gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the town hall and get the land plat which will have the name of the current owner. Somebody is paying taxes on it or it would belong to the town or county for non payment of taxes. Once you find who the present owner is you can send them a letter asking for permission. Can't be in a dead persons name since somebody still has to pay those taxes.

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a little searching it is a trust with the original owners name...

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks gunsil..

HeatherM

Apr 12, 2020
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you find out who the trustee is? I've been wondering this about a nearby property also..

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might also talk with the neighbors around that property. They many time know something about the current owner or caretaker......I mean.......someone has to be cutting the grass and getting paid, right?

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put on a hard hat and a white button down and a pair of khakis , if you have a walkie talky, hang that on your belt and go dig it up. no one will say anything to you and the owner really does not care anymore. If you do get arrested think of the funny story you can tell.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put on a hard hat and a white button down and a pair of khakis , if you have a walkie talky, hang that on your belt and go dig it up. no one will say anything to you and the owner really does not care anymore. If you do get arrested think of the funny story you can tell.

Advocating hunting private property without permission is against the metal detecting code of conduct!! Just because the original owner is dead doesn't mean the folks who the property is in trust for will like somebody on their property. My aunt in MI died a few years back and her estate had been left in a trust to me. The property is 650 miles from where I live, and it took me three trips out there over four months to settle her estate. Her neighbor kept watch on the property and if either I or she had found somebody snooping or detecting around the property we would have called the state police and prosecuted any trespasser. BAD IDEA!!

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

LMAO!!

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The property is a 80 acre partial, the owner lives in Detroit and leases it to a farmer, the homes are long gone and are in wooded areas on the property.. If I was willing to detect privet property with no permission this post would be pointless...

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you know the property is leased to a farmer, I'd start with them. You have to get permission from both the owner and the lessee anyway and the farmer can direct you to the contact. They may even be able to get you permission from them, since they already have a relationship with the owner.

Scott

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not as easy as one may think. Most small farms in the midwest that are leased out to farmers are not leased to local farmers, they are leased to huge farming conglomerate companies. My cousin who has our old family two miles below the MI border in OH farm leases the farm out to a conglomerate and they only come and seed it and then harvest it otherwise they are never there. (No till in OH) This is how it is in most leased farmland these days and conglomerates are not known to be friendly in allowing others on their leases. I think permission from the trustees would be the better way to go since the farm lease is likely only for the fields and not for the house areas.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
If it was foreclosed and the town owns it, then it should be town land which would make it public land.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read previous posts, it has already been determined that the property is in a trust and has NOT been foreclosed on or belong to the town or county.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread