Post-hole digger for coin hunting?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Post-hole digger for coin hunting?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2012
    Florida
    Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign (original), Fisher 1280-X, Garrett Master Hunter BFO, Aquapulse.
    90 times
    Metal Detecting

Anyone here ever contemplated that? Just like the full-sized ones
    at the hardware store only scaled down for coinshooting. Say, maybe 3-inch wide
    blades with handles about 14 or 16 inches long. I find that for recovery at over
    less-than-easy depths (3 inches or so) after carefully folding back the "plug" if I
    have to go deeper in the now exposed hole I have a tendency to "lever" the dirt
    with my trowel to get it up and out.....sometimes this action scratches the coin.
    One always has the option of scooping deeper with a bare hand, but sometimes
    the dirt is packed enough to require a tool to loosen it and there is always the risk
    of cutting a finger on something sharp. A "mini" post-hole digger would penetrate
    straight down and allow removing the soil without levering the metal tool. Seems
    like this would reduce the chance of scratching the coin while also keeping the
    overall hole diameter small.
    What do you think? A reasonably good/novel idea or am I just being ridiculous?
    A2coins and Honest Samuel like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    42153 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Seems like alot more work plus if your at a park or something people might complain that you tearing up the place I think it would be overkill and kind of a pain to lug around. Just me but could work great for someone else.......Tommy
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 2186 Wheaties
    2491 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    I agree with A2coins. I have been as deep as 14 inches with my digger tool.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Digging Tool.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	1835852
    When I do this, I spread an 18 inch square canvas tarp that I carry folded in my pouch to place dirt on to avoid a mess.
    ecmo, Dyemaniacal, SD51 and 3 others like this.

us
    Dec 2007
    CT
    Whites MXT, DetectorPro HH Underwater
    1377 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I've thought about a Golf Green Hole Cutter. Probably wouldn't work in our rocky soil though. I'll stay with my digger and cut a horseshoe plug.
    A2coins and SD51 like this.
    Oldest Coin Finds to Date
    1737-1760 KGII Hibernia Half Cent ('10)
    1787 Fugio Large Cent ('15)
    1869 Two Cent ('09)
    1867-1883 Variety I Sheild Nickel ('09)
    1900 Barber Dime ('13)
    1929 Standing Liberty Quarter ('17)
    1944 Walking Liberty Half Dollar ('09)

You could get a plastic trowel to use once you open the hole to avoid damage.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jan 2014
    Utah
    275 times
    Maybe out in mountains or farm land if light weight but Iíll stick with my lesche Sampson and lesche knife.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Just another Guy In Back

Feb 2007
    North Central Florida
    CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
    8552 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member, Deliverer of World Peace
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Waaaay to much work lugging a post hole digger around, unless you have a cooperative caddy following you around.
    A2coins and gunsil like this.
    Get up late... Start slow... Taper off early...

I am a second level vegetarian. Cow's eat grass. I eat cows.

Half of everything I do today will be wrong. I just don't know which half yet.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
    35086 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    A Model 31 C hand digger can be used for deeper and shallow targets. With a little bit of practice you will leave no trace, a must for our hobby in schools and parks.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9185 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I think a post hole digger would be just as likely to damage a target as any other method....maybe more since you would be slamming it in to the ground. If you were off a bit in your pin pointing and nailed the target, you could severely bend it or cut it in two. In a park, school, or other turfed area, the main problem would be the complete circle plug you would be removing. It's pretty much standard practice these days to cut a three sided plug so that some of the roots stay attached to the soil for faster recovery and less of a chance of the plug being sucked up by a lawn mower or removed by an animal or curious child. Same goes for a golf hole plugger in most cases. Better to cut a trap door plug and use a good pin pointer to zero in on the item without much chance of hitting it with a tool.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Jul 2010
    438 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    I think a post hole digger would be just as likely to damage a target as any other method....maybe more since you would be slamming it in to the ground. If you were off a bit in your pin pointing and nailed the target, you could severely bend it or cut it in two. In a park, school, or other turfed area, the main problem would be the complete circle plug you would be removing. It's pretty much standard practice these days to cut a three sided plug so that some of the roots stay attached to the soil for faster recovery and less of a chance of the plug being sucked up by a lawn mower or removed by an animal or curious child. Same goes for a golf hole plugger in most cases. Better to cut a trap door plug and use a good pin pointer to zero in on the item without much chance of hitting it with a tool.
    My thoughts as well. A friend just getting into the hobby, feels a need to hack at the ground with his Sampson, instead of simply digging. A piece of jewelry will be damaged soon or later.
    bowwinkles and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2012
    Florida
    Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign (original), Fisher 1280-X, Garrett Master Hunter BFO, Aquapulse.
    90 times
    Metal Detecting
    OK....thanks for all the input boys & girls!
    Just to clear up some points from my original post....1) as stated, the device would be scaled way down for coin-hunting use. So no "caddy" to carry
    it would be needed. Shouldn't weigh any more than a Raptor trowel......2) as stated, it would be applied AFTER cutting a 3 sided plug...so no full-circle
    cuts like a golf hole digger.
    Although not originally mentioned.....the dirt removed would , of course, be deposited on or into a controlled surface for 100% reentry into the hole. (I use
    a modified kids traffic-style cone they use for marking lawn games. It's small, light, plastic, solid at the small end, and already shaped for perfect pouring of
    soil back into the hole).
    Just an idea.....to me, seems like a way to penetrate down vertically for a deeper target in places where large diameter holes are not practical and trowels or
    knives cannot be "levered" to get the dirt out, thus requiring sticking that hand in to scoop......ouch. There is always the chance of scratching a coin when a metal tool
    is used for recovery (that's why I never use a probe), I just feel the chance would be reduced by not having to "lever" the trowel or Lesche-style knife in the hole
    to get the dirt/target up and out. A tough plastic/composite trowel may be another good idea BUT would still require that inefficient "levering" action or, once again, fingers
    in the hole. I sure would like to try it, but neither Home Depot nor Lowes carries what i'm envisioning!
    As I alluded to in my original post, I may just be being ridiculous

us
    Apr 2019
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Garrett Ace 400
    27 times
    I like to go slow when i dig a hole. Leave good plugs and take my time because you never know what you will find. Rather take time an not damage what im diging.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    4504 times
    pyrogort, no need to try to re-invent the wheel. People have been doing fine with hunting knives, screwdrivers, and trowels for over fifty years of detecting. One needs only to get their pinpointing down to an art and one will not damage coins. I have no problem "levering" dirt out to ten inches with my Kellyco gator digger or my old cheap Imperial hunting knife and I haven't damaged a coin in over forty years. Pinpoint, pinpoint, pinpoint, learn it. I also just take off the top of the soil and dig with bare hands deeper where possible, not going to damage anything with fingers. And don't get me going about getting fingers hurt, cut, or poked, It has never happened in fifty years of hunting. You can feel glass and sharp objects before you actually put enough pressure on them to get hurt. I don't need more than a 3" diameter hole to recover coins down to 8", and a 4" hole to go to 10-12". Pinpoint, pinpoint, pinpoint.
    Kray Gelder and ecmo like this.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    Don

Feb 2016
    Missouri
    macro racer 2, whites mx5, trx pinpointer
    1189 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsil View Post
    pyrogort, no need to try to re-invent the wheel. People have been doing fine with hunting knives, screwdrivers, and trowels for over fifty years of detecting. One needs only to get their pinpointing down to an art and one will not damage coins. I have no problem "levering" dirt out to ten inches with my Kellyco gator digger or my old cheap Imperial hunting knife and I haven't damaged a coin in over forty years. Pinpoint, pinpoint, pinpoint, learn it. I also just take off the top of the soil and dig with bare hands deeper where possible, not going to damage anything with fingers. And don't get me going about getting fingers hurt, cut, or poked, It has never happened in fifty years of hunting. You can feel glass and sharp objects before you actually put enough pressure on them to get hurt. I don't need more than a 3" diameter hole to recover coins down to 8", and a 4" hole to go to 10-12". Pinpoint, pinpoint, pinpoint.
    Exactly, well stated about cuts, pinpointing, and all the rest. Yes I did put a bad owey on one coin once and it was a very nice bucket lister to boot.
    gunsil likes this.

Jul 2014
    126 times

I am going against the crowd here and think your idea may have merit. A well designed "modified" post hole type digger could be quit innovative. Downsized, collapsible, maybe even non metallic, could be the digging tool of the future. Add to that perforated and you could have a beach tool!
    Last edited by Sandancer; May 25, 2020 at 08:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links