Metal detecting Revolutionary War relics on virgin ground

Steeple Jack

Jan 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been metal detecting since 1960 when I received my first detector. It was home made by my father who was a ham radio operator and worked with electronics. Of course this was made using vacuum tubes and heavy batteries, It could detect an iron man hole cover if I was standing on top of it, but I still managed to find goodies with it. As I recall, it used two or three vacuum tubes and a 67.5 volt battery to power it. When I went into the Navy in 1966 I took it along with me and used it on the beaches in Italy where I was stationed. I found a lot of Lira coins but no ancient Roman artifacts! Back in those days not many people were into metal detecting and I always attracted attention from people wanting to know what I was doing. After explaining many times what I was doing, I decided to have some fun with people by telling them I was counting the mosquito population with my "skeeter meter". After returning to civilian life, I purchased an early Whites detector since the bug had bitten me pretty bad. By the 1970s, I had upgraded detectors numerous times and tried most of the big brand names. I had a preference for Whites detectors and either owned or used just about every model Whites made. By 1976 my interests turned from coin hunting in parks to Civil War and Revolutionary War relic hunting. Thru a friend who did a lot of research, I was able to locate an untouched Revolutionary War encampment in New York near West Point. That is over 200 miles from where I live, but we made the trip at least once a month. The American Continental Army had camped on this land off and on for nearly six years. Even after 200 years.the land was still undeveloped virgin ground. The only junk we ever found there was colonial period junk with not so much as a shot gun shell! I can't begin to describe all of the relics we pulled out of that ground. Regimental pewter buttons, round balls, and British coins were pretty common. I have not been up there for probably 20 years, but I heard the place is now developed into a housing project. What a shame since with the sensitive detectors available today, I am sure there were still many relics that could have been found.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you were sniping in my old stomping grounds!! Used to find early artillery rounds above the Point and on Bannerman's. Doddletown before the park took over had a fantastic dump. Such a shame that almost all of fort Ramapo was covered by the thruway. I had permission to hunt Washington's headquarters in Tappan and with a few friends pulled a lot of good stuff from there and a school yard down the road where there had been a camp. So many places in Rockland and Westchester have historical marker signs saying "Connecticut Troops Camped Here" or "Revolutionary army troop camped Here" but all you see is 1960-70s development houses. I got to it in 1970 but was already too late for many areas here.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting story of your early days detecting Steeple Jack and of your dads home made machine. Welcome to the forum from Missouri.

Don

OP
OP
S

Steeple Jack

Jan 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Revolutionary War relic hunting

Thanks Don!

I have been out of relic hunting for a few years, but once it is in your blood, it is hard to shake! Having used only analog metal detectors in the past, I am amazed with the depth the newer digital metal detectors are capable of. I really wish I had one of those back in the 1970s! Because I was into metal detecting early on, I was able to dig in places that are taboo today. I have been to numerous Civil War and Revolutionary War battlefields and found a lot of stuff over the years. I didn't keep much of that stuff and donated it to various museums in Fishkill, New York, and in Philadelphia. It always was the thrill of the hunt for me. I even had permission to dig at Valley Forge when it still was a state park as opposed to the federal park it is today. The things I found there are currently in the park museum with my name as the donor. After 60 years of metal detecting, these old legs are giving out a little, but I am still at it!

Best regards....Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread