Garrett is back in the game with the Apex

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Garrett is back into the game!

1st it was a good way to reveal a new detector with everyone!

No threat to the Equinxox technically EXCEPT it will get tons of new detectorists into the Garrett family and they will likely be loyal to garret. By the time they need to upgrade from the Apex Garrett will have a competitor to the Equinox line.

It is a direct threat to the Vanquish and Simplex+.

Garrett has proved (to me at least) it is not conceding it's sport division.

plus he revealed that there have been more than 1,000,000 Ace detectors sold.

as a side note, their factory is back to 100% in Texas and they secured the Apex parts in advance of the virus striking America.

Will they add these improvements to the AT Pro line to extend it? I am pretty sure they will. Too many AT Pro users out there. You will have a waterproof Apex on the AT Pro line with re-chargable batteries and lighter.

The design is cool more like the Equinox control panel and I am sure the Viper coil will be a great hit.

rechargable battery, true ground balance, lighter than Vanquish.

price: $425 - $499 w/o wireless headphones
add $80 for wireless earphones.

Yes, Garrett is back into the game (did they ever leave?)

Existing Ace users will flock to the Apex, newbies will buy the Apex and stay with Garrett for years.

https://www.facebook.com/Garrettmetaldetectorsusa/

Upvote 0

Koalajones

Nov 10, 2019
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Radio shack detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Definitely looks interesting price is vary nice :headbang: cant wait for everything to get back to normal

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still haven't seen an actual release date yet, just that there will be one soon. I haven't see any ads on the detector sites yet either. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough!

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still haven't seen an actual release date yet, just that there will be one soon. I haven't see any ads on the detector sites yet either. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough!

Around two month from now, on the 26th of July, according to the presentation.

I would really like to see how all these new detectors actually performs in terrain.

mattdan0831

Apr 5, 2019
Springville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whenever Garrett decides to get Apex to market will be months or even years ahead of the Cygnus unicorn. Haven't seen anything on that mystical creature since early April..

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice entry level machine...but minelab has already done it with the Vanquish. Plus look at coil selection on the Vanquish. Nice to see Garrett coming into 2020 ...Here is the kicker their cheap detector has a iron audio now and their top tiers dont.... I wish they would have competed with the Equinox ....

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure hope there’s an Apex AT in the future

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash is correct, it is an entry level machine. With a maximum of 20 khz they missed that boat. My antique Tesoro Lobo was about 20 khz. I get more stuff at frequencies WAY higher than that. Even multi probably make much of difference as most known spots have been hit with all the lower frequencies.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever Garrett decides to get Apex to market will be months or even years ahead of the Cygnus unicorn. Haven't seen anything on that mystical creature since early April..

I don't know how you could possibly know that for sure. Cygnus isn't trying to be an entry level detector, nor is it trying to compete with any other detector specifically. If Cygnus does what we hope it will do, it will far surpass anything the Apex will bring to the hobby.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Calabash is correct, it is an entry level machine. With a maximum of 20 khz they missed that boat. My antique Tesoro Lobo was about 20 khz. I get more stuff at frequencies WAY higher than that. Even multi probably make much of difference as most known spots have been hit with all the lower frequencies.

Interesting. Do multi-frequency detectors tell you which frequency your target responded to?

I ask because I've never owned one. My F-75 can use five to suit conditions, but just one at a time.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Garrett finally did true multi frequency. Way to go Garrett! Next will be the AT series with true multi and fully water proof.

Lucio21

Greenie
May 15, 2020
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Se Ltd.
Fisher CZ3D
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is a good thing, although they are continuing the ugly yellow plastic. I actually might buy this one. Does anyone know if that purple haired gal is still associated with Garrett? If not, I will order one asap!

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is a good thing, although they are continuing the ugly yellow plastic. I actually might buy this one. Does anyone know if that purple haired gal is still associated with Garrett? If not, I will order one asap!

Are you referring to Jocelyn? What does she have to do with you ordering one or not?

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the purple haired lady is still promoting their products. Relic recoverist if memory serves.

Lucio21

Greenie
May 15, 2020
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Se Ltd.
Fisher CZ3D
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All we need now is Nokta and FT to release multi frequency.

Chub

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Do multi-frequency detectors tell you which frequency your target responded to?

I ask because I've never owned one. My F-75 can use five to suit conditions, but just one at a time.

Choseing the right frequency for the designated task is an advantage, no doubt about it, but using 4 or more harmonics at the same thime is more or less the Unicorn among horses. A coil is a phisical device, no matter how many harmonics you feed it at the same thime, in or out of phase, you will always get a single interference picture. Non the less it seems to work best in commercial field, you just give the customer what he or she wants. Bottom line, the detection depth seems to be comparable among machines of similar class, regardless being multi or single frequency. What should be the difference is more accurate VDI from data obtained of many different frequencies, which, sadly, doesn't mach the reality either.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice entry level machine...but minelab has already done it with the Vanquish. Plus look at coil selection on the Vanquish. Nice to see Garrett coming into 2020 ...Here is the kicker their cheap detector has a iron audio now and their top tiers dont.... I wish they would have competed with the Equinox ....

Garrett is protecting its money tree Ace line. That is clear. We know that they can produce a waterproof detector look at the AT Pro. Now they have proved they can produce a multi-frequency detector and one with more features than the Vanquish 540. (I think Minelab made a mistake on the no ground balance feature and the Apex pointedly made that clear.

Kob I think the detector you and others are looking for will come later this year or spring 2021 and it will be the AT Pro Apex going head to head against the Equinox line.

I know Garrett has the ability and now I am pretty sure they have the will to do it. I was a long and hard critic of Garrett for not bringing the multi-frequency and other technologies of the Equinox to the market in their detectors. Now that has changed.

Winners will be Garrett and Minelab and losers? The other losers will be detector manufacturers who won't or cannot afford to upgrade their lines with the newer technology.

Since the modern metal detector is now based on microprocessors and signal processors many detector manufacturers will follow the Intel development model of product life cycles by making your own older models obsolete or let your competitors do it and let the competitors gain the new detector sales. Garrett is going to strongly defend their Ace line (1,000,000) units sold and also defend their popular AT Pro line with the AT Pro Apex at some near future date.

We are entering (or have enterered) into a interesting phase of new metal detector introductions.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I have the Nox 800 and when in Multi-IQ mode as far as I know there is no way as the user to know even what mixture of frequencies you are using. Some technical guys have put it on the scope and figured out what frequencies are used in different modes. But I don't remember what they were.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I feel that one of the advantages of multi-frequencies (giving better tones and TID) is somewhat nulled out in the Nox 800 by the Nox seeing every little bit of metal trash under the coil and altering the TID numbers. I think with the Vanquish 540 the Minelab engineers toned down the ability to see such small items and thus in my experience the 540 gives a better tone and stable TID. Of course on the Nox it is easy to de-tune the detector to avoid some of that small stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread