Greenie
Apr 20, 2020
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sdc2300.jpg

So, I was super-excited to get this. However, as I open the box, this $4,000 metal detector is packed horribly. I've searched the net for unboxing videos and have been unable to find any. I've found some Equinox unboxing videos and their packaging looks COMPLETELY different. Mine came rattling around in the box with scuffs and scratches, totally dusty, greasy fingerprints all over, headphones and batteries just kind of thrown in some bubble wrap ... very unprofessional looking. Can anyone tell me if this is how the SDC 2300 is supposed to come or did I get sent a refurb unit?

Thanks in advance for any help ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1827562

So, I was super-excited to get this. However, as I open the box, this $4,000 metal detector is packed like a Chinese piece of crap. I've searched the net for unboxing videos and have been unable to find any. I've found some Equinox unboxing videos and their packaging looks COMPLETELY different. Mine came rattling around in the box with scuffs and scratches, totally dusty, greasy fingerprints all over, headphones and batteries just kind of thrown in some bubble wrap ... very unprofessional looking. Can anyone tell me if this is how the SDC 2300 is supposed to come or did I get sent a refurb unit?

Thanks in advance for any help ...

Who did you buy it from, Minelab doesn't sell direct to customer, they are who you need to contact, maybe it was a return to dealer.

OP
OP
Rehctelf

Rehctelf

Greenie
Apr 20, 2020
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Who did you buy it from, Minelab doesn't sell direct to customer, they are who you need to contact, maybe it was a return to dealer.

A bunch of forum members recommended Kellyco, so I ordered it from them. I'll give them a call on Monday, they seem reputable.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you better call them. If you also put it on a credit card and they don't play nice you have a lot more rights than if you used a debit card (I worked in a big bank in that department.) I don't think you'll have any problem though.

OP
OP
Rehctelf

Rehctelf

Greenie
Apr 20, 2020
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, you better call them. If you also put it on a credit card and they don't play nice you have a lot more rights than if you used a debit card (I worked in a big bank in that department.) I don't think you'll have any problem though.

Yes, I used a CC because my card extends the manufacturer's warranty by one year ;-)

procali

Nov 16, 2013
BajaMex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, ctx 3030, sdc 2300, Sovereign Gt, Excal 1000, x-terra 705, profind, propointer. Stealth 720i and 920ix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I got mine, it arrived in a cardboard box packed with bunched up newspaper, no charger or headphones, and it had an odor like in the Seinfeld episode of the B.O. it was an entity on it's own , on my review videos I was unable to stay calm and control my oral expressions due to the stench of a rotten mesquite bonfire, on a latter date they sent me a charger , an new headphones, its a beauty of a detector, used it in famous hunted out pounded spots and not one skunk to this day, the stench is still hanging on to the carcass of my sdc, maybe it was given a bushdoctor , shaman blessing , i don't know, but as long as the gold keeps on singing, I dont complain anymore. still call and tell em to send you your money's worth, mine was free!!!! gl and hh

OP
OP
Rehctelf

Rehctelf

Greenie
Apr 20, 2020
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, after fully charging the batteries, reading the manual, and watching several videos about how to set up the SDC 2300, I have to say that the one I received is a complete non-working piece of crap ... crazy loud erratic noise all of the time, none of the sensitivity buttons do anything ;-(

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not trying to run it in the house or near power lines are you?

OP
OP
Rehctelf

Rehctelf

Greenie
Apr 20, 2020
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your not trying to run it in the house or near power lines are you?

No, I live on the beach and took it down to the waterline. I'll take it to the mountains tomorrow just to be sure, but it looked hokey when I opened it up. I hope I'm wrong. Will report back tomorrow.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear that. I do think you're making a mistake using it. You should have closed it up, called Kellyco, and returned it. Now you've used it, it's yours.

OP
OP
Rehctelf

Rehctelf

Greenie
Apr 20, 2020
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry to hear that. I do think you're making a mistake using it. You should have closed it up, called Kellyco, and returned it. Now you've used it, it's yours.

I haven't gotten it wet, scuffed it up, or damaged it ... only testing it. If it is defective, they WILL be taking it back ;-)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
That is why i do not buy from Kellyco any more. i do not trust them.

apcomputing

Greenie
Jul 3, 2019
dallas
Detector(s) used
delta, at4, gti1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is why i do not buy from Kellyco any more. i do not trust them.
Absolute shame. I have bought from kellyco since 1984. Never had a problem. They'll make it good, I hope.

They let me return a detector after a month, once. (Store credit, but better than I expected. I was really over a barrel, living overseas, and like I said, I had used the thing a month.)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I live on the beach and took it down to the waterline. I'll take it to the mountains tomorrow just to be sure, but it looked hokey when I opened it up. I hope I'm wrong. Will report back tomorrow.

Call them and tell them you want to return it period.

OP
OP
Rehctelf

Rehctelf

Greenie
Apr 20, 2020
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
UPDATE: Well, I took it to the nooks and crannies of Red Mountain by my house in Ventura. It turns out there was a small piece of plastic in the battery compartment that caused it to reset every time the 2300 would move. Took that out, dialed it in, and everything is working fine now ... although, based on the condition of the unit when I received it, I am pretty sure someone had returned it to the dealer even if they had not taken it out to the dirt. Now that it's working, I'll keep it ...

procali

Nov 16, 2013
BajaMex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, ctx 3030, sdc 2300, Sovereign Gt, Excal 1000, x-terra 705, profind, propointer. Stealth 720i and 920ix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

procali

Nov 16, 2013
BajaMex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this video is the best i found and helped me set it up the first time out, and got me the treasures, first time was in a saltwater beach. check it out.

procali

Nov 16, 2013
BajaMex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

this vid will be of great help and reduce the learning curve, its from nugget shooter's. used the tips my first time out and found the treasure.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Return it it because it was used and that is why you had problems with it. Take the good advice of professional treasure hunters here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread