Need help deciding what kind of metal detector to get.

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had a detector before, and am planning on getting one (possibly very soon). I want one that I can detect nuggets with, but also would like to be able to find coins and relics.

I've looked at the Fischer Gold Bug, and it seems pretty decent for what I need, but just wanted to know if there are any others that I should consider that would be in the same price range.

I also want to know if it is Ok to get a used one, or if I should just get one brand new.

Upvote 0

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Gold? Never owned one but as I understand they are pretty good gold and relic machines.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had a detector before, and am planning on getting one (possibly very soon). I want one that I can detect nuggets with, but also would like to be able to find coins and relics.

I've looked at the Fischer Gold Bug, and it seems pretty decent for what I need, but just wanted to know if there are any others that I should consider that would be in the same price range.

I also want to know if it is Ok to get a used one, or if I should just get one brand new.

If you can find a good used machine, that would certainly save you some money. The trick is finding a used machine that you KNOW is good. Not having had a detector before, you may not be able to assess a machine's condition. If you choose that route, I would suggest that you buy one from a local detector shop where they can test it and show you how it operates, or by buying one from one of our sponsors here on Tnet where you can at least get a guaranty. As for a new machine, for what you want to detect, you would be best to get a multiuse machine. The Gold Bug is a good nugget machine, but, not a particularly good coin machine. If you can afford it, the Equinox is a much better all-around detector, and waterproof too. If that is above your budget, look at the Vanquish series.

OP
OP
S

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks y'all. I will consider these other detectors. The AT gold sounds pretty nice. I'm starting to think about going with one that is water proof. I want to be able to use it in creeks and also want it to be easy to wash since it's going to inevitably get poison oak on it.

Is the EQ800 friendly for a beginner? I don't mind the idea of learning how to use a higher end detector, but also don't want something that's going to be too complicated.

The EQ800 is probably about as expensive as I'll go, but would like to even spend less on the AT gold if it will be good enough for what I need.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The AT Gold has been around quite awhile but it's still a single frequency machine. The EQX 800 is much more current technology and multi frequency. Additionally it has two dedicated modes for gold and can pick up really small gold! The answer to me is clear...EQX 800.

Just the view from my foxhole....

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are so many and they all make wonderful claims. What ever you get learn it well. You will need two detectors as the freq for coins and freq needed for nuggets is just to wide a gap. If you are on the gold, get the gold bug and find gold then buy a coin machine. Good luck.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the Nokta Simplex hits waaaay above its weight class regarding performance, features and price. Hear me now, ... believe me later! The Simplex fits your 'target' requirement better than a glove.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are so many and they all make wonderful claims. What ever you get learn it well. You will need two detectors as the freq for coins and freq needed for nuggets is just to wide a gap. If you are on the gold, get the gold bug and find gold then buy a coin machine. Good luck.

The Equinox does both quite well. Since you own one, you probably already know that. :laughing7:

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned a AT Gold for about 7 years. They will detect gold as the name imply and are excellent at coin and relic hunting. The down side is the are not good near salt water if that is in your plan. They also will not find real small pucker nuggets. It is a compromise detector for gold. In truth there is no one good detector that will find both small gold and coin/relics with all the features needed for both. For under $1000 I can recommend either the AT Gold as I still use that detector along with my Minelab CTX 3030 and the second machine I’d recommend is the Minelab Equinox 800. The 800 seems to be a bit more sensitive to small gold than the AT Gold and is an excellent detector for coin and relics as well. It is also better at the salt water beaches as it will handle the minerals in the salt water better.

OP
OP
S

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I just ended up ordering the AT gold. The EQ800 was just a little out of my price range, and I really want to get out there and start looking around, and after doing my research I decided that I can still find some exciting treasures with the At Gold, even if it's not quite as good as the Equinox.

Thanks to everyone for helping me make the decision.

rayan

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2020
New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am using garrett ace 400 for last one and half month and it is performing quite well with some minor issue.

Last edited:

907_Digger

Greenie
Nov 12, 2019
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter,Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have/was in the market for a detector after long and hard thoughts reading listing and watching youtube videos i finely bought the Equinox 800 i thought about the 600 but i too wanted to be able to find gold/nuggets so i went with the 800.
Hope this helps
907_Digger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions