Garrett is back in the game with the Apex

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Garrett is back into the game!

1st it was a good way to reveal a new detector with everyone!

No threat to the Equinxox technically EXCEPT it will get tons of new detectorists into the Garrett family and they will likely be loyal to garret. By the time they need to upgrade from the Apex Garrett will have a competitor to the Equinox line.

It is a direct threat to the Vanquish and Simplex+.

Garrett has proved (to me at least) it is not conceding it's sport division.

plus he revealed that there have been more than 1,000,000 Ace detectors sold.

as a side note, their factory is back to 100% in Texas and they secured the Apex parts in advance of the virus striking America.

Will they add these improvements to the AT Pro line to extend it? I am pretty sure they will. Too many AT Pro users out there. You will have a waterproof Apex on the AT Pro line with re-chargable batteries and lighter.

The design is cool more like the Equinox control panel and I am sure the Viper coil will be a great hit.

rechargable battery, true ground balance, lighter than Vanquish.

price: $425 - $499 w/o wireless headphones
add $80 for wireless earphones.

Yes, Garrett is back into the game (did they ever leave?)

Existing Ace users will flock to the Apex, newbies will buy the Apex and stay with Garrett for years.

https://www.facebook.com/Garrettmetaldetectorsusa/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As of a month ago Relic Recoverists (Jocelyn) is still using the AT Gold and her hair is no longer purple. In my opinion she is the best female detectorist on youtube. Actually knows a lot about metal detecting and takes it seriously.

Funny thing, her boyfriend swings an Equinox and in this video she called it his "witchcraft machine". I guess in her Garrett boyfriend agreement their is a section where her boyfriend is allow to use a non Garrett detector.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett is protecting its money tree Ace line. That is clear. We know that they can produce a waterproof detector look at the AT Pro. Now they have proved they can produce a multi-frequency detector and one with more features than the Vanquish 540. (I think Minelab made a mistake on the no ground balance feature and the Apex pointedly made that clear.

Kob I think the detector you and others are looking for will come later this year or spring 2021 and it will be the AT Pro Apex going head to head against the Equinox line.

I know Garrett has the ability and now I am pretty sure they have the will to do it. I was a long and hard critic of Garrett for not bringing the multi-frequency and other technologies of the Equinox to the market in their detectors. Now that has changed.

Winners will be Garrett and Minelab and losers? The other losers will be detector manufacturers who won't or cannot afford to upgrade their lines with the newer technology.

Since the modern metal detector is now based on microprocessors and signal processors many detector manufacturers will follow the Intel development model of product life cycles by making your own older models obsolete or let your competitors do it and let the competitors gain the new detector sales. Garrett is going to strongly defend their Ace line (1,000,000) units sold and also defend their popular AT Pro line with the AT Pro Apex at some near future date.

We are entering (or have enterered) into a interesting phase of new metal detector introductions.

Garrets multi is running 5 to 20 kh.... Minelab is running all the way up to 40kh....You know what means dont you??? Dont get me wrong it is a nice machine for the money.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Calabash, I think the new Garrett can and will compete nicely with the Vanquish, and Equinox 600. When they complete the design of the 12" and 5" coil for the Apex, they will really have something. As far as the top end of 20kHz, I found over a Troy pound of small pickers and nuggets with my 17.8kHz Tesoro Lobo Super Trac. The thing about these new super light multi-freqs is they can go anywhere. Fresh water, Saltwater, desert, forest. This machine will sell to Police departments and civilians alike. Super easy to learn and use, with insane capabilities.

There is a reason Garrett is number one. This is not to say specialized machines will not be needed and prized. Excalibur; GPZ 7000; E-Trac; yadda-yadda-yadda

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed something somewhere, the new Garrett, 5 to 20 Khz, multi, meaning at the same time?, or the ability to switch around to single Freq's, which in itself is fine, I had bought a minilab X-Terra because I could switch Freq's, but by changing coils to do so. Then went to the Safari, Multi-Freq's, great machine, but must use a slower swing for a slower recovery speed, the AT Pro, "waterproof" and then the EQ 800, only one I use now, Multi Freq, 5 single Freq's without changing coils and waterproof. The new Garrett? Well....you never know, a new toy for Dave just for the heck of it? Do I need ANOTHER detector, ah well no, there are seven hanging on the wall now, but fella's that's over 30 plus years, and I only use one now, but...I don't know......

Last edited:

Lucio21

Greenie
May 15, 2020
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Se Ltd.
Fisher CZ3D
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed something somewhere, the new Garrett, 5 to 20 Khz, multi, meaning at the same time?, or the ability to switch around to single Freq's, which in itself is fine, I had bought a minilab X-Terra because I could switch Freq's, but by changing coils to do so. Then went to the Safari, Multi-Freq's, great machine, but must use a slower swing for a slower recovery speed, the AT Pro, "waterproof" and then the EQ 800, only one I use now, Multi Freq, 5 single Freq's without changing coils and waterproof. The new Garrett? Well....you never know, a new toy for Dave just for the heck of it? Do I need ANOTHER detector, ah well no, there are seven hanging on the wall now, but fella's that's over 30 plus years, and I only use one now, but...I don't know......

I missed it as well. From the video I watched it seemed like you could only switch between each individual freq. But I have read that it also detects with multiple as well.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash, I think the new Garrett can and will compete nicely with the Vanquish, and Equinox 600. When they complete the design of the 12" and 5" coil for the Apex, they will really have something. As far as the top end of 20kHz, I found over a Troy pound of small pickers and nuggets with my 17.8kHz Tesoro Lobo Super Trac. The thing about these new super light multi-freqs is they can go anywhere. Fresh water, Saltwater, desert, forest. This machine will sell to Police departments and civilians alike. Super easy to learn and use, with insane capabilities.

There is a reason Garrett is number one. This is not to say specialized machines will not be needed and prized. Excalibur; GPZ 7000; E-Trac; yadda-yadda-yadda

Terry I dont know anything about gold hunting but I know from extensive testing on relics in iron that there are mid to low conductors in iron that a Higher freq machine will see that a 20 kh machine wont. Now that might not mean anything to most but for me it does because I hunt hammered relics sites and need all the advantages I can get pulling mid to low conductive buttons from the iron.

Like smokey said they missed the boat on the highest freq of 20. It should have been up around 30. There will be advantages such as salt water beaches but like smokey said dont see this machine unlocking hammered sites for mid to low conductors that are hiding in the iron .Its not doing anything different Freq wise than say a Tejon at what 17 kh?? That is on the top of the range...

There is not enough span between 5 kh to 20...such as with a Deus that goes from 14 to 54 or even 14 to 74 on the eliptical... Nox goes 5 to 40...
Like I said looks like a good beginners detector...actually really good for that purpose.
All my opinions are form a relic hunters viewpoint..

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Apex has manual selection of 4 frequencies from 5 to 20KHz, plus two more setings, the "multi frequency" with more (or all) frequencies at the same time (what ever that means) plus special "beach" multi frequency mode using many frequencies at the same time specialy adopted for salty enviroment.
Frequency is only one parameter affecting overall sensitivity of the machine, in my oppinion stating that 20KHz max, might be a handicap is premature at this point, we'll have to wait and see how the detector will actually behave in terrain.

Garrett is a reputable company with a line of fine machines i would love to have any of them, and wery experienced development team and deserve more credit on Apex, afrer all, guessing how the detector might or might not work in advance is just what it is - guessing.

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silly question...can the frequencies be changed with upgrades?? or are those parameters fixed in the processor? It seems these days that so much can be changed with updates. Backlight levels, extended sensitivity etc etc.

It was a point that I didnt want to criticise Garrett on. Well done for *keeping up... but how about something really innovative / fresh .I guess this is what the Cygnus is hinting at?

Chub

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silly question...can the frequencies be changed with upgrades?? or are those parameters fixed in the processor? It seems these days that so much can be changed with updates. Backlight levels, extended sensitivity etc etc.

It was a point that I didnt want to criticise Garrett on. Well done for *keeping up... but how about something really innovative / fresh .I guess this is what the Cygnus is hinting at?

Chub

There is a ring of truth in that. Besides a few very succesfoul marketing campaigns that made a lot of people belive in things out of scientific frame, we have seen litle new in last 20 yeares of VLF machines. The biggest step forward has been the application of visualization algoritms in Invenio, sadly, this sleeped threw the hands of time almost unnoticed. Not a coincidence.

As fare as the Cygnus, it is yet a non existing detector with the technology and specifictions that has been kept in secret and not revealed even for a finger nail. It is difficult if not inpossible to comment on it, and unfair to compare it with a live machine. In my belive, it could be a unicorn, but once it tekes a phisical shape it might turn out it is just another horse.

Oh, and wheather or not the frequncy can be changed in SW it depends on the chipset used, in my guess it is, but the true awser may onle be given by Garrett. The true questione is: do you relly think it is necessary to add another harmonic (i.e. 40 KHz).

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So.....by what I just read here, it's like the EQ 6-800? Operates in Multi Freq with the option to switch to a single Freq. if so desired. I have everything I will ever need, but with newer people interested in the hobby, I try to offer up a pretty decent choice for them, something user friendly to start out with, but something they will not outgrow anytime soon, while getting the most bang for the buck. There are a number of good choices out there, I just hope to give them a fairly informed choice. I could go on etc. etc., I will only add that so far, I have not found any good information about it anywhere. The one video put out by Garrett was as sad as the one Minelab put on the Vanquish.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So.....by what I just read here, it's like the EQ 6-800? Operates in Multi Freq with the option to switch to a single Freq. if so desired. I have everything I will ever need, but with newer people interested in the hobby, I try to offer up a pretty decent choice for them, something user friendly to start out with, but something they will not outgrow anytime soon, while getting the most bang for the buck. There are a number of good choices out there, I just hope to give them a fairly informed choice. I could go on etc. etc., I will only add that so far, I have not found any good information about it anywhere. The one video put out by Garrett was as sad as the one Minelab put on the Vanquish.

https://garrett.com/sport/ace/apex

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash, liked your most recent post here. That 74 khz on my XP Deus just scored 12 Civil War buttons in a hunted out site running that HF coil. Every machine known to God and man has been on this spot. Since the 1960's. I am the CAT!

Last edited:

EmeRgency7

Mar 22, 2020
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
10" MAGNUM Coil
Garrett Ace APEX (COMING SOON!!)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just preordered one. The Hoover boys are doing a review of it next week!
Not sure if it’s entry level, being the price and complexity. They say it’s nothing like the other ace machines...

michealwhelan

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2020
Traverse City, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE APEX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right about the APEX, newbies will order it, I did! What I like is the multi freq 5, 10, 15, and 20 selectable plus the Multi Freq and Salt Multi Freq use those plus a few higher ones. Those are not selectable individually but they are there and in use when on MF or MFS. I travel a wide range of soil types and beach types so I see the MF and MFS a big plus. The Iron audio should be a real plus. That was always a distraction on my "very old" White Coin Master. As for yellow box... love it , easy to see in the woods, and I really wouldn't care if they made it purple. Not into fashion. I made the leap due to weight, MF, MFS and visual and audio and ol' guy can work with. Now if it would just hurry up and ship....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the videos I've seen about the Apex look to be Garrett promotional propaganda. Let's see some unbiased head to head comparisons......both against other Garrett machines and other detectors in their class.

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mark....if we see in the next few months what was proposed...there won't be a need. :)

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice entry level machine...but minelab has already done it with the Vanquish. Plus look at coil selection on the Vanquish. Nice to see Garrett coming into 2020 ...Here is the kicker their cheap detector has a iron audio now and their top tiers dont.... I wish they would have competed with the Equinox ....

Unless I am mistaken calabash, the Garrett can be switched into 3 different single Freq's, where the Minelab Vanquish can not. A small thing really, but still, options like that are nice to have IF you choose to use them. Am I mistaken? about the Vanquish not being to do that, pretty sure I'm not, anyway, good to see Garett with this, my first detector was a Garrett A3B United States gold hunter, I run Minelabs now, but still have a little soft spot for Garretts, kind of like your very first date, but if asked to recommend a detector to a new user? I might point to the Apex over the Vanquish. Now, to everybody else, I'm not going against calabash, I believe that guy has forgotten more about detectors then I have yet to lean, and that's all I have to say about that.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the videos I've seen about the Apex look to be Garrett promotional propaganda. Let's see some unbiased head to head comparisons......both against other Garrett machines and other detectors in their class.

Well, haven't noticed them make the claim that it will obsolete all other detectors, so theres that ,,,

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Touché.

But still... that claim can still stand until it releases and tested.

[emoji848]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions