Beginner here, looking for a recommendation!

Size

May 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all-
I’m looking to pick up my first metal detector, and was hoping someone could give me some catered advice as to which one I should invest in.

$1000 is my budget, and “depth” would probably be the most important aspect for me. How deep do standard devices detect to? I would probably pay more for something that has a deeper range.

I plan to do most of my detecting near rivers and fields, and would like it to be able to work underwater to some extent.

Learning curve isn’t an issue as I’ll have plenty of time to learn it.

Thank you in advance!

KB

Upvote 0

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you're looking for a waterproof all around detector. For less than $1,000, I think the absolute best detector to check those boxes is the Minelab Equinox 800.
$899
Waterproof
Multi Frequency
Wireless headphones
Rechargeable battery
and much more

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd look into the Simplex, competitive with nox 1/3 the price. Use the savings for accessories, pinpointer [$125] quality shovel $90] sand scoop maybe [$50-$200]

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Equinox 800 is a beast of a machine, I personally have never used a turkey turd (nokta) but also would never recommend one either... I alot of youtubers got free turkey turds and talk them up to great machines for a few weeks but I dont see much on them now.... almost like a fart in the wind

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Simplex is a very good detector especially for the money and for a beginner. Unlike the previous poster, I have used many of Nokta Makros detectors and they are outstanding for the most part. They have great features and are solidly built. They also have a USA based service center.

The Simplex is not an Equinox 800 however. The Simplex can compete with the Equinox for the first 6" of depth in normal dirt. Past the first 6" you get what you pay for. Some detectors (I will change that to most detectors) will give you a decent tone (if you are in one or two tone operation) and have really jumpy target ID numbers, the wrong numbers or no target ID numbers at all past 6" or so. The deep target may also give numbers and tones for a high conductor instead of a low conductor if the target is maybe a US nickel. So, getting a detector to respond to a 12" deep coin sized target is one thing. If you have them set up right and have a big enough coil, the NokMak Simplex, NokMak Kruzer, NokMak Anfibio, Garrett AT series, Whites MX Sport or Minelab Equinox with 11" or bigger coils, will give you a chance of hitting that coin. The difference is that the Equinox will very likely hit it and tell you whether it is a low conductor, mid conductor or high conductor. It might even ID it exactly. Most detectors in the fully waterproof, less than $1000 price range, with decent just past the diameter of the coil depth ability, will not do that, especially in moderate to mineralized dirt or at salt water beaches. That is what separates the Equinox 800 and the Equinox 600 from the rest in that category.

Jeff

Last edited:

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if depth is important you shuld know with any VLF you are looking at 0,5m max.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been detecting nearly 2 decades, am here to tell you the simplex is not made for beginners.
Hands down though, for a beginner, it is superior because the $500 savings can be put into much needed accessories and because its easier to learn. And yes, I have them both unlike most who get all fired up thinking I am trashing their love interest.

Props Master

Apr 30, 2020
Decatur, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just posted and asked the same questions last month. After months of research before that I ended up buying the 800. Check out posts on my threads for the info. I’m still learning it and will be for some time I’m guessing. But already I’ve found some really cool things in the last 2 weeks of owning it. Even today on an old volleyball court I dug down about 14” ( 8 “ of that was sand) the rest Solid red clay on a super strong signal in beach setting. Yesterday I found a bronze medallion with about the same signal. So it’s finding things deep. Again I’m a complete novice with the 800 so do your own research of coarse. I mainly got mine to look for gold and haven’t got to go out with it for that yet. Only places close to home.
Just another FYI, I ended up buying from Serious Detecting. They have some great package deals in my opinion. The full kit with shovel, knife
, bag, belt with hip bag ( very helpfull) Wireless headphones, ( that’s a huge plus for the 800) and the Pinpointer. ( honestly I have no clue how we found anything before the Pinpointer. What ever you buy get a GOOD pointer. You will never regret that. ) all in was just at $1000
Let’s us know what you end up with and Good Luck! 74745EE3-34ED-485E-91EA-78FAC9AA0FA1.jpeg
This was that tiny target 14” down.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Any chance you can rent before you buy? I'd be willing to bet that 95% of people that think they want to metal detect quit after one or two outings due to all the trash that is dug.
Yes, people do drop valuables, but they drop a whole lot more trash.
We used to have a local detector shop that you could rent for the day. Just a thought.

If you are ready to buy, maybe the EQ600 with some good accessories. Should be pretty easy to resell if the hobby turns out to be not you.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A note on deepness, and this is my personal observation, mileage may vary - It is not common [I hesitate to say rare] to find coins 8+" deep. Sure it happens and I know everyone can point me to youtube videos with ultra deep finds, but in reality, its not going to happen very often. When it does, it will most likely be a sketchy signal no matter what detector you are using, depending on the size of the coin of course, and its position in the ground. I found an 1835 large cent the other day for example, was only about 5" down but not a good signal it was weak and mixed with iron, something I ordinarily might not have dug, but I did since this was an area known to produce goodies. The coin was on edge was why it wasn't producing a good signal, so if you have a coin on edge at 10", odds are you will never know it was there.

It takes experience to find deep coins, normally for coin shooting you look
[listen] for high tones and a good repeating signal, but as they get further away from the coil [deeper], the detector struggles to produce a usable signal. It will be broken, faint, repeats sometimes others not, target id all over the place so forget about that, and a weak pinpoint, if one at all - So these are just the types of clues you would want if you are seeking deep, and its take time with the machine to get good at it. Often you will find yourself chasing phantoms, no target recovery. Often it will be iron "Iron, what ? I thought it was supposed to ignore iron ??" In theory yes, but not in reality. Iron can and does ring up good at times no matter what detector you are using, and because of its mass, you can find them deep.
Sometimes iron and a coin will be side by side deep, adding new challenges. But its been my experience most coins are 8" and less deep, those deeper an experienced detector has a challenge to find, those without experience almost no chance without regards to what machine you are using. My only advice really for anyone beginner or pro seeking deep is swing slow and listen. Forget about target id, forget about a mad rush to cover as much ground as possible in little time. If you swing fast I guarantee I would follow in your footsteps and show you what you missed - I have literally done this many times, I did it just the other day with holes all around from guys digging, and I pull out things they never knew were there because they were in a rush and were only digging signals that rang out like a cow bell.

And finally, be careful what you wish for, have you ever dug a hole 12" straight into the ground ? Some soil types it is all but impossible, hard baked clay, rocky soil for instance, especially with hot weather coming on.

Last edited:

Lucio21

Greenie
May 15, 2020
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Se Ltd.
Fisher CZ3D
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think depth depends on so many variables there could be a ton of different answers. The most important thing is to really learn whichever you decide on. I use a T2 Se. and clean up after Etracs, Equinox and others. Reason? A lot of people think just because they spend that much money that that is all they have to do. They cherry pick the easy stuff and then call the site hunted out. They leave their detectors in factory mode. While bragging about all the bells and whistles they paid a premium for.

There really is no right answer. The zombies who worship any particular brand will push that as if it is the only answer, I would check out articles and if you can stand it, videos on youtube. I would stay away from the videos with commenting turned off. Those are posted by cowards who can't back up all the trashing of other machines they do in their videos.

If I were buying a new detector right now I would get the Simplex just because of the value. It will do darn near what the really high dollar machines do and you will have extra $$ left over for accessories.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with most of what you say Lucio - People have to remember, a metal detector is only a tool ,, And the most important dynamic of tool use is the person operating it, no exceptions. Finding deep coins is really an artform and, short of blind luck, requires research, skill, persistence and only then, a machine to sniff them out. Trying to wing it out of the box determined to find a seated dime at 10" is all but impossible and will only lead to frustration and disillusion - So setting expectations realistically early on is important IMO. That said, I have found modern coins deep, I have found old coins shallow, there is no pat formula that works with every situation ,, Part of which, to me, makes this a rewarding, exciting hobby.

Simplex is an impressive machine, in fact I own the much ballyhooed Equinox but haven't had the time to mess with it much I have been finding so much with the Simplex, so I'll reserve judgement on that. If I was just starting out, knowing what I know now, I'd for sure rather have a simplex, pinpointer, shovel and a scoop rather than a Nox. In fact, I would right now.

whyired

Greenie
May 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the same situation as you, I was recently looking to get a new detector for primarily hunting lakes and rivers, etc. I sold my old Minelab to help cover the costs.

I went the simplex route for the same reason mentioned above. Overall, in most situations it's going to perform very close to dectors that cost 2-3x as much.

In doing so I was able to budget a great pinpointer, a lesche sampson shovel, a fantastic sand scoop from RTG, a good backpack, a floating sifter, some waders, etc.

On the whole, having the right tools and gear will create a much better detecting experience then had I spent most of my budget on a nox. Ease of recovery and speed of recovery make a big difference.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Floating sifters are cool, I made one a few years back, really comes in handy

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome,

After "detectoring" on/off for thirty years (ghaa has it been that long) I'd like to think I learned a thing I learned a thing or two:

Research! Research! Research! (detectors, locations, techniques)

Cost does not equal depth of detection (No matter what a manufacture says!)

Use a detector that fits you, don't fit yourself into a detector.

The Laws of Physics prevail! The science behind producing an electromagnetic field and inducing a current into a target hasn't changed, only the bells and whistles for interpreting that signal has.

Practice patience!

Ermal C. Fraze is laughing at us from his grave!

Yeah, I just found a 1941 Wheat at 8 inches with a 20 year old detector I bought used, at a place that I've hunted with numerous high (and low) end detectors. I usually let the guts with the $1000 detectors go first, then clean up behind then.

Brian

Placermaster

Greenie
May 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey dude the best beginner detector is a tesoro vawuero. Was v.p. of eureka treasure hunters club in denver and sound signal recognition makes you a master. What you hear is what you get. Its all sound with detectors. 60 year old tells it. Tesoro to start. Buy flags from home depot for marking hits. Then dig hits . You will learn what sounds are worth digging. Tesoro are worth their weight in gold!!!!!

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .:hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread