Minelab GO-FIND 66 Metal Detector, good deal?

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok,

I know the Minelab GO-FIND 66 Metal Detector isn't the best clearly, BUT, I can't afford an AT-Pro and need something that can use in low water levels. It says it has a waterproof search coil.

Anyone have experience with this model? And being as I live in Florida, would it be ok to use knee deep max in lakes, Ocean etc if only the coil and "rod" submerged?

Likely, it will mostly be used on land for old ghost towns which many private owners that aren't on the actual sites, so I can try my luck with permission there as well of other spots I know to be good.

Upvote 0

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Go-Finds are OK detectors for a few minutes of hunting on a beach. They can handle damp sand. They do not handle underwater or moving water well.
Although they look cool, fold up nicely and have some decent features, they have very slow recovery speed from target to target, do not handle iron well and have a ridiculous display.

You would do much better with the new Minelab Vanquish. The 540 has great features, will handle salt water beaches and shallow surf (don't submerge the control box=only the coil is waterproof) and has excellent target ID. The 440 is the real sleeper and is very affordable. The 340 is very simple but works great. All three are very adjustable for any sized person. They are excellent detectors compared to the just OK Go-Finds.

I have owned both models so I am speaking from experience. I gave my Go-Find to a young relative and own a 340 and 440 Vanquish currently for use as loaner and for other relatives. They are easy to swing, easy to learn and detect extremely well.

Jeff

apcomputing

Greenie
Jul 3, 2019
dallas
Detector(s) used
delta, at4, gti1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok,

I know the Minelab GO-FIND 66 Metal Detector isn't the best clearly, BUT, I can't afford an AT-Pro and need something that can use in low water levels. It says it has a waterproof search coil.

Anyone have experience with this model? And being as I live in Florida, would it be ok to use knee deep max in lakes, Ocean etc if only the coil and "rod" submerged?

Likely, it will mostly be used on land for old ghost towns which many private owners that aren't on the actual sites, so I can try my luck with permission there as well of other spots I know to be good.
Very long post follows

Hello EagleEye. I don't have any experience with this particular model, but I have been involved in this hobby for 35+ years. Here's a few points I'd like to bring up:

I see that you say that the Minelab "isn't the best, clearly." Whether or not that statement is true, it indicates that you are already considering a compromise. There may be no need to compromise.

From what I have been able to research, I can't find much to indicate that the Go Find-66 is much of a compromise. The good reviews state facts in support of the machine, while the negative reviews mostly consist of "It sucks" , with not much to say about why it sucks.

(That tells me a lot, right there.)

The machine seems to be rather new to the market. Time will tell more.

The published specifications indicate a pretty capable machine, for the price. I have seen great sounding machines fail in the market, sometiles for cause, other times not so much.

I once spent a lot of money on a Cobra metal detector from Kellyco. ($700.00 in 1986) I couldn't get it right, and assumed I got burned on a machine that was new for the market. Kellyco was gracious, and allowed me full credit for a Garrett beach hunter. I had many of the same problems with it, then suddenly it started working right, and I still have that machine.

Later, I realized that my move away from St Thomas in the Virgin Islands, and thusly salt water was what "fixed" the Garrett detector. I also realized that the Cobra was likely suffering from the same malady.

I find myself now searching Fleeybay for a Cobra. (Been looking for about 7 years now. But, as it failed in the market, they are scarce.)

Moral: The Go-Find might be a great machine, and still fail. In that case, do you want to be holding the bag when repair and parts become hard to find? (What about 36 years from now?) :-)

Any modern dectector will be waterproof up to the housing. The issue for me, and you was and is salt water.

I don't see anything in the GoFind-66's to indicate a manual ground balance. Without that, you are not going to have any fun in salt water.

But there are some established models that do include a manual ground balance.

Another note: Ground balance will only get you so far in salt water. To totally eliminate it, you will need to go to a pulse-induction unit, which is gonna kill your budget. (35 year old Garret Sea hunters are selling for as much, or more that their sold new price.)

If salt water is your thing, and you don't 700-800-$ Looks for something that says "automatic ground balance, or something of the sort, instead of a "pre-set ground balance." I use a Technetics 8000. It's "Ground Grab" feature does an acceptable job in the quartz fields of Arkansas. I have never tried it in salt water.

If your vision of beach hunting is dry sand, then any detector in your price range will do an acceptable job. (Even the Go Find-66.)

OP
OP
E

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you both for the great replies and info! I know Minelab are GREAT detectors, but one at the low end of the scale and low price (go find 66) was my concern, especially given I want to be able to use the coil and a few inches higher in water. Thanks again for the help guys!

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to be blunt here, do not buy a Go Find 66 without checking out the Minelab Vanquish and the Simplex first. I am not going to rate the Go Find 66 as a glorified toy but it is close. The Vanquish and Simplex are real detectors that detect way above their price-point. The GoFind detects way below its price point in my opinion.

Jeff

OP
OP
E

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you both for the great replies and info! I know Minelab are GREAT detectors, but one at the low end of the scale and low price (go find 66) was my concern, especially given I want to be able to use the coil and a few inches higher in water. Thanks again for the help guys!

Ok, I just checked out that Nokta Makro simplex+. Never heard of that machine, but holy crap!! That is JUST what I am looking for and seems very well built and features for the price. Thank you!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your wasting your money to buy GoFind for salt water beach if your going to use it in the water or wet sand, it is a single freq detector. It is okay on land and wet sand at lake or very shallow water, but if you drop it in water you have a problem. Gofind is more for back packing where you might want to do a little detecting but don't want to pack a full size detector.

Last edited:

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my simplex

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread