Need some advice about what metal detector I should get?

Ga_Farm_Hunter

May 7, 2017
Carrollton, GA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Garret AT MAX
Garrett ATX
Minelab GTX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This seemed like one of the best places to ask this question. I will be attending a DIV (Digging in Virginia Hunt) around November sometime so I have time to get another detector and start familiarizing myself with it. I have been told by a friend of mine who uses a GPX 4500 and through over research that a Pulse Indicator machine is basically a mandatory requirement if you want to have a real chance at finding targets out there. I currently am using a Garrett AT Pro (stock) and am having a very difficult time finding civil war relics I believe because they are too deep for my VLF machine. The friend I go and hunt with is able to pick buttons and bullets out of the same field as me and even lets me scan over signals he believes are bullets to see if my machine is able to detect it. When he has let me do that I have not been able to detect the bullets 9/10 times. Approximately the bullets he is digging is about 6-8 inches down. My AT pro ground balances around 79-83 and from what I've read that is pretty hot soil so regardless VLF machines work pretty poorly there. So the bottom line is I need to get another machine which is Pulse Induction and what I'd use it for is going to be digging civil war relics, old house sites, and beach hunting. I rarely hunt around parks because of how trashy it is but I can still use my AT Pro for that. I have done some research and think I really want to go with a Garrett ATX for a few reasons. The first reason is I don't want to invest a lot of money into a machine and not have it work for overall what I need to do. Secondly, It is waterproof up to 10 feet deep so it will be perfect for creeks and beaches. Thirdly, I like the simplicity and design of the interface for the ATX when compared to the GTX series. The friend I mentioned before thinks I should get a GTX machine like his because they are the best for the soil although they have a lot of downsides that would make it more unconventional for me such as the lack of waterproofing and additional expense. I also have a chance to pick the ATX used for approximately 1200 and it comes with various accessories and has only been used about 3 times for gold prospecting in Idaho. I would love to hear some ideas and opinions on this and will try to respond back quickly.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to recommend anything without knowing what the exact soil composition is. Are there other people hunting that area successfully besides your friend? What are they using? If the problem is iron, a Deus works pretty good in that situation. For a less expensive PI machine, how does a White's TDI do? I found the Garrett ATX a bit awkward to use, very heavy, and not particularly well balanced. The GPX series Minelabs are very good for mineralized soil and may be your only option. They're kinda heavy too though compared to some other machines, but, lighter than the ATX and better balanced. Maybe still want a sling.

OP
OP
Ga_Farm_Hunter

Ga_Farm_Hunter

May 7, 2017
Carrollton, GA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Garret AT MAX
Garrett ATX
Minelab GTX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A shoulder sling is included in the package and to our knowledge, no other hunters have hunted the location before. Iron is not a major problem there and only a few areas are trashy because of it being a horse farm, we find a lot of horseshoes and tack. So the main problem really is the depth and the soil we primarily hunt in is moderately rocky, with some pretty hard soil. The AT Pro ground balance is usually around 80 if that's any indicator. I have another friend who hunts the same field sometimes with a AT max and he also has trouble finding deep targets such as the ones my friend with the GPX finds. His AT Max has trouble picking up bullets around the 6-8 inch mark in that soil.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’d go with the GPX. I found the ATX poorly made/designed IMHO. I bet the XP Deus would be good for that area but you’d have to ask people who go to DIV what they use. Good luck

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're looking for deeper targets maybe consider getting a different coil for your PRO.

OP
OP
Ga_Farm_Hunter

Ga_Farm_Hunter

May 7, 2017
Carrollton, GA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Garret AT MAX
Garrett ATX
Minelab GTX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I might eventually do that but a VLF machine will not work for that Culpeper soil I've been told so the Pro will become my machine for parks now.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPX 4000, 4500 or 5000 are excellent pulse induction gold prospecting and deep relic metal detectors. They are somewhat modular so you can carry the battery in the shoulder harness, and you can easily change coils. They are fairly heavy but even me, at 64 years old have swung one all day several times in the last few years

The Garrett ATX seriously needs a makeover. It is a good nugget detector. Never tried it for relic hunting. It is super heavy, very awkward to swing, has a fair to poor repair record and changing coils................Not.

The TDI SL is a very good lightweight detector. It will not go as deep as the GPX series and it really needs to have a battery voltage modification to make it as deep as possible. 11" coils are about as big as I would go so maybe 13 to 15" on a three ringer.

If you can find a TDI Pro that would be a much better option than a TDI SL even though the Pro is no longer being manufactured.

Jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ga_Farm_Hunter

Ga_Farm_Hunter

May 7, 2017
Carrollton, GA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Garret AT MAX
Garrett ATX
Minelab GTX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know the ATX is really heavy and quite bulky and when I went on the DIV forum they said there like 3 most common detectors out there are the 3. White TDI, 2. Garrett ATX, and then 1. GPX series. They say the ATX is good for that area but the GPX is better and has more features. It although has a lot of downsides I don't like.

OP
OP
Ga_Farm_Hunter

Ga_Farm_Hunter

May 7, 2017
Carrollton, GA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Garret AT MAX
Garrett ATX
Minelab GTX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would honestly get a GPX series but the only things that are really holding me back are the lack of waterproofing since I want to use it on the beach and in creeks and the increased cost difference between it and the ATX. For the Garrett I hopefully should never have to repair it, I don't plan on switching coils, and a shoulder sling comes with it so that might help with the awkward swinging and how heavy it is. The ATX also becomes compact and fits into its carrying case which will be important when I plan on detecting in Germany this or next coming summer.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you already have your mind made up on getting the ATX. There's probably a reason that a $2000+ detector is being sold for $1200. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save some money and buy some larger coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions