Vanquish iron issues

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I’m thinking about getting a 540 but after seeing and reading reviews it has a hard time discriminating iron. Is this true or false? This would be for my father who is wanting to get back into detecting. He still has a spectrum XLT. just looking for a lighter easy to use machine he is in his 70s now. I wa really getting ready to pull the trigger on one till this issue came up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a 540, so someone else will have to address that, but IF you're taking votes, I vote the Simplex+. I have had mine for less than a month and it is awesome! I also watched tons of videos and went from the 540, to the 600, to the Simplex and back to the 540, before I pulled the trigger on the Simplex. Just my 2 cents...

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now have both the Simplex and the Vanquish. The iron disc on the Vanquish is awesome. Just make sure High iron disc is on and you are good to go.

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it back. My first hunt was a fluke, this thing is struggling with iron. Maybe its me, but my simplex does not have this issue. This Vanquish squeals on all iron bigger than an inch.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If any consolation, my Minelab Equinox 800 goes wild with large pieces of iron but it is a killer on small gold and ear rings.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you live in normal soil conditions any detector with iron tone volume control will be fine. If your soil is moderate to mineralized the Vanquish will work just great. Even if you don't have bad dirt, the Vanquish will tell you there is an iron target under the coil if you just check it with the horseshoe button. I have yet to dig a piece of iron at any depth with the Vanquish that I wasn't at least half expecting. It will give clear indications and an iron low tone on any object with iron/steel in it once you learn it.

Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread