First Time Detecting Today, No Gold But Learned A Lot ;-) (So Cal)

Rehctelf

Greenie
Apr 20, 2020
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
filing.jpg

I took my new Minelab SDC 2300 out for 3 hours to three different nooks and crannies around Red Mountain in Ventura, CA. The only ping I got turned out to be an old iron filing. And, once I got the ping, it took me 20 minutes to find the filing even though it was only 2 inches below the surface LOL. Still, proof of concept … and, I learned a lot ;-)

... and no, I don't find Joaquin Murrieta's lost gold ;-(

Here's the story:

"Joaquin Murrieta's Treasure. In 1855 the famed outlaw raided the Olivas Adobe in Ventura. The Olivas Family had just sold a heard of cattle to a Yankee merchant for a large amount of gold, some say as much as $75,000 in octagon-shaped $25 dollar gold pieces. The outlaws got into the house and looted the place, ripping the gold earrings out of Donna Theodora ear lobes. The bandits road north trying to reach the Rincon point before the tide turned that would block pursuit. The gold was heavy so they buried the treasure on Red Mountain, north of Ventura. The gold was never recovered but, Raymundo Olivas was making so much money in the gold rush he recouped his losses in only three months. In the 1890s an elderly member of the Murrieta Gang was dying in San Quintin Prison. He asked for a priest and old him this story. They buried the loot under three oak trees that were in a triangle shape. Under one there were extra pistols, under the other, spurs, and under the third, the bags of gold. The priest came to Ventura but he could never find the three trees on Red Mountain—perhaps they were cut down. There is floating around several maps said to have been drawn by Murrieta and given to his mistress who once lived in Ventura. So far none of the maps appear to be genuine. Also, there is a terrible curse upon the loot. The ghost of Murrieta is seen riding a huge phantom horse on the mountain. Over the years three men have died seeking the treasure of Red Mountain. One fellow had a map and marched to the mountain. He was never seen in Ventura again, his body washed ashore in San Diego! How he got there is one of the great mysteries of Ventura County. In the depression two men also acquired a map and took their Model T- ford truck to see the treasure. They were found dead weeks later after driving off a cliff. Was it an accident or had the driver been frighten by Murrieta's Ghost? They say the specter glows with a supernatural radiance and the eyes of the horse sparkle like blue points of light. The outlaw never returned to collect his gold because he was gunned down by lawmen and decapitated to prove they got him."

Upvote 0

TreasureHawk

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already found the treasure.
Here's a treasure map for future hunts.
Have fun and enjoy the hobby.
dn8r7v-d8544524-814f-408b-8f1e-409119ae3460.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread