It's down to Two machines. Help me make a choice.

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago I got out of metal detecting and sold my White's Spectrum XLT. I never thought that machine lived up to it's full potential and the learning curve for me was quite long. I hunted mostly in Michigan at parks, abandoned homesteads, fields, etc. with very little mineralization. I want to get back into it with a mid-priced machine and I've narrowed it down to the Garrett Ace 400 or the Fisher F44. I'm having trouble deciding which one and both have certain advantages that I can see. Help me out here with your opinions if you own one or both of these machines. Thanks.

Upvote 0

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to echo another sentiment of Loco's, don't be afraid to buy used to get more for your money. Many, if not most people buy a machine, never touch it or run it a couple of times and then sell it for relatively nothing when they get tired of moving it around or seeing it in their closet. The only machine I've ever bought brand new was the Equinox 600 until a used 800 became available. So if it weren't going to be something like a Simplex or Vanquish, look for used. Just to give you an idea how much you can save, I bought a CTX-3030 for $1,100 (saving over $1,400), a V3i for $700 (saving $800), Equinox 800 with Profind 35 for $500 (saving $500+), and in the past I've bought machines in the mid to low range at well below half off retail. Ive bought machines like the XLT you mentioned for as little as $125. Garrett Ace 350 for as little as $100. It pays to look around a bit.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Find a great deal on a used Garrett AT Pro for le$$ than you were going to pay for the ace 400.

I know...this probably isn't helping but you only get to spend that money once!

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't really rate the F44, never having one but my girlfriend had an F2 and it LOVED deep cans and you couldn't detect if you were ANYWHERE near a cell tower. I have an Ace 400 that I use as a backup unit to my AT Pro and for the money it's a good detector, having hit on sterling rings at up to 9 inches deep. I'd vote for the Ace 400.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Between the two I'd get a Vanquish 440 or 540 since you're in that price range. Also, if you EVER want to hunt salt water beaches the Vanquish is the ONLY way to go. Just saying.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Minelab ia a reputated company, non the less i would give the Vanquish line mor time for the true performance to crystal out, somethimes a well designed single frequency machine gives better results. Just saying...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread