Searching for a Buried Cannon in Pakistan - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Searching for a Buried Cannon in Pakistan

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    70569 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamzama View Post
    Dear EccentricinTexas...thanks for putting me onto the Resistivity Survey Meter. Useful device and i will need it as the initial area is 3x6 km. and bigger if i dont locate the cannon in this rectangle. Regarding the location of the river channel 260 years ago when the cannon was lost, i am putting in a request with a govt space org for a Satellite SAR image. which may show the old channel. Will certainly post pics if i hit jackpot.......... zamzama
    Why not LIDAR... ?

IT WILL show the old river channels.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Apr 2020
    9 times
    Thanks AARC..........I did not know about a technology called LIDAR but have now read up on it a little. Thanks for telling me. There is so much i am learning from you and the other members taking an interest in my project. i dont think LIDAR technology is avail in Pakistan and i suspect that a drone mounted device (if it can do what we require) with the right type of sensor would cost a fair amount.
    AARC likes this.

Apr 2020
    9 times
    Excellent........ thanks so much ..... as they say a look is worth a thousand words

Apr 2020
    9 times
    Hey TheGreenBoy...thanks a million for sharing your method with me. it sounds very logical and methodical. i am attaching a pic of the area which as you can see is flat and cultivated with little chances of getting false signals or small items. Sadly i dont think i would be able to find a company in Pakistan for a scan report but will look. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wheat fields.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	1827199
    chub likes this.

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH
    233 times
    Beautifoul place, perfect terrain, hit it witha a PI
    Zamzama likes this.

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH
    233 times
    Have you decided about your tool of choice yet?

Apr 2020
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBoy View Post
    Have you decided about your tool of choice yet?
    HEY Geenboy...........thanks for asking .........sorry for my late reply but i was doing some research on the project and letting things sink in........ i think i will go for the Deep seeking PI with large 1m x 1m frame coil probably a pulse star II, and a smaller 18 inch coil
    TheGreenBoy likes this.

Apr 2020
    9 times
    He GreenBoy…….. you have said in this post that when searching with a large coil, if there are many small targets within a designated area, they can fake a signal of a single big target. How then does one make out that this is a fake signal of a big target?

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH
    233 times
    If a couple or more of small (i.e. a few cm in diameter) shallow targets comes under the field of a large coil, it will set the detector off even with settings to ignore small items. You will find two or more hits with small coil close enough to fall under the large coil area or near it. This will tell you it is more than one, probably shallow and small targets, rather than big deep one. In theory, however, it is possible to have many small targets over a large one, which cannot be resolved unless small targets are dug out, and area checked with the large coil again. Luckily, this situation occures rarely in reality.

If the cannon is not too deep (les than 2m) you may even find one large elongated target with the small coil. In my area this is usually a signature of a non exploded WWI 380 mm grenade or WWII avio bomb - something not ot be desturbed. But than again, pulse star II is able to discriminate iron/non iron, so you should be able to tell.
    Last edited by TheGreenBoy; May 06, 2020 at 05:50 AM.

Apr 2020
    9 times
    GREENBOY...…. I continue to be in your debt for giving me so much of your time and sharing so much information. in my part of the world a person like you who is so helpful we call a 'diamond' (in Urdu the word is Heera) I am now very clear on how to differentiate false signals. As you would have understood, this is a large project in terms of time and money and I am trying to get the government interested in it. If they do agree then I will have to put a team together to do research on the possible location(s) of the cannon and then search the sites (s). it will in my estimate require 3-4 teams with metal detectors (both large and small coils) working concurrently and following the process that you have so nicely and carefully explained. The question that I want to ask is this: Should I have the site(s) first scanned with an earth sensitivity meter (ESM) and only use the metal detectors where the ESM indicates the presence of large objects? Each site area (and there may be 2-3 sites) may be 3km x 6km. How much area does an ESM cover? Warmest regards. Zamzama

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH
    233 times
    Ground Resistivity Tomography gives superior data compared to most, if not all, metal detectors and is no. 1 work horse in professional geological and arceological studies. It gives not only the position, but also a clue about size, shape, orientation and material of the target; such things as voids soil layers and water can be detected and tell apart. One of the draw-backs, beside the price of the instrument, is not all terrains permit this method. But this is not the problem in your case. The other down side is time and effort spent to sistematically scan large areas. Suppose you have a sistem that support an array of 100 probes. You would need to mark the 100 m2 area and stick a probe in each square meter in the same distance to each other, wire all probes to the instrument, run a scan and evaluate the data obtained. Than move to another area of 100 m2 etc.. So if you need to search 6 Km2, it pays to narrow down the areas that deserves a closer look, with some other, faster method first.
    Zamzama likes this.

Apr 2020
    9 times
    Thanks GreenBoy.......... i am now pretty clear. i can see its going to be a long haul if i undertake the project

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH
    233 times
    Just go for it! actually finding a cannon is a bonus, not mandatory.
    Zamzama likes this.

Apr 2020
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBoy View Post
    Just go for it! actually finding a cannon is a bonus, not mandatory.
    I really appreciate your spirit............ its the fun of the chase........... and am with you ........will keep you posted

us
    Dr.

Nov 2006
    Evergreen, CO
    Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
    11 times
    Resistivity is not appropriate for searching large areas for compact targets. I wasn’t sure from your post how accessible the site is. If cost effective instrumentation that can scan a large area is your requirement, then I would probably use a real geophysical instrument such as an electrical conductivity profiling instrument. An example of this is a Geonics EM31 that will detect any conductive target up to 20 ft in depth. I would combine it with a reasonably accurate GPS receiver, my preferred value receiver is a Juniper Systems Geode which should have accuracy of about 50 cm where you are. I would use QCTool software from PetrosEikon in Toronto, Canada to process and map the data. Let me know if you have further questions.
    Ryan E. North
    Research Geophysicist

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links