Apex vs Nox 800? - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Apex vs Nox 800?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2020
    538 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I can say the top of the line White's Spectra V3i is a great machine and I have made many nice finds in over 750 hours of use in the field. But not being weather or waterproof limits its versatility. With 50 hours on a new Nox 800 at just over half the cost of the Spectra, it is definitely lighter and more versatile and seemingly to me, goes deeper. These are the only two machines I am qualified to talk about. Really happy with the Nox 800 though.

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex
    2507 times
    Metal Detecting
    My cousin just got a Nox a month ago, took it in the water once for about an hour and thats all she wrote, water got under the screen, fried out and he had to ship it out to a service center - And right before he was set to go beach hopping on the 4th of July.
    Don't think I'll ever take my nox in the water, I am not convinced it is water proof. So it looks like I won't be selling my AT Pro anytime soon either, haven't dunked the Simplex yet either, though just be the feel of the buttons I would say the Simplex is closer to waterproof than the nox.

us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    175 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Xraywolf View Post
    My cousin just got a Nox a month ago, took it in the water once for about an hour and thats all she wrote, water got under the screen, fried out and he had to ship it out to a service center - And right before he was set to go beach hopping on the 4th of July.
    Don't think I'll ever take my nox in the water, I am not convinced it is water proof. So it looks like I won't be selling my AT Pro anytime soon either, haven't dunked the Simplex yet either, though just be the feel of the buttons I would say the Simplex is closer to waterproof than the nox.
    I thought just the coil was waterproof. Is it supposed to be the whole unit?

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex
    2507 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Customx_12 View Post
    I thought just the coil was waterproof. Is it supposed to be the whole unit?
    The nox is advertised as completely submersible up to 10ft I think it is

Jan 2020
    51 times
    I cant trust it enough to dunk my nox.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    33633 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    I have taken my Simplex under water a few times and as of this penning, "knock on wood" no control box or headphone leaks.

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH, Felezjoo
    183 times
    Every MD is submersible, only some of them refuse to work afterwords. lol
    Customx_12 likes this.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, stock coil, 15" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, Simplex, Vanquish 540. sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot, Simplex.
    1027 times
    Relic Hunting
    About the Nox. Came from 3 years with AT Pro and really liked the AT Pro. One of the great success stories in metal detecting.

Yes my 800 leaked and was fixed at no charge by Minelab.
    yes my 800 shaft is hard to tighten down with those hand turned locks so the coil won't wobble but is just managable.
    yes my 800 is noisy if I don't take the time to tame it.
    yes my 800 gave me a quite long learning curve. But Clive Clynick's 3 books on the Equinox will greatly shorten that leaning curve.
    yes the wireless headphones that come with the 800 pretty much are low grade crap in my opinion. that can be fixed with the Trond BH01 headphones.

But when you really, really learn it and quiet it down and set it up properly from your experiences and knowledge (not copying someone else's settings) it one heck of a detector. Especially the adjustable tones and bins which can really quiet things down with no loss in depth.

You are basically getting a coin detector, relic detector, beach detector and gold detector all rolled into one for what $900? But if you have the money to buy four specialized detectors then go for it for what maybe four grand?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links