There has to be a reason ?

vicvector

Apr 8, 2020
Shasta Lake CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44, Nokta Simplex+ with headphones, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm just getting back into detecting and have watched a LOT of You Tube videos to bring me back up to speed. Most of them seem to be using Minelab Equinox detectors (coin and relic and beach). I'm just wondering why. Are they some of the overall best machines around ? Just curious. Be safe and healthy all !

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a good Machine multi freguency I have one There are alot of good machines out there I had an at pro and max and there was alot I liked about those more than the Nox Its like fishing gear you dont have to have top of the line poles and reels to do well its knowing your machine and how to use it. I know many people that have the nox cause it was the hype and dont know how to use it out of the presets To each his own...

OP
OP
V

vicvector

Apr 8, 2020
Shasta Lake CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44, Nokta Simplex+ with headphones, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a good Machine multi freguency I have one There are alot of good machines out there I had an at pro and max and there was alot I liked about those more than the Nox Its like fishing gear you dont have to have top of the line poles and reels to do well its knowing your machine and how to use it. I know many people that have the nox cause it was the hype and dont know how to use it out of the presets To each his own...

Yeah it doesn't look like they are power on and go machines for sure. The multi frequency thing looks like an advantage, probably why so many peeps use them on You Tube videos. Thanks for the reply.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It depends on what type of hunting you are doing.

Civil war relics - XP Deus or Equinox
deep coin hunting - CTX 3030
Ocean beach (wet hunting) - a good PI machine or Equinox 800
Desert gold machine - Equinox 800 or some higher end gold detector.

All types of hunting - Equinox 800

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a better organized advertising network......just thinking aloud.

Oh, yeah add

- militaria and underground structures - deep seeking PI

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on what type of hunting you are doing.

Civil war relics - XP Deus or Equinox
deep coin hunting - CTX 3030
Ocean beach (wet hunting) - a good PI machine or Equinox 800
Desert gold machine - Equinox 800 or some higher end gold detector.

All types of hunting - Equinox 800

Sometimes a PI machine will work best on Civil War sites, depending on the ground mineralization.
The good old Sovereign, Explorer, and Etrac are also good on deep coins, as well as many of the Fisher machines.
I would add the CTX, Excalibur, and CZ21 to your beach machine list.
Also, there are many good gold nugget machines in all price ranges. One of the best tiny and shallow nugget machines is still the Gold Bug. Deeper stuff would need a better machine though, like the Gold Monster1000 or the real high end stuff that are multi-thousands of dollars.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm just getting back into detecting and have watched a LOT of You Tube videos to bring me back up to speed. Most of them seem to be using Minelab Equinox detectors (coin and relic and beach). I'm just wondering why. Are they some of the overall best machines around ? Just curious. Be safe and healthy all !

Because the kind of people vain enough to video themselves are lured by the marketing and design of Minelab? ;-)

(Not really . . . or is it?)

Last edited:

Lucio21

Greenie
May 15, 2020
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Se Ltd.
Fisher CZ3D
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because the kind of people vain enough to video themselves are lured by the marketing and design of Minelab? ;-)

(Not really . . . or is it?)

I really find it funny when they are SO sure that the detector THEY use is the best that they make videos on it running down other machines, but then turn off commenting because they are cowardly sheep.

If I see a channel with commenting turned off they don't even get a second look. Only cowards have something to hide.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best finds have been found by entry level detectors....... it's usually the presistance of the detectorist that makes the difference.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do fine with what i got and follow guys with minelabs new and old models all the time
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9z25g56LhkEv_fdD_Gglsg

Equinox is the flavor of the month
guys used to say their Excals were the best in the world
then 3030s came out and they said those were best in the world
then garrett ATX and AT PRO and everyone was buying them
i got friends that have 8 or more machines that are top of the line by every company out there
I dont get out as much as i used to but i trudge along with what i got and usually get a few good keepers every time i get out still
and i follow guys with every new model out there

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You must have missed their marketing blitz, they boldly claimed for months that the nox would obsolete all other detectors, and many bought into the hype. It is a very good detector to be sure but I think right now it is more trendy than anything, and I am guessing that sales of their top of the line units fell to rock bottom with the nox success.
Most guy are gadget fiends face it, we want the latest and greatest. Fact is, the best detector out there, the best and greatest that will ever be, is the one you use the most - And that doesn't have to be the latest deep seeking monster with bluetooth and gps.

I have one btw, got it late last summer and haven't used it yet so I still reserve my impression of it. I got the simplex and have been using that alot ,, Will more than likely get an Apex when they hit the market, looks promising and I am a big fan of the Ace line.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True. I am using a couple of home made machines, have one yet to be boxed and intend to build another one (i have to keep pace with the market lol); i a have found so much trash over the years i coud open a private City dump - so they still must be top of the line, i guess. Or maybe there is no such thing as the best detector - just go out and use whatever you have, as often as you can.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net, some like Fords some like Chevy's. The NOX seems to be the bell of the ball right now. I like Garretts but that doesn't make me right or wrong. Find what you like, then learn it inside and out. HH & GL

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must have missed their marketing blitz, they boldly claimed for months that the nox would obsolete all other detectors, and many bought into the hype. It is a very good detector to be sure but I think right now it is more trendy than anything, and I am guessing that sales of their top of the line units fell to rock bottom with the nox success.
Most guy are gadget fiends face it, we want the latest and greatest. Fact is, the best detector out there, the best and greatest that will ever be, is the one you use the most - And that doesn't have to be the latest deep seeking monster with bluetooth and gps.

I have one btw, got it late last summer and haven't used it yet so I still reserve my impression of it. I got the simplex and have been using that alot ,, Will more than likely get an Apex when they hit the market, looks promising and I am a big fan of the Ace line.

You got a brand new Equinox last summer and haven't used it yet? Why?? :icon_scratch:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I worked in repair center for 5 years my preferences have a lot to do with what the electronics are like inside the box, are they cheap electronics in a fancy box or are they just as good internally as the fancy box they are in. I own the Nox it is a good detector but I still own 4 excals and couple 3030s and they are not leaving my arsenal any time soon other than maybe 1 excal since I own 4 in different configurations.

One thing for sure, I want use anything that isnt multiple frequency.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True. I am using a couple of home made machines, have one yet to be boxed and intend to build another one (i have to keep pace with the market lol); i a have found so much trash over the years i coud open a private City dump - so they still must be top of the line, i guess. Or maybe there is no such thing as the best detector - just go out and use whatever you have, as often as you can.

You can for sure step up your game with a more capable machine, like with any other tool its the user that makes the real difference.

You got a brand new Equinox last summer and haven't used it yet? Why??
icon_scratch.gif

Git it in late AUG 2019, at that time what detecting I could do I was concentrating on water , didn't have the waterproof headphones for it, didn't want to learn a new machine with fall and winter coming on, so I used what I knew, the AT Pro.
When detecting weather came around in early March of this year, what detecting I could do I used mostly my trusty Ace 400, once again didn't want to learn a new detector with the limited time I had [have been working right through the pandemic, sometimes 7 days a week] Simplex caught my eye and I got that about a month ago, found that to be pretty much turn on and go. Learned a few options, it is certainly deeper seeking than the 400 and better all the way around, so the plan is to learn that one good then see what I can do with the Nox, if it isn't up to my expectations or if I never devote time to learn it, then I'll sell it and not look back.

Last edited:

Lucio21

Greenie
May 15, 2020
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Se Ltd.
Fisher CZ3D
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out detecting a state park one time and there was another guy there detecting with his son. Always happy to see another enjoying the hobby I went over and introduced myself. They were using an old Heathkit? detector from the late 60s early 70s.

The guy was visibly ashamed of his machine. He said that he ran into other detectorists and a lot of them made fun of his detector, in front of his son.

This is where the (insert brand) lemmings/zombies piss me off. Why would someone do that? Is an $800+ detector an extension of their manhood? Are they that fragile within their masculinity that they have to run a guy down in front of his kid just because they are out enjoying the hobby?

Newsflash to anyone who thinks their choice of detector means ANYTHING outside of your own head, it doesn't.

The little boy was SO excited to see another person detecting. he came running up to me with some aluminum junk and a cheap ring. To him it was treasure. Was my first instinct to flex my manhood extension and call their detector junk? No. I was genuinely happy to see a dad and his son spending time together.

I think some of these neanderthals think that more expensive gear is some kind of super cool thing. Like all the ladies gonna be knocking down their door because they swing a certain detector, or that they spent a certain amount on it. Another newsflash. This is a NERD hobby. Once which I am proud to partake in. You won't be dropping panties at the bar when you whip out pictures of your Equinox.

But I see it in every nerd hobby I partake in or read about. Detecting, video games, cannabis cultivation (legal here). There always seems to be the portion of the community that thinks they are above the nerdiness and can look down on others.

I am sure with detecting it has been around since the beginning, but it has gotten 1000x worse with the Youtube idiots acting like unless you have XXXX brand, you are bad, your family is bad and you should feel ashamed.

They are some sick individuals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread