It's down to Two machines. Help me make a choice.

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago I got out of metal detecting and sold my White's Spectrum XLT. I never thought that machine lived up to it's full potential and the learning curve for me was quite long. I hunted mostly in Michigan at parks, abandoned homesteads, fields, etc. with very little mineralization. I want to get back into it with a mid-priced machine and I've narrowed it down to the Garrett Ace 400 or the Fisher F44. I'm having trouble deciding which one and both have certain advantages that I can see. Help me out here with your opinions if you own one or both of these machines. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between those two for the money I'd go with the Nokta/Makro Simplex+

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my simplex
Thereā€™s also minelab vanquish with multi frequency

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simplex+ is waterproof and submersible - of whatā€™s been mentioned, it would get my vote, tho I own a Garrett and a Fisher. :laughing7:

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither, choose the simplex, best bang for buck, but if you love American brand names go for something else although most are made in China i believe.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Fisher F44

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Me, with my 40 years of experience, I'd think about a basically entry level machine.
Get a used machine! Just maybe you might run across a Tesoro Tejon. You'd learn a lot from that machine,

If not, don't go spending big bucks from the start. Learn on a "sound" machine before you start spending Big bucks on anything you see here. After all you'll need a backup machine at some point.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Garrett is announcing the new Apex in a week or two and it may be an upgrade from the Ace. So you may want to hold off before you purchase.
Think about a waterproof detector if youā€™ll be going in the River there.
Good luck!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
By the way, for all you dreamers like me out there, I've been in a search along side of a Tesoro Compadre = Oh yeah, that baby worked extremely well while swinging alongside my CTX....

That's what the facts are for you guys who want to spend big bucks. What was that saying? Simply is what simply does

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It appears that you have a budget and that's why you are looking at those two. I have bought most of my machines used and have never had an issue. I am a Fisher guy and don't like the garrett bell tones. I do prefer a DD coil over a concentric. I hear good things about the simplex, you might want to put that into your consideration unless buying US product is one of your goals.

good luck in whatever you chose.

PS I hunted my 1st 6 months without a pin pointer, but won't hunt without one now. Be sure you budget enough for a good pin pointer, It speeds up target recovery. Heck I keep 2 on hand just in case one breaks.

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that you have a budget and that's why you are looking at those two. I have bought most of my machines used and have never had an issue. I am a Fisher guy and don't like the garrett bell tones. I do prefer a DD coil over a concentric. I hear good things about the simplex, you might want to put that into your consideration unless buying US product is one of your goals.

good luck in whatever you chose.

PS I hunted my 1st 6 months without a pin pointer, but won't hunt without one now. Be sure you budget enough for a good pin pointer, It speeds up target recovery. Heck I keep 2 on hand just in case one breaks.

Seems the DD coils go a little deeper with higher mineralization......however I used a concentric for years on my Teknetics 8500 and was spot on with pinpointing, something I really miss having. In city searching it pays to be accurate and faster and not dig large holes.....with my Deus Orx I can't be as precise with it's DD coil. Hunting pastures or farmland don't worry so much about hole size.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems the DD coils go a little deeper with higher mineralization......however I used a concentric for years on my Teknetics 8500 and was spot on with pinpointing, something I really miss having. In city searching it pays to be accurate and faster and not dig large holes.....with my Deus Orx I can't be as precise with it's DD coil. Hunting pastures or farmland don't worry so much about hole size.

I find that I get better separation using a DD vs a concentric

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that I get better separation using a DD vs a concentric

Not so sure separation is a benefit but can definitely cover more ground using a DD....which is good for large fields (don't have to overlap sweeps as much)....not so much in town. And being in Kansas my ground is mostly low Mineralization. The early Teknetics coin computer machines were concentric and could find deep coins with it and pinpointing was very accurate.....separation was improved in the final Mark I design. After the early company Teknetics or Discovery electronics sold their assets to 1st Texas they moved over to the DD coils which have pluses but also a few drawbacks like less accurate id of bottlecaps and pinpointing.

Chopperdog24

May 4, 2020
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Equinox 600, T2 SE, Nokta Simplex+ XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detector choice

A few years ago I got out of metal detecting and sold my White's Spectrum XLT. I never thought that machine lived up to it's full potential and the learning curve for me was quite long. I hunted mostly in Michigan at parks, abandoned homesteads, fields, etc. with very little mineralization. I want to get back into it with a mid-priced machine and I've narrowed it down to the Garrett Ace 400 or the Fisher F44. I'm having trouble deciding which one and both have certain advantages that I can see. Help me out here with your opinions if you own one or both of these machines. Thanks.

Between the 2 that you mentioned, I would go with the F44. ----But a better choice, (IMO), would be the Simplex + with the wireless headphones ( For about $330)---or any of the Garrett AT series. ----(used)

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try the F44 . It looks up to the tasks. I like Garrett's. Don't get me wrong. But its just that same boring tone. I have a simplex+. The only potential dis advantage is that it has a sealed unit battery. And since its from turkey idk what a turn around time would be like on a warranty. Not to mention these batteries don't last forever. Hopefully they are better quality to last longer than a month or 2 out of the warranty period.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd vote for f44 between the two. Hovewer, there are many fine detectors in this price range; Simplex+, Pirate, Golden Mask......

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can appreciate your situation. It's hard to make a choice. From reading your original post it appears you want simplicity that works without a lot of playing with settings.
First let's look at your 2 original choices.
Ace 400-
Cons: 1) For some, hard to see display. 2) NOT waterproof or weatherproof in any way. 3) Some say the Garretts perform poorly concerning unmasking good targets in the presence of iron. 4) Some hate the tones
Pros: 1) Garrett has a good support reputation. 2) You can get aftermarket non-garrett coils to fit it, expanding capabilities. 3) The Ace line has proven to be reliable and long-lived.

Fisher F44-
Cons: 1)We already know that First Texas has shut down "hobby" operations due to COVID-19. That is a negative from a support perspective. 2) Not Waterproof (it is "weatherproof") 3)Users have reported problems with the keypad of certain Fisher and Teknetics detectors.
Pros: 1) Can get aftermarket coils for it. 2)"Weatherproof" meaning it can take a light drizzle without damaging it (I guess) 3)Simple to operate with decent display

Concerning the 2 detectors you mentioned above initially, I'd choose the Ace 400, even though my eyes can't see the display well. I must admit that Garrett is there for the customer, and that means a lot. The Ace line has been around a while, and people continue to find good things with them. Not my cup of tea anymore, but would be a good "beater"

I would like for you to consider what others have mentioned. Namely the Minelab Vanquish 440 and the Simplex + with wireless headphones.
The Vanquish is NOT waterproof. The Simplex is waterproof and includes wireless headphones (must make sure you get that model if that interests you).
Vanquish is multi-frequency where the Simplex is not. Both the 440 and the Simplex can only use the factory available coils, no aftermarket choices currently.
Minelab support once upon a time sucked bad, but is now very good. Nokta, I do not have enough info on, but hear they will take care of the customer also.
Both Vanquish and Simplex are "new" and do not have the years in the field that The F44 and Ace 400 have. Initial Simplex shipments had bad coils, and some others reported issues. Nokta is heavily developing their firmware and supply updates regularly at this point, they are listening. It's mostly enjoyed by those that buy it. It is however a single frequency VLF machine.
The Vanquish I've not heard of any large scale failure or major issues. Multi-frequency like the Equinox, just a wee bit neutered with very simple settings. This simplicity is what makes it attractive to those like yourself, who want to simply get out and hunt with a capable detector.

Best advice is to go to the websites and download manuals. Thumb through them and see which one makes the most sense to you.

My vote considering the pricing range if other detectors were up for consideration??
Vanquish 440 1st choice. Simplex with headphones 2nd choice.
I'd gladly hunt with either. The Simplex offers far more though for your dollar

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace 400 and F44..............as for the Ace, I would wait for the new Apex release.

The F44 appears to be a relatively new detector. It isn't. It is a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro/Teknetics Liberator in a newer designed control housing which actually is really nice. The F44 is a very light weight well designed detector and you get the 5 year warranty. First Texas will be reopening soon I'm sure. If you have low mineralization then you should be OK with the F44 but it is not a deep detector.

Those that have mentioned the Simplex and the Vanquish are giving you good advice. You could also go with a Teknetics Patriot (which is the same as the F70) a Teknetics T2, or a Whites MX7 (really nice detector in low to moderate mineralization). The Simplex's big brother, the Makro Kruzer is a really good detector too.

Jeff

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I loved my old xlt and kept moving up with whites; DFX, V3i and then switched over to Fisher F75. In good ground it works very well. I'm in iron infested sites most of the time.and use 2 tone. I like to get as many non ferrous targets as fast as I can. Fast pin point. fast ID and fast dig. I'm not in any rush but it works well for me and enjoyable. I believe the F44 is based on the same platform but do go by me, just ask my detecting friends.:hello:

ā˜  Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of the 2 you mentioned I would go with the F44. Reasons being you'll get equal depth, but better target separation, better ergonomics, and some more advanced features to help distinguish junk from keepers. The F44 is also weatherproof. You really can't go wrong either way, but I see those factors as King makers in this scenario. That aside, I do have to echo what so many of these guys are saying here. Simplex or Vanquish models provide far more for your money. Many people have been so impressed with the Simplex at as little as $254 that they strongly believe it belongs in the top tier of performance. I don't know this to be true as I've not had one in my hands, and since my collection of machines are already top tier I haven't given in to curiosity enough to buy and try. I do have an Equinox 800 and can tell you that Multi-IQ, which is also the base technology for the Vanquish (starting at $199) is amazing. So consider those machines as well. I second Loco's advice on Pinpointer, even if it's bare bones. They are that helpful. After having tried all but the new Makro Pulsedive my favorites are the Whites Bullseye TRX and the Teknetics Tek-point (or Fisher F-Pulse).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread