Its down to Two machines. Help me make a choice.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Its down to Two machines. Help me make a choice.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2005
    On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Question It's down to Two machines. Help me make a choice.

A few years ago I got out of metal detecting and sold my White's Spectrum XLT. I never thought that machine lived up to it's full potential and the learning curve for me was quite long. I hunted mostly in Michigan at parks, abandoned homesteads, fields, etc. with very little mineralization. I want to get back into it with a mid-priced machine and I've narrowed it down to the Garrett Ace 400 or the Fisher F44. I'm having trouble deciding which one and both have certain advantages that I can see. Help me out here with your opinions if you own one or both of these machines. Thanks.
    "The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"; (Paul Fix)

us
    Tom

Jul 2012
    Mesa AZ
    Minelab Equinox 800, XP ORX, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark
    262 times
    Between those two for the money I'd go with the Nokta/Makro Simplex+
    Coinboy, xfactor, Gare and 4 others like this.
    45 Years detecting
    Current Arsenal: Minelab Equinox 800, XP ORX, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/BigFoot x 3, Tesoro Tiger Shark

us
    Youtuber

Dec 2019
    Iowa
    Nokta Makro Simplex, Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
    319 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I love my simplex
    There’s also minelab vanquish with multi frequency
    chub, G.A.P.metal and Slowtaknow like this.
    Check out my YouTube Channel!-Coinboy Detecting and collecting! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFLxG6yeF6ejxaAUp6vpaow
    Winner of February 2020 Vaughan Garret's Favorite Finds for my 1754 2 Reales!
    “Today’s the day!”- Mel Fisher
    “It’s so much fun!”- Kurt from the Hoover Boys

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2017
    Northwest Arkansas
    Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
    2586 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Simplex+ is waterproof and submersible - of what’s been mentioned, it would get my vote, tho I own a Garrett and a Fisher.
    RustyGold likes this.

us
    Lord ringpull

Oct 2015
    Kannapolis nc
    Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex
    372 times
    Neither, choose the simplex, best bang for buck, but if you love American brand names go for something else although most are made in China i believe.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2005
    Coastal Georgia
    XP Deus, XP ORX, Equinox 800, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
    330 times
    Fisher F44

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    19222 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Me, with my 40 years of experience, I'd think about a basically entry level machine.
    Get a used machine! Just maybe you might run across a Tesoro Tejon. You'd learn a lot from that machine,

If not, don't go spending big bucks from the start. Learn on a "sound" machine before you start spending Big bucks on anything you see here. After all you'll need a backup machine at some point.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Southern California
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus
    9191 times
    Garrett is announcing the new Apex in a week or two and it may be an upgrade from the Ace. So you may want to hold off before you purchase.
    Think about a waterproof detector if you’ll be going in the River there.
    Good luck!
    chub likes this.

“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
    – Albert Einstein

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    19222 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    By the way, for all you dreamers like me out there, I've been in a search along side of a Tesoro Compadre = Oh yeah, that baby worked extremely well while swinging alongside my CTX....

That's what the facts are for you guys who want to spend big bucks. What was that saying? Simply is what simply does
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    17343 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    It appears that you have a budget and that's why you are looking at those two. I have bought most of my machines used and have never had an issue. I am a Fisher guy and don't like the garrett bell tones. I do prefer a DD coil over a concentric. I hear good things about the simplex, you might want to put that into your consideration unless buying US product is one of your goals.

good luck in whatever you chose.

PS I hunted my 1st 6 months without a pin pointer, but won't hunt without one now. Be sure you budget enough for a good pin pointer, It speeds up target recovery. Heck I keep 2 on hand just in case one breaks.
    RustyGold, chub, dts52 and 1 others like this.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

us
    May 2017
    Kansas
    XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco-Digger View Post
    It appears that you have a budget and that's why you are looking at those two. I have bought most of my machines used and have never had an issue. I am a Fisher guy and don't like the garrett bell tones. I do prefer a DD coil over a concentric. I hear good things about the simplex, you might want to put that into your consideration unless buying US product is one of your goals.

good luck in whatever you chose.

PS I hunted my 1st 6 months without a pin pointer, but won't hunt without one now. Be sure you budget enough for a good pin pointer, It speeds up target recovery. Heck I keep 2 on hand just in case one breaks.

Seems the DD coils go a little deeper with higher mineralization......however I used a concentric for years on my Teknetics 8500 and was spot on with pinpointing, something I really miss having. In city searching it pays to be accurate and faster and not dig large holes.....with my Deus Orx I can't be as precise with it's DD coil. Hunting pastures or farmland don't worry so much about hole size.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    17343 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timecop67 View Post
    Seems the DD coils go a little deeper with higher mineralization......however I used a concentric for years on my Teknetics 8500 and was spot on with pinpointing, something I really miss having. In city searching it pays to be accurate and faster and not dig large holes.....with my Deus Orx I can't be as precise with it's DD coil. Hunting pastures or farmland don't worry so much about hole size.
    I find that I get better separation using a DD vs a concentric
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

us
    May 2017
    Kansas
    XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco-Digger View Post
    I find that I get better separation using a DD vs a concentric
    Not so sure separation is a benefit but can definitely cover more ground using a DD....which is good for large fields (don't have to overlap sweeps as much)....not so much in town. And being in Kansas my ground is mostly low Mineralization. The early Teknetics coin computer machines were concentric and could find deep coins with it and pinpointing was very accurate.....separation was improved in the final Mark I design. After the early company Teknetics or Discovery electronics sold their assets to 1st Texas they moved over to the DD coils which have pluses but also a few drawbacks like less accurate id of bottlecaps and pinpointing.

us
    May 2020
    Indianapolis, IN
    Equinox 800, Equinox 600, T2 SE, Nokta Simplex+ XP ORX
    1 times

Detector choice

Quote Originally Posted by jglunt View Post
    A few years ago I got out of metal detecting and sold my White's Spectrum XLT. I never thought that machine lived up to it's full potential and the learning curve for me was quite long. I hunted mostly in Michigan at parks, abandoned homesteads, fields, etc. with very little mineralization. I want to get back into it with a mid-priced machine and I've narrowed it down to the Garrett Ace 400 or the Fisher F44. I'm having trouble deciding which one and both have certain advantages that I can see. Help me out here with your opinions if you own one or both of these machines. Thanks.
    Between the 2 that you mentioned, I would go with the F44. ----But a better choice, (IMO), would be the Simplex + with the wireless headphones ( For about $330)---or any of the Garrett AT series. ----(used)

us
    Relic Recoverist

Jun 2015
    BEAN FIELD ,IL
    Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
    236 times
    I would try the F44 . It looks up to the tasks. I like Garrett's. Don't get me wrong. But its just that same boring tone. I have a simplex+. The only potential dis advantage is that it has a sealed unit battery. And since its from turkey idk what a turn around time would be like on a warranty. Not to mention these batteries don't last forever. Hopefully they are better quality to last longer than a month or 2 out of the warranty period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links