First opportunity to detect part of an Indian Wars battlefield, seeking tips.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By BABALONGOGGLES
  • 2 Post By RustyGold
  • 2 Post By Coinboy
  • 2 Post By A2coins
  • 2 Post By smokeythecat
  • 1 Post By BABALONGOGGLES

Thread: First opportunity to detect part of an Indian Wars battlefield, seeking tips.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2020
    Eastern WA
    Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    121 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

First opportunity to detect part of an Indian Wars battlefield, seeking tips.

I was very lucky to get my first permission ever outside of family and friends. Oldest home previously was a 1911 home and didn't even find a wheat penny. The property is on part of the Four Lakes Battlefield in Eastern Washington (1858) and the owner told me he found a cannonball there. I don't know if I'll get more than one opportunity to detect it, but I want to make the most of my time while I'm there. The property borders a creek and appears to be mostly flatland. The home was built in 1914 and I'd welcome any coins from that era, but I'd really like to find some Indian War relics.

I'll be using the Simplex+, so any sort of info on VDIs for significant objects would be helpful. What sort of signs/landmarks should I look for? In rocky soil, assuming it hasn't been tilled or excavated, how deep should I reasonably expect to dig? Obviously there are many factors to consider, but would I absolutely need to get more than 7 inches of depth for coin-sized targets? Did soldiers even have coins with them on the battlefields (forgive me if that's a stupid question)? I am currently doing research now, but would appreciate any pertinent information.

I'm very excited, even though the property owner wants to split the findings 50/50. Not exactly sure what that means yet, but I'll take the opportunity anyways.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Jun 04, 2020 at 02:44 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Southern California
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus
    9422 times
    The owner wants half of anything found. Seems reasonable. Good luck!
    A2coins and BABALONGOGGLES like this.

“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
    – Albert Einstein

us
    Middle Schooler

Dec 2019
    Iowa
    Nokta Makro Simplex, Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
    389 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    On my YouTube channel I have a simplex VDI chart with lots of information it’s on a spreadsheet in the description.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu-vR9HK_ls
    BABALONGOGGLES and A2coins like this.
    Check out my YouTube Channel!-Coinboy Detecting and collecting! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFLxG6yeF6ejxaAUp6vpaow
    Winner of February 2020 Vaughan Garret's Favorite Finds for my 1754 2 Reales!
    “Today’s the day!”- Mel Fisher
    “It’s so much fun!”- Kurt from the Hoover Boys

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    41233 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Good luck and have fun.....Tommy
    Coinboy and RustyGold like this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member
    us
    Reg

May 2020
    San Jose, CA
    Tarsacci MDT 8000, Nokta Makro Simplex, Minelab E-Trac
    363 times
    Metal Detecting
    Never hunted sites that old, so no VDI numbers here. Good luck with your hunt!
    "The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future." Oscar Wilde

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30365 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Ok, first, get a firm understanding what "50/50" means. Is it flip a coin, winner gets first pick, loser 2nd and then repeat until all the items are gone? Or does it mean you lay out 50 items on a table, he picks the 25 he wants, you get what's left over? Something to think about.

Also, you will need to dig EVERYTHING. Plains Indians had iron arrowheads. Also brass ones. You must dig it all. No easy ways around this one. The brass and iron arrowheads are worth much more than most silver coins you would pull out of a site.
    BABALONGOGGLES and Mudflap like this.

us
    May 2020
    Teknetics T2 Se Ltd. Fisher CZ3D Minelab Etrac
    42 times
    For sure get the details of a 50/50 split before you even get in the car to drive there. It's fine to split finds but I have seen guys "split" the finds which means they walked away with all the trash they dug. We don't do this hobby for riches, but we also don't do it to waste time and gas.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    NOX899 ATpro
    5346 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    50/50 Im out aint playing that game...good luck to ya
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30365 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The deals I always make with any new permission is on one standing condition only. IF I were to find a cache of gold coins (5 or more is the definition), which I tell the owner, we will split it, using the flip a coin for first dibs method and then not tell anyone of the find. Loose lips sink ships.

Fortunately, at my age I'll probably never find a cache of gold coins.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    NOX899 ATpro
    5346 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    The deals I always make with any new permission is on one standing condition only. IF I were to find a cache of gold coins (5 or more is the definition), which I tell the owner, we will split it, using the flip a coin for first dibs method and then not tell anyone of the find. Loose lips sink ships.

Fortunately, at my age I'll probably never find a cache of gold coins.
    I would agree to that and that seems to be what most of my land owners mention... " I you find a jar of gold coins I get half " I always laugh and say " you defiantly will "...
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

us
    Jan 2020
    Eastern WA
    Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    121 times
    Guy was perfectly reasonable. When I asked what he meant by 50/50 he said he just wanted half if I found a gold cache. I only searched for about 2 hours. I spent a lot of time near the creek, but there was a lot of mud and overgrowth. Got some good signals but couldn't locate some of them in the mud. There were nails and shredded bits of metal all over so it was hard to squeak out many good signals. I found a modern pocket knife, a few modern bullet casings, a pulley, and two pennies. I put it all out on a table and told him he was welcome to anything there. He said I could have it all and I asked if he wanted the pocket knife. He decided to keep that.

He told me I was welcome back as long as I texted him first, but I need some real practice before I go again, I think. I talked to him a bit about the property and he said there was an old trading post where the house is now and people would take their horses to the creek to drink, so I know there's good finds somewhere, I just need to get through the trash or be more meticulous and slow. I'm guessing anything old in the mud would be too deep to detect with the Simplex, but I don't know how deep things sink in a muddy creek.
    Richard Guy likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links