Options for River and Lake Hunting

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
AT pro, and soon to arrive any day..the Xp Orx. I’ve never gone below 10’ of water when hunting. Neck deep is the deepest I hunt. May eventually add scuba to the hobby in the future but for now I happy with hunting ankle to neck deep.

OP
OP
F

fieldsjoe89

Dec 27, 2014
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500,White's VX3, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking at the AT Pro just because of the price alone. I haven't tried water hunting, but as you mentioned, I doubt I will be doing anything below 10' at this point.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT pro is great in the water, keep in mind you have to buy $100+ waterproof headphones for it to get the most out of it and go neck deep - And its also kinda old tech, its a great detector [I have one] but I don't think its the best value for the $$ these days. If $$ is an issue the Simplex might be a good option, I have one of those too but haven't taken it for a dip yet, haven't heard any negative reports of being prone to leakage.
I never been past neck deep either, don't really want to and sure don't want to invest in scuba gear just to do that. There are some goodies past the swim line to be sure, "Scubadetector" used to find all kinds of goodies with a breath tank any everything, don't know if he still posts here or dives, but diving gear would be one helluva investment I'm guessing.

Water finds are on a track to be minimal this year, for obvious reasons.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater. Fresh and Salt. Waterproof to 100'. Electronics are in the headphones, so the shaft is lighter. 8 or 12" coil, I have the 8". Not interchangeable. Rechargeable @ 40hrs per charge. Love it.
From what I've heard, the ATPro isn't good in salt if beaches are an option.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you plan on doing any salt water hunting, take a look at the Equinox. It's better in just about every respect over the AT machines. In fresh water only, the AT's work fine too, but, if you have it in the budget, I'd get the Nox.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fresh water AT would work but she's getting a bit long in the tooth. I liked mine but it had a short and illustrious life. First time I used it I got two gold rings each worth $400 so it paid for itself the first outing. It was my lucky machine. I got a few more golds with it then it became wildly unstable and chatty. I sent it in for repairs. They said I needed a new coil. I fell for it, got the old machine back with a new coil and the same problem it had. So now its an above average cost paperweight with a new coil. I have a 15 yr old Minelab excal. My fav if you can stomach learning it. It crapped out after a long and successful life. I sent it in for repairs a few times, they too said it was the coil. It wasn't. Now it too is a large and cumbersome paperweight with a new coil. Moral of the story. Buy something that you won't have to send in and repair. I'll let you know when I find it. I have the Nox but the shaft is loose and wobbly. Luckily the unit still works so its tolerable but I think the shaft would make a good paperweight.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy, get one of Steve's rods to upgrade your Nox. They work great!

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve done river hunting with the simplex it performs great plus you don’t need waterproof headphones, it has vibration and backlights so you can see it underwater

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach and Shallow Water
ask the water guys
I use a CZ21 - little pricey for you to start with unless you can get lucky and get a used one cheap
i used to hit lots of fresh water lakes and ponds - mostly hit saltwater now - i have done a few rivers
would like to do more of them
attachment.php

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 hunts at river spot above - small country spot
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

OP
OP
F

fieldsjoe89

Dec 27, 2014
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500,White's VX3, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the replies. It definitely gives me more insight. I’ve never attempted water hunting, but have some great fresh water places to try. I won’t have much opportunity to salt water hunt, but wouldn’t mind a device that can do both.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve done river hunting with the simplex it performs great plus you don’t need waterproof headphones, it has vibration and backlights so you can see it underwater

Vibration may be better than nothing, or essential if you are deaf, but would not be my preferred way to detect. You'd essentially be in all metal mode with no pinpoint, like a throwback to the 70's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions