Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign (original),
Fisher 1280-X, Garrett Master Hunter BFO,
Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone here ever contemplated that? Just like the full-sized ones
at the hardware store only scaled down for coinshooting. Say, maybe 3-inch wide
blades with handles about 14 or 16 inches long. I find that for recovery at over
less-than-easy depths (3 inches or so) after carefully folding back the "plug" if I
have to go deeper in the now exposed hole I have a tendency to "lever" the dirt
with my trowel to get it up and out.....sometimes this action scratches the coin.
One always has the option of scooping deeper with a bare hand, but sometimes
the dirt is packed enough to require a tool to loosen it and there is always the risk
of cutting a finger on something sharp. A "mini" post-hole digger would penetrate
straight down and allow removing the soil without levering the metal tool. Seems
like this would reduce the chance of scratching the coin while also keeping the
overall hole diameter small.
What do you think? A reasonably good/novel idea or am I just being ridiculous?

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like alot more work plus if your at a park or something people might complain that you tearing up the place I think it would be overkill and kind of a pain to lug around. Just me but could work great for someone else.......Tommy

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with A2coins. I have been as deep as 14 inches with my digger tool.
Digging Tool.jpg
When I do this, I spread an 18 inch square canvas tarp that I carry folded in my pouch to place dirt on to avoid a mess.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about a Golf Green Hole Cutter. Probably wouldn't work in our rocky soil though. I'll stay with my digger and cut a horseshoe plug.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could get a plastic trowel to use once you open the hole to avoid damage.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe out in mountains or farm land if light weight but I’ll stick with my lesche Sampson and lesche knife.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Waaaay to much work lugging a post hole digger around, unless you have a cooperative caddy following you around.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A Model 31 C hand digger can be used for deeper and shallow targets. With a little bit of practice you will leave no trace, a must for our hobby in schools and parks. :icon_thumleft:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a post hole digger would be just as likely to damage a target as any other method....maybe more since you would be slamming it in to the ground. If you were off a bit in your pin pointing and nailed the target, you could severely bend it or cut it in two. In a park, school, or other turfed area, the main problem would be the complete circle plug you would be removing. It's pretty much standard practice these days to cut a three sided plug so that some of the roots stay attached to the soil for faster recovery and less of a chance of the plug being sucked up by a lawn mower or removed by an animal or curious child. Same goes for a golf hole plugger in most cases. Better to cut a trap door plug and use a good pin pointer to zero in on the item without much chance of hitting it with a tool.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I think a post hole digger would be just as likely to damage a target as any other method....maybe more since you would be slamming it in to the ground. If you were off a bit in your pin pointing and nailed the target, you could severely bend it or cut it in two. In a park, school, or other turfed area, the main problem would be the complete circle plug you would be removing. It's pretty much standard practice these days to cut a three sided plug so that some of the roots stay attached to the soil for faster recovery and less of a chance of the plug being sucked up by a lawn mower or removed by an animal or curious child. Same goes for a golf hole plugger in most cases. Better to cut a trap door plug and use a good pin pointer to zero in on the item without much chance of hitting it with a tool.

My thoughts as well. A friend just getting into the hobby, feels a need to hack at the ground with his Sampson, instead of simply digging. A piece of jewelry will be damaged soon or later.

OP
OP
P

pyrogort

Jan 19, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK....thanks for all the input boys & girls!
Just to clear up some points from my original post....1) as stated, the device would be scaled way down for coin-hunting use. So no "caddy" to carry
it would be needed. Shouldn't weigh any more than a Raptor trowel......2) as stated, it would be applied AFTER cutting a 3 sided plug...so no full-circle
cuts like a golf hole digger.
Although not originally mentioned.....the dirt removed would , of course, be deposited on or into a controlled surface for 100% reentry into the hole. (I use
a modified kids traffic-style cone they use for marking lawn games. It's small, light, plastic, solid at the small end, and already shaped for perfect pouring of
soil back into the hole).
Just an idea.....to me, seems like a way to penetrate down vertically for a deeper target in places where large diameter holes are not practical and trowels or
knives cannot be "levered" to get the dirt out, thus requiring sticking that hand in to scoop......ouch. There is always the chance of scratching a coin when a metal tool
is used for recovery (that's why I never use a probe), I just feel the chance would be reduced by not having to "lever" the trowel or Lesche-style knife in the hole
to get the dirt/target up and out. A tough plastic/composite trowel may be another good idea BUT would still require that inefficient "levering" action or, once again, fingers
in the hole. I sure would like to try it, but neither Home Depot nor Lowes carries what i'm envisioning!
As I alluded to in my original post, I may just be being ridiculous:laughing7:

BigRay

Apr 21, 2019
Northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to go slow when i dig a hole. Leave good plugs and take my time because you never know what you will find. Rather take time an not damage what im diging.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pyrogort, no need to try to re-invent the wheel. People have been doing fine with hunting knives, screwdrivers, and trowels for over fifty years of detecting. One needs only to get their pinpointing down to an art and one will not damage coins. I have no problem "levering" dirt out to ten inches with my Kellyco gator digger or my old cheap Imperial hunting knife and I haven't damaged a coin in over forty years. Pinpoint, pinpoint, pinpoint, learn it. I also just take off the top of the soil and dig with bare hands deeper where possible, not going to damage anything with fingers. And don't get me going about getting fingers hurt, cut, or poked, It has never happened in fifty years of hunting. You can feel glass and sharp objects before you actually put enough pressure on them to get hurt. I don't need more than a 3" diameter hole to recover coins down to 8", and a 4" hole to go to 10-12". Pinpoint, pinpoint, pinpoint.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pyrogort, no need to try to re-invent the wheel. People have been doing fine with hunting knives, screwdrivers, and trowels for over fifty years of detecting. One needs only to get their pinpointing down to an art and one will not damage coins. I have no problem "levering" dirt out to ten inches with my Kellyco gator digger or my old cheap Imperial hunting knife and I haven't damaged a coin in over forty years. Pinpoint, pinpoint, pinpoint, learn it. I also just take off the top of the soil and dig with bare hands deeper where possible, not going to damage anything with fingers. And don't get me going about getting fingers hurt, cut, or poked, It has never happened in fifty years of hunting. You can feel glass and sharp objects before you actually put enough pressure on them to get hurt. I don't need more than a 3" diameter hole to recover coins down to 8", and a 4" hole to go to 10-12". Pinpoint, pinpoint, pinpoint.
Exactly, well stated about cuts, pinpointing, and all the rest. Yes I did put a bad owey on one coin once and it was a very nice bucket lister to boot.

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
I am going against the crowd here and think your idea may have merit. A well designed "modified" post hole type digger could be quit innovative. Downsized, collapsible, maybe even non metallic, could be the digging tool of the future. Add to that perforated and you could have a beach tool!

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pyrogort

Jan 19, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Again, thanks for all the input!
Wow Gunsil......no scratched coin in 40 years! I'd really like to watch how you do it as I can't even come close
to your record. Conceptually, i can't grasp how one can bring dirt up from the bottom of an 8-inch deep hole that is is only
3 inches in top diameter without using the hand to scoop it up. Trying to "lever" the bottom dirt under & up one side of the
hole is where (i think for me) the damage danger comes in. Pinpointing accuracy is of major importance of course but one is
only human!
And thank you Sandancer for considering the idea. Another "spark" came to my mind......what if we made the mini-post digger
blades out of that tough carbon-composite fiber some trowels consist of? No scratch there....
I also worried about cost, but then saw what some people are willing to pay for an Xtreme-brand sand scoop....whoa!:tongue3:

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And thank you Sandancer for considering the idea. Another "spark" came to my mind......what if we made the mini-post digger
blades out of that tough carbon-composite fiber some trowels consist of? No scratch there....
I also worried about cost, but then saw what some people are willing to pay for an Xtreme-brand sand scoop....whoa!:tongue3:[/QUOTE]

A carbon fiber trowel is a great idea.....but still need the knife to cut the small circular plug. All depends on the ground one is digging in....will justify the correct tool to use. Those 18 inch Samsons or a Leshche 40 would be ideal if you need to go deeper.....but some places I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing those tools into. Right now using a Premium Makro blade digging tool. And using concentric coils on detectors for city digging is preferred to those DD coils to get the holes smaller if you need to worry about hole size.

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try a landscape plugger , some are for sod plugs others for planning bulbs, some you stomp on like a shovel some you just use your hand. If you pinpoint well, those may work for you.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about this bad boy, get down 3 ft in no time flat !

Attachments

• lithium_40v_auger_hero.jpg
    lithium_40v_auger_hero.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 52

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions