Upvote 0

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Simplex is a great machine! I recommend you learn how to use it (inside and out), then ask yourself if you want to fork over $900 for a Nox 800.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody knows how the Apex will perform in the field. It will really have to be great to come close to the Nox 800 in performance, otherwise you'll just end up with two middle of the road performers. Kind of like buying a wheelbarrow and a wagon when you really wanted or needed a dump truck. Once you get the Nox 800, you won't want to use two inferior detectors in its place. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Simplex+ and what it offers FOR THE MONEY but, like the saying goes "You get what you pay for"

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skateblade

Greenie
Jan 22, 2014
New York
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250 Simplex +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, I've already nixed the Nox..... it can't offer me more than the Simplex ....after reading all the reviews ....I think this machine is the REAL deal......not only for the $$$ but for build quality ,being able to get updates ,and I think a very savvy company behind it. I was just wondering what more the Apex had to offer when it premiers . I was going to drop the cash on the 800 anyway ! Maybe a backup ... I don't know.....For what it's worth and what i,ve read and according to my style the Simplex beats the 800 hands down ....of course I haven't used it yet but every review ranks it over the moon ? When I come to my senses i'll probably realise it will be foolish and redundant ....but who knows....I might just end up with two great detectors for the price of one !!!!! Pete

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just got my nox 800 last week and it has impressed me already. had the ace 250 for 3 years. i did the research too. apex looks good but not waterproof. I plan to get in the water this year. wanted a machine i can learn amd grow with for years to come.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, I've already nixed the Nox..... it can't offer me more than the Simplex ....after reading all the reviews ....I think this machine is the REAL deal......not only for the $$$ but for build quality ,being able to get updates ,and I think a very savvy company behind it. I was just wondering what more the Apex had to offer when it premiers . I was going to drop the cash on the 800 anyway ! Maybe a backup ... I don't know.....For what it's worth and what i,ve read and according to my style the Simplex beats the 800 hands down ....of course I haven't used it yet but every review ranks it over the moon ? When I come to my senses i'll probably realise it will be foolish and redundant ....but who knows....I might just end up with two great detectors for the price of one !!!!! Pete

No sense speculating too much on a machine that hasn't be released for sale yet.
It looks promising, first Garrett with mutli freq is its most notable selling point. It looks great, and made in the USA, big factors for me but I'll wait a bit before pulling the trigger. I don't care about waterproof for this one, been hearing some gripes that the Nox isn't all that waterproof, don't know about the Simplex. I have both but haven't dunked either yet.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure youll see lots of reviews and videos about the Simplex and thats mostly because they are sponsoring people,4 months ago or so they gave a bunch to youtube people just for people like you to see.... wont catch me swinging a turkey turd dont care how much it cost.. stick with what you got

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m not sponsored by nokta but the simplex is a great machine hits coins DEEP

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simplex is absolutely no joke, most guys who slam it have never even laid their hands on it [but they have seen youtube videos !] - Probably see a lost Nox sale with every one.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay with what you have. My priciest relic ever was found with a $329.00 machine. Learn it, it should do fine for you. The grass is only greener on the other side of the fence when it's growing over a septic tank! Remember Erma Bombeck? Great writer and humorist.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't comment on the Ace 250 never used one but I would say the Simplex is a very good machine - In terms of features its certainly on par with the Nox for half the price. In fact a lot of the small issue's I had with the Nox are not present on the Simplex. (Most of these issues were either personal preference or have now been fixed with updates from Minelab)

Probably the biggest thing for me is the audio and compressed VDI scale on Minelab just doesn't jive well with my ears. - Absolutely unrelated to performance

The Simplex lacks the stable VDI though IMO so for example a Dime at 8" on the NOX is going to read 26 and may jump 1 or 2 at most on the VDI on the Simplex at that depth it pretty much becomes a dig it all above 40 machine. Which is perfectly fine for Relic and Field hunting but not so great in trashy iron infested sites. (I actually think it was a mistake to put a large coil on the Simplex it might be an even better machine with a 9" coil and sacrifice some depth) Reactivity speed is also very good. I had similar issue with the NoX though seems like a lot of stuff falls in the 11-19 range and you can either choose to dig or pass it up.

With both the Whites machines I have owned and the ORX (my fav!) I can pretty much call an Indian by its VDI number and a nickel spot on - I'm still learning the Simplex but with the Nox I couldn't nail down the mid range on the Vdi scale (In hindsight from a coin shooter perspective I wish I had given it more time)

It remains to be seen what the Apex can do in the field but one thing we know for sure what ever issues it has when you get it your stuck with because no updates - I will probably give one a go just because I'm a sucker for anything new or old!

I'm not sure about owning them both though but its good to have a backup machine if your hunting several days a week.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't comment on the Ace 250 never used one but I would say the Simplex is a very good machine - In terms of features its certainly on par with the Nox for half the price. In fact a lot of the small issue's I had with the Nox are not present on the Simplex. (Most of these issues were either personal preference or have now been fixed with updates from Minelab)

Probably the biggest thing for me is the audio and compressed VDI scale on Minelab just doesn't jive well with my ears. - Absolutely unrelated to performance

The Simplex lacks the stable VDI though IMO so for example a Dime at 8" on the NOX is going to read 26 and may jump 1 or 2 at most on the VDI on the Simplex at that depth it pretty much becomes a dig it all above 40 machine. Which is perfectly fine for Relic and Field hunting but not so great in trashy iron infested sites. (I actually think it was a mistake to put a large coil on the Simplex it might be an even better machine with a 9" coil and sacrifice some depth) Reactivity speed is also very good. I had similar issue with the NoX though seems like a lot of stuff falls in the 11-19 range and you can either choose to dig or pass it up.

With both the Whites machines I have owned and the ORX (my fav!) I can pretty much call an Indian by its VDI number and a nickel spot on - I'm still learning the Simplex but with the Nox I couldn't nail down the mid range on the Vdi scale (In hindsight from a coin shooter perspective I wish I had given it more time)

It remains to be seen what the Apex can do in the field but one thing we know for sure what ever issues it has when you get it your stuck with because no updates - I will probably give one a go just because I'm a sucker for anything new or old!

I'm not sure about owning them both though but its good to have a backup machine if your hunting several days a week.

I agree the VDI on the Nox is not much better than nothing, also a weak shaft.
What makes you think the Apex won't be able to update ? I recall people saying the same thing about Nox before it came out.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was no mention that the Apex could be updated during the announcement conference and I don't believe there are any external ports to update it. (without sending back to factory)

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well simplex uses the charging port for updates, you would think Garrett could as well.

OP
OP
S

skateblade

Greenie
Jan 22, 2014
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the main reasons I got the Simplex was because of it's ability to receive updates ...... Had it not had that capability, it would just be a so so machine maybe ? But by adding all the latest upgrades .....it's right up there with the big boys I think ? I'm no expert ....but what I
hear and see leads me to make my choice ....we'll see ! As far as the Apex is concerned .....the jury is still out ....if it can't be updated I think Garrett will see some of their market share ebb towards the Simplex ? I like Garrett and hope it doesn't zig when it should be zaggin !
Pete

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I was a betting man, which I am, I would bet the Apex will be updateable.
If it isn't, then yes indeed, they will lose sales.

OP
OP
S

skateblade

Greenie
Jan 22, 2014
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Xray.....that little bug crawling around twice made me swipe at it !! ......I'm on to that little guy now ! lol

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My bug is notorious, been wreaking havoc for years

OP
OP
S

skateblade

Greenie
Jan 22, 2014
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was so mad today .....my Simplex was to be delivered by 9 this evening ......never showed up .....was due Thurs. but was pushed over till Fri. ....anyway ....couldn't fall asleep till I got mesmerized by that GD little bug doing figure 8's ......next thing I know 1 hour had passed......at least it served a purpose and I got some sleep albeit 1 hour !! Pete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread