Apex vs Nox 800? - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Apex vs Nox 800?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2020
    906 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I can say the top of the line White's Spectra V3i is a great machine and I have made many nice finds in over 750 hours of use in the field. But not being weather or waterproof limits its versatility. With 50 hours on a new Nox 800 at just over half the cost of the Spectra, it is definitely lighter and more versatile and seemingly to me, goes deeper. These are the only two machines I am qualified to talk about. Really happy with the Nox 800 though.

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex
    2718 times
    Metal Detecting
    My cousin just got a Nox a month ago, took it in the water once for about an hour and thats all she wrote, water got under the screen, fried out and he had to ship it out to a service center - And right before he was set to go beach hopping on the 4th of July.
    Don't think I'll ever take my nox in the water, I am not convinced it is water proof. So it looks like I won't be selling my AT Pro anytime soon either, haven't dunked the Simplex yet either, though just be the feel of the buttons I would say the Simplex is closer to waterproof than the nox.

us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Xraywolf View Post
    My cousin just got a Nox a month ago, took it in the water once for about an hour and thats all she wrote, water got under the screen, fried out and he had to ship it out to a service center - And right before he was set to go beach hopping on the 4th of July.
    Don't think I'll ever take my nox in the water, I am not convinced it is water proof. So it looks like I won't be selling my AT Pro anytime soon either, haven't dunked the Simplex yet either, though just be the feel of the buttons I would say the Simplex is closer to waterproof than the nox.
    I thought just the coil was waterproof. Is it supposed to be the whole unit?

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    2718 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Customx_12 View Post
    I thought just the coil was waterproof. Is it supposed to be the whole unit?
    The nox is advertised as completely submersible up to 10ft I think it is

Jan 2020
    56 times
    I cant trust it enough to dunk my nox.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
    34895 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    I have taken my Simplex under water a few times and as of this penning, "knock on wood" no control box or headphone leaks.
    RustyGold likes this.

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH
    230 times
    Every MD is submersible, only some of them refuse to work afterwords. lol

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, stock coil, 15" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, Simplex, Vanquish 540. sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot, Simplex. Author of "The
    1056 times
    Relic Hunting
    About the Nox. Came from 3 years with AT Pro and really liked the AT Pro. One of the great success stories in metal detecting.

Yes my 800 leaked and was fixed at no charge by Minelab.
    yes my 800 shaft is hard to tighten down with those hand turned locks so the coil won't wobble but is just managable.
    yes my 800 is noisy if I don't take the time to tame it.
    yes my 800 gave me a quite long learning curve. But Clive Clynick's 3 books on the Equinox will greatly shorten that leaning curve.
    yes the wireless headphones that come with the 800 pretty much are low grade crap in my opinion. that can be fixed with the Trond BH01 headphones.

But when you really, really learn it and quiet it down and set it up properly from your experiences and knowledge (not copying someone else's settings) it one heck of a detector. Especially the adjustable tones and bins which can really quiet things down with no loss in depth.

You are basically getting a coin detector, relic detector, beach detector and gold detector all rolled into one for what $900? But if you have the money to buy four specialized detectors then go for it for what maybe four grand?

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, stock coil, 15" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, Simplex, Vanquish 540. sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot, Simplex. Author of "The
    1056 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by bc5391 View Post
    People I know have already put in pre-orders for the Apex, even tho they already have the Nox, I will wait, I like my Nox and Orx, both are equal, but I do wish the Orx and deus had a depth meter, this time of the year the ground is like concrete, if the target is over 3-4 inches, I usually pass (pennies)
    I wish the 800 had a accurate depth meter.

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    2718 times
    Metal Detecting
    Depth meter is probably the least used feature on any detector I make use of, probably more inaccurate than target id which itself is an electronic best guess. I have long ago stopped even occasionally glancing at it. I wouldn't mind if this "feature" was eliminated all together to make more screen room for actual useful info. I've always thought they incorporate this useless whistle into detectors just to impress newbies, and for marketing. "Wow, you mean to tell me this thing not only tells me exactly what it is, but how deep it is ?? ,, Thats AMAZING, I think I want one !!"

Approximate depth of coin sized items is possible using pinpoint along with strength of the signal - Pinpoint to gauge the size of the target and tone to gauge its depth. If its a small target and its a screamer, you know its at or near the surface. For targets much larger than a coin, accurate depth id is not possible, other than very deep or not too deep.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    1056 times
    Relic Hunting
    yep, terry has it right. Wait till Garrett comes out with a direct competitor to the Equinox series of detectors and that will probably be the replacement of the AT series. Then the comparisons will be interesting.

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2779 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    First, The new Garrett machine is an "Entry Level" machine, meant to compete with the Minelab Vanquish 540, and other entry level multi-freq machines. The Equinox 800 is not and entry level machine - it is an "Intermediate" machine, that would eat the Apex's lunch. Apples and Oranges.
    I hate to say this to you terry but i think you are wrong.
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

Feb 2020
    Colorado
    Minelab SDC 2300, Equinox 800, XP Deus, Gold Kruzer, Teknetics G2+, Tek Point, XP Mi-6, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Keppy View Post
    I hate to say this to you terry but i think you are wrong.
    Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on the Garrett APEX. However, it will have to really impress me to even compete with the Equinox 600. So I think Terry is right on with his assessment. Maybe I will really be surprised. Nothing wrong with that.
    Minelab SDC 2300, Equinox 800, XP Deus, Gold Kruzer, Teknetics G2+, Tek Point, XP Mi-6, Royal Mini Highbanker, Gold Hog River Sluice and Flow Pan

us
    Jul 2012
    Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
    Fisher f75 Teknetics Omega 8000 (Coming soon) Minelab Equinox 800 Have owned Minela b Safari and X terra 705
    1284 times
    All -- esp.Colonial
    Ordered an Apex but cancelled it after some field tests showed it to perform poorly compared to Nox, simplex, Orx. Plus iron sounds very annoying. Not rooting for failure of apex just think Ill wait and see what others have to say about it.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9050 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Looks like a good decision from what I've seen so far.
    ​Avitech Associate

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links