaches as it will handle the minerals in the salt water better.
    1942 merc likes this.

us
    Feb 2020
    Placer county, CA
    Minelab GM1000
    51 times
    Well, I just ended up ordering the AT gold. The EQ800 was just a little out of my price range, and I really want to get out there and start looking around, and after doing my research I decided that I can still find some exciting treasures with the At Gold, even if it's not quite as good as the Equinox.

Thanks to everyone for helping me make the decision.

us
    Hunter

Sep 2020
    New York
    Fisher F75
    5 times
    I am using garrett ace 400 for last one and half month and it is performing quite well with some minor issue.
    Last edited by rayan; Sep 24, 2020 at 07:02 AM.

us
    Darrell

Nov 2019
    Alaska
    Bounty Hunter,Equinox 800
    I have/was in the market for a detector after long and hard thoughts reading listing and watching youtube videos i finely bought the Equinox 800 i thought about the 600 but i too wanted to be able to find gold/nuggets so i went with the 800.
    Hope this helps
    907_Digger

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links