cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We won't know until the Apex has actually been used out in the field for a while, so we have something to compare it to in the real world of detecting.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about Garrett vs. Whites? I always view Whites as more durable, trustworthy, and longer-lasting. Garrett detectors always struck me as one step up from the Big 5 special Bounty Hunter detectors. Am I mistaken?

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you are.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helpful and informative. Dbag

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Apex is the new lower end of the Garrett line. They were hinting that there was more to come later in the year....I interpreted that as a multi frequency AT pro (mid range) more aimed at the Equinox equivilant.
For Example I understand the Apex has no update facility. I think the Apex is more aimed at the Vanquish equivilant ( with the bonus of waterproof) and the Simplex equivilant ( bonus of multi frequency).
Only time will tell. I'm sure there are testers out there that would know but are still under non disclosure agreements?
I love the idea of the Viper coil on the Apex. Its perfectly proportioned for my style of hunting.
I did write back (in the feedback questionaire) to Garrett and suggest Cell phone style rubber covers / screen protectors. Clip on for instant cammo etc.
So yeah,
step 1 - wait for release of Apex (maybe a hiccup or two to resolve like Equinox shaft)

Step two - wait for multi AT pro announcement

Chub

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry. There will be a video posted soon from North Carolina that completely pooh-poohs the Apex over the Nox and of course, commenting will be disabled.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT Gold I really like. Also have an XP Deus. Really the AT Gold is a lot easier to use, easier to find a gold ring. I won a metal detecting contest with it a couple years ago. I know people have said bad things about it. I don't understand unless they secretly work for another manufacturer. I guess it's because Garrett sells more detectors. Can you believe they sold over a million ACE detectors?

Not trying to put down the Nox but when I was shopping I found several things I did not like about it. The big coil was probably the worst. Made it hard to work in trash and was heavy and not well balanced. Weight might be the most important thing about a detector. Have to admit I love to swing the Deus. (BTW, the full Deus is on sale with a pinpointer for just over $1000.) And I didn't like how the VDI scale was so short. Also you can read a lot of people had a hard time learning it.

From everything I can see the APEX is a really nice detector. If I was in the market I would get one. No detector is perfect. Probably what I don't like is the VDI scale can only be notched out in groups of five. The coil is a little different looking kinda longer than I would have made it.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, The new Garrett machine is an "Entry Level" machine, meant to compete with the Minelab Vanquish 540, and other entry level multi-freq machines. The Equinox 800 is not and entry level machine - it is an "Intermediate" machine, that would eat the Apex's lunch. Apples and Oranges.:occasion14:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, bigger heavier coil goes deeper in clean ground. Depth is not everything. Nowadays many places are trashy, and that's where the gold is still sitting. My guess the APEX will outperform there.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, The new Garrett machine is an "Entry Level" machine, meant to compete with the Minelab Vanquish 540, and other entry level multi-freq machines. The Equinox 800 is not and entry level machine - it is an "Intermediate" machine, that would eat the Apex's lunch. Apples and Oranges.:occasion14:

I guess I just think of entry level machines as being at a lower price point. Roughly $600 isn’t peanuts especially for someone new to the hobby who isn’t sure if they’ll enjoy it or not. I think of the $100-200 Bounty Hunter machines as entry level but maybe those are more designed for kids.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't even get started on whose detector or which brand is best blah, blah, blah. What I will say from actual experience is that even the Vanquish 340 has more accurate numerical target ID on coin sized targets at 6" depth or more in salt beach sand, mild dirt, moderately mineralized dirt and especially highly mineralized dirt that is not full of trash than most of the USA made single frequency VLF detectors that I have owned or used and many of them list for over $600 and are way more than the Vanquish 340 at $199. The Vanquish 340 (not the much more feature rich 540 which is even better) can give my Equinox a good tussle for depth and deep target ID accuracy with similar settings and coils if there is not too much aluminum or iron trash to deal with. If there is plenty of trash, the Nox wins/no contest due to target masking which is a Vanquish weak point but, it is a totally entry level detector after all.

If the simultaneous multi frequency Garrett Apex is equally as good as the Vanquish series for target ID accuracy on deeper targets it promises to be quite a detector for the money with all of its good, modern features. Better than the Equinox 600 feature wise (not even close compared to the 800)........ on paper the Apex is not an intermediate level detector and cannot compete with the Nox 600 much less the 800 features. How it detects is what really matters and we will know the answer to that question sometime in September hopefully when some very experienced Equinox owners get their hands on an Apex in the field and give it an honest assessment.

Jeff

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill bet mines bigger then yours....:icon_cheers:

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People I know have already put in pre-orders for the Apex, even tho they already have the Nox, I will wait, I like my Nox and Orx, both are equal, but I do wish the Orx and deus had a depth meter, this time of the year the ground is like concrete, if the target is over 3-4 inches, I usually pass (pennies)

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus has a depth gauge. Not actual numbers but by the amount the horseshoe is blackened or rather not blackened. And on the XY screen the length or ratjher the shortness of the line is a depth indicator. I agree it could be better but it works. Of course any depth indicator is dependant on the target size, etc. Most instructions say depth of "coin-sized" objects. But even within that, a penny or gum wrapper-sized aluminum foil will read deeper than a quarter if at the same depth. A good audio will also help. The Deus has the Audio Response control, you can set it so deeper targets sound fainter if you like.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Opinions are worth 0 without elaboration. Don't even see why anyone would speculate about a detector not even released yet unless they were a fanboy of a competing brand, which you appear to be.
So Minelab releases a detector touting multi freq as the feature that will obsolete all other detectors ,,, Garrett releases a multi freq detector and its an entry level kids toy, ok sure whatever you say.

I think it certainly has the potential to compete with nox, we'll see. I have the nox but haven't been motivated to put much time into it. Doing terrible in air tests, can barely get 4" from a penny. Hate the stunted VDI, tough to tell what they were thinking releasing an intentionally hobbled readout like that. Don't care for the ergonomics in general and the shaft seems to be loose and wobbly no matter what adjustments are fiddled with. Have heard multiple complaints that it leaks when dunked, and water capabilities was one of the main reasons I got it [as a backup for my AT]
That said, I am not going to trash it until I get some field time and develop opinions on its capabilities with actual use.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing terrible in air tests, can barely get 4" from a penny. Hate the stunted VDI, tough to tell what they were thinking releasing an intentionally hobbled readout like that. Don't care for the ergonomics in general and the shaft seems to be loose and wobbly no matter what adjustments are fiddled with. Have heard multiple complaints that it leaks when dunked, and water capabilities was one of the main reasons I got it [as a backup for my AT]
That said, I am not going to trash it until I get some field time and develop opinions on its capabilities with actual use.

Sure looks like you Trashed the Nox to me. After using the AT Pro and the Nox 800 I sold the ATP. Not nearly as deep, slower, heavier, not nearly the audio adjustments, and tiny screen IMO. But I'm not going to Trash the AT Pro

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure looks like you Trashed the Nox to me. After using the AT Pro and the Nox 800 I sold the ATP. Not nearly as deep, slower, heavier, not nearly the audio adjustments, and tiny screen IMO. But I'm not going to Trash the AT Pro

My direct observations with a machine in hand are my perfect right and hardly trashing, I've read lots of complaints about the wonky VDI, wobbly shaft and leaks - At least I am not making detracting guesses about a detector that hasn't even been released to the public yet. I hope it pans out with the nox, I can live with its flaws if it delivers. Been doing so well with the simplex that I haven't felt the need to try.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also heard issues with the Nox headphones. Don't know about the APEX.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread